(Settle a friendly fight) Poll: Towel sharing - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Do members of your household have their own designated towels?
Yes, it seems most hygeinic to keep towels separate when possible. 94 100.00%
No, that's psycho, what are you, a control freak? 89 100.00%
Other (Please explain) 29 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 85 Old 12-12-2008, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to be the only one that's using the towel I am currently using but once it's washed and stacked and ready to go I am fine with everybody using whatever color.
#62 of 85 Old 12-12-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzmama View Post
We each have our own bath towel. Hand towels are shared by everyone.
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
I voted other. Because we don't have "designated towels" in the way that the OP mentioned. All our towels are the same style/color, but we each have a different place to hang our towels that we use after bath/shower. I wash them all once a week (you're supposed to be clean after you get out of the shower, right? ).
:
#63 of 85 Old 12-12-2008, 10:17 PM

Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by seperate. Do you mean even AFTER they're washed he can only use his towel?

Or do you just mean that while a person is using a towel, that towel is THEIRS, and not to be used by anyone else?

Personally, I think it's disgusting to share towels. As in used towels. Like if I used the towel my partnered just dried himself off with ... that, to me, is gross. Call me crazy, as I know we share lots of bodily fluids anyway. But, that kind of sharing isn't for hygenic purposes. Whereas a towel IS.

Even after you're clean, you still rub off skin cells. There was one time where my partner had some major skin irritation from a soap. I mean, it looked BAD. There was no way I was going to use his towel after seeing his skin!

I just think when it comes to hygenic items, everyone should have one of their own. So, everyone gets their own towel, their own toothbrush, etc.

We don't assign towels, though. We have a bunch of different colors, and whichever one we choose to use is ours for the duration of our use.

My grandma, on the other hand, does assign towels ... and dishware. I find that odd. As if it's clean - why can't anyone choose to use it?

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#64 of 85 Old 12-13-2008, 12:31 AM

we share towels. we are gross like that.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#65 of 85 Old 12-13-2008, 03:39 PM

DH and I use a different color towel during the week. Towels get washed once a week. After they are washed, they go back into the stack and it doesn't matter who gets which one, but once it's back on the towel rack - if it's not the one you picked out, you don't use it. It is better to use different towels, that way if someone ends up with pink eye or some other infection, the other person is less likely to. We could share towels, and we could share a tooth brush, but that kind of grosses me out.
#66 of 85 Old 12-13-2008, 04:54 PM

We don't share in between washings, once a towel is taken off the stack and hung in a person's towel spot we don't share. We don't have colors though, just pink. My DH doesn't mind though.

I do.

I rinse my undercarriage with the shower wand (it's one of those ones with a hose you can take down and use) very well, but I know my husband doesn't bother. How clean can a person's hairy neither region really get if they don't rinse it with direct water spray? I gather not very much. It actually makes me barf in my mouth a little to think about it.

I saw my husband once vigorously drying the "taint" region as you ladies say, and I just about died.

I don't want to use a towel that has abrasively dried an anus. Sorry.

:
#67 of 85 Old 12-14-2008, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
DH and I use a different color towel during the week. Towels get washed once a week. After they are washed, they go back into the stack and it doesn't matter who gets which one, but once it's back on the towel rack - if it's not the one you picked out, you don't use it. It is better to use different towels, that way if someone ends up with pink eye or some other infection, the other person is less likely to. We could share towels, and we could share a tooth brush, but that kind of grosses me out.
My DH and I once shared a toothbrush for weeks without knowing it. I had replaced them both, got a green one for me and a blue one for him. Well, I have color "issues". Not color blinde, but color challenged. For some reason I thought the blue was purple, and since that is my favorite color, I was using that one.

When I saw him brushing one morning I said "Oh, that is blue, I have been accidentally using that brush for a while now."

I know he loves me, because he said "You have been using my toothbrush?", then shrugged, and kept brushing

But I got him a new one the next day.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#68 of 85 Old 12-14-2008, 03:52 AM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcelain Interior View Post
I don't want to use a towel that has abrasively dried an anus. Sorry.

:

No color-coded towels here, and they do get used more than once, but we don't share bath towels.

