Stopped breastfeeding 10 days ago, still have painful breasts - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-16-2008, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I thought I was going to have it easy--the first 7 days there was no leaking or pain. But now my nipples have been leaking a clear fluid and my breasts are very painful when pressed on. There seems to be a lot of hard lumps.

Is there something I should be doing, or does this go away on its own?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds painful!! Do you have a fever? My first thought is mastitis. It's a condition that can occur whenever breastfeeding is reduced. As the breasts become more and more engorged, there's a greater chance for a blocked milk duct(s). If it doesn't naturally resolve, it can turn into mastitis, an infection/inflammation of the breasts. The clear fluid may be pus and the hard/lumpy texture tells me there's probably several blocked ducts. If you have a fever or other signs of illness, it's probably mastitis. You really need to see a doctor to have your symptoms evaluated; you may need antibiotics.

Good luck!

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Old 11-17-2008, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm already taking antibiotics for something else. Maybe that's why I don't have a fever? My breasts are still extremely painful when touched. I keep putting off making a doctor appointment because I'm sure by the time I actually get to have an appointment it will be resolved. And I wonder what could be done besides antibiotics, which I'm already on.

Does anyone know how long this takes to resolve on antibiotics?
Old 11-19-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellesmommy View Post
I wonder what could be done besides antibiotics, which I'm already on.
I've never had mastitis, but I've had blocked ducts. What worked for me was to spend some time in a hot, hot shower, massaging the painful spots. The milk let-down that will occur helps clear the ducts and the heat is soothing. You could probably use a hot water bottle too. It's a catch-22 though, because by relieving the pain you'll release any milk blocked which may encourage more production. I would see an OB/GYN and maybe try the hot shower massage.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Old 11-19-2008, 03:35 PM

If you stopped nursing abruptly, then it is most likely mastitis.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
Old 11-20-2008, 03:35 AM

I think I heard that sage and peppermint are helpful for stopping lactation (I only know because I avoid them since I'm nursing). It sounds like mastitis to me since you have the clear liquid...how painful (also, try cold cabbage leaves in your bra)
Old 11-20-2008, 09:20 PM

I have had more than my share of infections. I would do hot compresses, showers with massage (gentle), and try sage and peppermint to try to dry up the milk you have stuck in there.

Any abx won't work on mastitis. You need the right one. They usually prescribe dicloxacillin first. You might need to switch. I'd call your doctor.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:01 AM

I have a similar problem that I am facing. I am trying to wean my 32 month old son. He still wants to nurse at night time when going to bed so I am cutting him down to about 1 minute. The problem lies the next evening after the day I can get very engorged and my breasts are so painful and lumpy. I am suprised that this is still happening to me.

Does anyone know how I can wean with out getting engorged breasts?
Old 11-22-2008, 02:10 AM

Mint and sage to reduce supply. Cool cabbage leaf compress to sooth engorgement. Minimize nipple stimulation.

Growing babies, fruits, veges, and chickens on our little urban homestead in the frozen north
Old 11-22-2008, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmommy View Post
Mint and sage to reduce supply. Cool cabbage leaf compress to sooth engorgement. Minimize nipple stimulation.
How should the mint and sage be taken? Fresh or in a tea?

To the original poster: Here is a link that I found that might help.
http://www.bflrc.com/ljs/breastfeeding/dryupfst.htm

User Tag List