When do you start decorating for Christmas? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 11-27-2008, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This weekend. Neither DP or I work Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday so it works great. DP's mom's birthday is Sunday but we should be done decorating by then

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#32 of 47 Old 11-27-2008, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We were going to start when we returned from the in laws tomorrow, but we started this afternoon. We had a lovely time making the paper chain and putting up one tree.
#33 of 47 Old 11-27-2008, 02:30 AM

I refuse to do anything before the 1st Sunday of Advent. I usually wait until the 2nd or 3rd Sunday of Advent to decorate the tree & get out the X-mas CDs and videos.

Tree and decorations are taken down on Epiphany (Jan 6th).
#34 of 47 Old 11-27-2008, 02:41 PM

we usually put our tree up the weekend after thanksgiving and that's what we're doing this year. Baby is due Dec 26th, and I told hubby that I don't want to be responsible for putting the tree together, all that stuff so if he wants it up this year, he has to do it. He agreed, so that's why it's happening this year!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#35 of 47 Old 11-27-2008, 05:00 PM

I do all of it myself - with pretty much NO help. Its a lot of work - we have a 4000 sq ft home and I go all out and decorate it - top to bottom! So for all that work I want it up long enough to enjoy it. This year I am determined to have most of my christmas stuff done by December 01st.

I spent all last week decorating the house -- took a full 7 days!. This week I have been working on putting together my gift packages for my clients and Christmas cards. I am aiming to have that all done by Sunday night. Monday is December 01st!!

We have cut back this year due to the economy - so I only have to shop for something for DH and DS. Then we adopted a single mom and 2 kids through family services for Christmas. So I will finish that up next week.

I may do some christmas baking in December .. but only if I feel like it : - )

I usually take the christmas decorations down January 01st and 02nd.
#36 of 47 Old 11-27-2008, 05:02 PM

When my mother arrives for her Christmas visit and I ask her to do it for me. Seriously I love decorating for Christmas but I've had too much catch-up schoolwork the last few years, oh yeah plus a baby/ toddler.
#37 of 47 Old 11-29-2008, 11:24 AM

We do ours the Friday after Thanksgiving, every year. This year was no exception.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#38 of 47 Old 11-29-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody'smomma View Post
We usually decorate after T-day but with a baby due the first week of December, I'm going to do it this week. Plus, T-day is kind late this year so I feel ok doing it now.
yeah. Thanksgiving was one week later in the year than usual. It is always the fourth Thursday in November, but there was an extra week because of how the months fell if you count back to the beginning of the year.

I think.

I was wondering why the holidays seemed so late until my gf TRIED to explain it to me..

That said, I usually like to have my tree up (but not ALL the Christmas decorations) if I am having guests over for Thanksgiving, and I put stockings and such up in December..

this year I am WAY behind, and the late Tday date makes me feel EVEN LATER.:
#39 of 47 Old 11-29-2008, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
We pulled out the nativity stuff and a few other decorations yesterday, day after Thanksgiving. We always have real trees so we wait until at least halfway through December to get one to be sure it stays fresh. I think we'll scavenge some evergreen branches and pinecones, maybe some holly, and decorate with that stuff soon.
#40 of 47 Old 11-29-2008, 04:01 PM

We decorate on the weekend before Christmas. The tree only gets its decorations on 23. Dec.
#41 of 47 Old 11-29-2008, 06:03 PM

My tree is up.
#42 of 47 Old 11-29-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not now View Post
My tree is up.
My tree s up now too, but it isn't decorated yet. I guess some of our lights didn't make it through the move.
#43 of 47 Old 11-30-2008, 07:24 PM

Update- everything is decorated! Somehow my old tree lights didn't make the move from the old house, so we went out and got some new ones. Once I got started- well, I didn't stop and everything is done now, except that I need to find some kind of hangars for the stockings..
#44 of 47 Old 11-30-2008, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

im half done

inlaws ended up canceling so i didnt stress to get it done before thanksgiving. but got two trees up, will get one decorated today. the other will get done this week while the kids are in school. i have a majority of the knick knack things up, just need to put up all my greeneries.

hubby will probably do lights this week after work. he gets home early monday and tuesday
#45 of 47 Old 11-30-2008, 10:21 PM

Today was our last fall hurrah (we decided to hold on for a few more days). We made a semi-Thanksgiving dinner (we went to relatives on TH. so we wanted our own with leftovers) with turkey, stuffing, potatoes/gravy, veggies, rolls, etc. Watched some football.

Tomorrow the corn stalks (outside) are gone, the wreaths will go up. Lights will be done/in progress, Christmas cards will be dropped in the mail, and we may even get our tree after school. The tree won't be decorated until Tuesday at the earliest, though. I'll probably hang stockings tonight to surprise the kids in the morning.

:

Thankfully, cranberry red is one of the main decor colors in my house so I'm halfway there.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#46 of 47 Old 12-01-2008, 02:26 PM

Here I decorate after DS1's birthday party. His birthday is Dec 3rd and since it is so early in Dec we decided that the Christmas decorations can wait until after his party (this year it is the 7th) so they don't overshadow his birthday. I remember as a kid sometimes we didn't decorate until the week of Christmas! It was always exciting to put the tree up and get the decorations out as kids, I don't ever remember wanting to do it any earlier.
#47 of 47 Old 12-01-2008, 03:52 PM

We got the music and the Christmas Playmobil out yesterday. The kids have played with nothing but that since then.

It's always a struggle in my house because DH is ready to get it all out (including a tree) on Dec 1 and I personally would decorate at about that time but hold the tree until the weekend before Christmas.

I just remember how I enjoyed the decorations and staring at the tree between Christmas and New Year as a kid (we got a real one and left it up till Epiphany) and I find that when the tree is up too early, it completely loses its magic, and needles, as soon as the presents are unwrapped.

To me, the holiday season is from Dec 20ish to Jan 6th and I guess that to him it's from Dec 1 to Boxing Day. So we compromise.

I'm hoping to hold off the decorations to next weekend and the tree to the following one. He's hoping to decorate tonight and get the tree next weekend. We'll see what happens.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page