Honestly, I don't trust how well other people wash their butts.

And anyway, DH and I both work in environments where we come home smelling like cooking oil and smoke, and if we shared a towel it would never be dry. Often, we both shower twice a day.

My older son has his own bathroom, and nobody else showers there.
#69 of 85 Old 12-14-2008, 04:29 AM

Ok I feel like a total psycho and control freak. THe kids each have their own towel with their full name machine embroidered. As soon as DH finishes redoing our bathroom I want to completely replace all of our towels so that they are all the same color. I want to have them all monogrammed with our last name's initial. :

For Christmas I bought my five nieces and nephews $5 towels at WalMart and I took them to the sports shop and had each of their names machine embroidered.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#70 of 85 Old 12-14-2008, 04:43 AM

I voted other...None of towels match in our house so generally we know whose towel is whose. But we have been known to switch around and just grab whatever is closest. My son goes through a lot of towels and tends to leave them lying all over the house so I just shake them off and put them back in the cupboard if they are dry and not covered with cat hair...whose psycho now I figure it is better than losing my mind doing extra laundry

Kris wife to Stew and mom to Joey 8/03 who cares for , 2 frogs and a worm
#71 of 85 Old 12-14-2008, 05:01 AM

I voted "other". Usually we just pull one out of the linen closet and use it, and then it goes in the laundry. But occasionally the towels will all be in the washer or dryer or something, so dh will use the towel I used that morning and forgot to throw in the laundry or I'll use the one he forgot to put in the laundry.

So, usually we have our own, but it's not the end of the world if we share.

ETA: We don't have specific towels though. We just use whichever one we grab from the linen closet. No red for me, blue for him and green for ds or anything. Just grab whatever is clean for the most part.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

#72 of 85 Old 12-14-2008, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyflakes View Post
My DH and I once shared a toothbrush for weeks without knowing it. I had replaced them both, got a green one for me and a blue one for him. Well, I have color "issues". Not color blinde, but color challenged. For some reason I thought the blue was purple, and since that is my favorite color, I was using that one.

When I saw him brushing one morning I said "Oh, that is blue, I have been accidentally using that brush for a while now."

I know he loves me, because he said "You have been using my toothbrush?", then shrugged, and kept brushing

But I got him a new one the next day.
LOL... that's funny!

The morning dh left for Iraq this deployment I asked him "Where's my toothbrush?". He pointed to his. I was like "No, that's yours."

Turns out he packed mine because he thought it was his. Who knows how long we had been sharing a toothbrush.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

#73 of 85 Old 12-14-2008, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic_angel View Post
Honestly, I do not think that designating differant towels for individuals is something that would have ever crossed my mind and I have definately never known anyone who did this...
That doesn't mean you're "psycho"
Quote:
Originally Posted by not now View Post
We have a bunch of different color/style towels that we just accumulated as single people and combined when we began living together. That said, we don't claim one towel. Two towels are hung and we use whichever towel is dry. There's no way the man would remember which is his and it's not worth the hassle. We use the same towels until I remember to change them out.

Yeah, he uses it to clean his crotch, armpits and rear but we have a child together so obviously I've already had skin to skin contact with those parts. At least the towel touched those parts when they were just-out-of-the-shower clean.
:

We do give house guests their own, easily identifiable towels, though.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#74 of 85 Old 12-14-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarbebe View Post
Ok I feel like a total psycho and control freak. THe kids each have their own towel with their full name machine embroidered. As soon as DH finishes redoing our bathroom I want to completely replace all of our towels so that they are all the same color. I want to have them all monogrammed with our last name's initial. :

For Christmas I bought my five nieces and nephews $5 towels at WalMart and I took them to the sports shop and had each of their names machine embroidered.
A monogramming addiction is in a whole different catagory. I have lots of monogrammed stuff.

Both of my kids do have a towel with their name embroidered on it, which I failed to mention above.

I like monograms.
#75 of 85 Old 12-14-2008, 05:27 PM

We share towels in our family - they are all the same color, and we just hang them up on the rack when we're done. When the next person goes to shower, they just grab any towel off the rack.

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.
#76 of 85 Old 12-15-2008, 04:15 AM

We have our own towels just b/c I like the huge bath sheets and DH couldn't care less. So my towels are the ones that match the main bathroom and his match the master bath.

obstruct livery vehicles

#77 of 85 Old 12-15-2008, 05:35 PM

all towels are community towels in our house but bath towels really don't get used more than twice. I hang the towel I use for my hair on the shower bar. The next morning DH uses it as his bath towel. Being that it was only used to dry clean hair, I don't think he views it as dirty.

we don't have too many boundaries when it comes to stuff like that, it is sort of like we don't consider each other's germs to be gross

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#78 of 85 Old 12-16-2008, 03:40 AM

I chose "other." During the week, we each have a separate towel. I try to make sure the colors are very opposite...like lime green for me and dark purple for him. Once they come out of the wash they are fair game. I do not want to dry myself with his used towels. : I don't want his feet, crotch and crack cooties being rubbed all over my face. I know we share a bit having hot sweaty monkey sex, but I don't rub my face in his heiny then, either. I'm sure he doesn't want to dry himself with any of my vag goo that occurs when I'm ovulating. And, I'm like another person, I try to designate once side for my upper half and the other for my bottom half. See, I don't want to dry my face with my own butt. Speaking of towels, my friend and her dh do share towels. But he keeps a little hand towel to one side that he has designated as his "ball towel."

ETA: Ds has his own towels...2 of them. One is Elmo. The other is Spiderman. And he has to be wrapped in them in a very specific way after his bath. He doesn't use our towels because they aren't cool like his.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#79 of 85 Old 12-16-2008, 03:49 AM

Who actually dries their anus with their towel?
#80 of 85 Old 12-16-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMike View Post
And, I'm like another person, I try to designate once side for my upper half and the other for my bottom half. See, I don't want to dry my face with my own butt. Speaking of towels, my friend and her dh do share towels. But he keeps a little hand towel to one side that he has designated as his "ball towel."
You made me laugh out loud! Love the ball towel! I don't laugh "out loud" very often.

I haven't read every single response, but my response was possibly the one you referred to regarding separate drying zones even on my *own* towel.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#81 of 85 Old 12-16-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
this x100.

seriously.

eww.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#82 of 85 Old 12-16-2008, 05:44 PM

The poll is so close, I had to vote! Our towels are pretty random in color/design, but once they come out of the cupboard and are used, I do not want to share at all. DH does think I'm psycho, but he just tries to go along with it. I use my towel(s) about 3 times (my previous days hair towel becomes the next days body towel) but dh will go longer. If it stays in use for a week, I will just put his towel in the hamper and he will be forced to get a clean one. I have been known to confront him with an angry "did you use my towel"?! if I grab mine off the rack and it is wet. I would never use his washcloth!

They are hung randomly on a rack in our bathroom, so we each need to remember which is which (sometimes this is hard for dh ). DD has special pink towels, which are a little smaller than the ones we use but any clean towel can be used by any person if needed, as long as they remember which it is. Hand towels are shared, but changed about every other day.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#83 of 85 Old 12-16-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post
I can't imagine washing towels after one use of drying while clean!

All three of us have matching towels, but different areas for drying. No overlap. I honestly don't want my husband's taint rubbed towel on my face, thankyouverymuch.
. This reminds me of a time DH showered and used 'my' towel and was about to hang it back up and I had to say to him 'If you just dried your buttcrack with that, it's yours'.

In our house, sharing for hands, we each use one for showers, but there is no one designated towel for the adults, the kids have a special one they each got as babies.

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#84 of 85 Old 12-16-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
I voted other. Because we don't have "designated towels" in the way that the OP mentioned. All our towels are the same style/color, but we each have a different place to hang our towels that we use after bath/shower. I wash them all once a week (you're supposed to be clean after you get out of the shower, right? ).
Same here (except none of our towels match). It doesn't matter what towel you use, you just keep it on your towel place and throw it in the laundry after a week.

I have one wonderful husband and one wonderful little toddler boy!
#85 of 85 Old 12-16-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
I don't go digging around my anus with my towel, but I like my crack to be dry. I hate a damp crack.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page