(Settle a friendly fight) Poll: Towel sharing - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Do members of your household have their own designated towels?
Yes, it seems most hygeinic to keep towels separate when possible. 94 100.00%
No, that's psycho, what are you, a control freak? 89 100.00%
Other (Please explain) 29 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all, bf thinks I'm psycho for preferring that members of the family have their own towels. I bought one for him that is a different color from ours so that he can use it when he's here. I wash everyone's towels once a week. I do not mind if he needs to use my towel occasionally, but I do not want just anything goes with towel use. So, what is it like in your family?
#2 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 09:20 AM

Honestly, I do not think that designating differant towels for individuals is something that would have ever crossed my mind and I have definately never known anyone who did this...
That doesn't mean you're "psycho"

Allison~~ Mommy to 4 amazing troublemakers Newlywed to David Throwing in the towel on Fertility treatments after TTC for 5+ yrs. Simplifying our life in anticipation of cross country move in 2011
#3 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 09:20 AM

We don't have designated towels, like monogrammed or different colors or anything. But we have a lot of towels, so we just use one per shower or bath, and then it goes in the hamper. We do share a towel for drying hands after washing them. If we're doing it right, it's just clean water coming off on the towel.
#4 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 09:54 AM

We each have our own bath towel. Hand towels are shared by everyone.

Susan hippie.gif Mama to DD (15) guitar.gif : DD (18) geek.gif & cat.gif
goorganic.jpg Rainbow.gifjoy.giftreehugger.gif winner.jpg coolshine.gifribbongrey.gif
#5 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 10:12 AM

Separate ones for each child, dh and I have one each but can't tell them apart so it doesn't really matter. I am not in the camp of a new towel after each shower so different colored towels makes it easy for the kids to tell which is whose. My mom did this as well. If I washed every towel after every shower I would be doing waaaay too much laundry.
#6 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama369 View Post
We don't have designated towels, like monogrammed or different colors or anything. But we have a lot of towels, so we just use one per shower or bath, and then it goes in the hamper. We do share a towel for drying hands after washing them. If we're doing it right, it's just clean water coming off on the towel.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#7 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 11:11 AM

I voted other. Because we don't have "designated towels" in the way that the OP mentioned. All our towels are the same style/color, but we each have a different place to hang our towels that we use after bath/shower. I wash them all once a week (you're supposed to be clean after you get out of the shower, right? ).
#8 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 11:12 AM

At home (I mean with my parents ) we each had a few sets of towels of our own, and a bunch that was shared.

I still do that - most towels are either mine or DP's (although obviously it's not the end of the world if someone uses someone else's towel ), the rest is shared.

DD has a few towels of her own too

I don't think it's weird to have your own separate towels anyway

Mommy to DD bouncy.gif born August 2008 

#9 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 11:15 AM

Everyone shares, but towels are washed after one use.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#10 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
I voted other. Because we don't have "designated towels" in the way that the OP mentioned. All our towels are the same style/color, but we each have a different place to hang our towels that we use after bath/shower. I wash them all once a week (you're supposed to be clean after you get out of the shower, right? ).
: Except for my towels. They are totally different to all the others, and woe betide anyone who uses them. They are actually older and thinner than the rest of the towels, but I freak out if anyone so much as looks at them. I have a body one and a hair one, hence the plural.
#11 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 11:41 AM

We each have our own towel, but it's no different from other towels...

We do not have "special" towels that only one person can use, but we also don't share towels when they are in use.

We wash the towels and get a new one, but it's not like we have specific towels that only one person can use after it's clean.

So long as I don't have to towel off with his wet from just used towel, it makes no difference.

Now, that being said, I do have two towels that I use most often and never he. But that's only because I've had them for years and they are those "body sheet" sized towel, I like to wrap myself in them and I've got more "bulk" than he, so he uses the "smaller normal" towels. But if he wanted to use one of my "special" towels it wouldn't make any difference to me so long as he has one and we don't have to share at the same time.
#12 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 11:45 AM

I voted we each have our own towel. And we do. It just varies from week to week See, we have a ton of highly random towels collected over the years. Mostly they all look differnt. And we each have one and use it for a while and then get a new one and occasionally wash them. So, we don't share towels, or at least, not used towels If that makes sense?
#13 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We all share the "hand towel" (actually a bath-sized towel) that hangs behind the bathroom door to use after washing our hands.

Then we each have our own towels for use after showering or taking baths. We each have a separate place to keep these towels- I have a hook in the bathroom, DS has a hook in his room, DD1 and DD2 have special places in the bedroom.

But sometimes the towels get mixed up- DS might forget his towel in his room and then grab mine, I've used DD1's by mistake, etc. It's really not a big deal.

ETA: I think of "new" towels as "freshly washed." I mean, 90% of them were either hand-me-downs from family or purchased in a thrift store to begin with! I don't have the storage space to give everybody their own separate towels that nobody else EVER uses!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#14 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 11:50 AM

I can't imagine washing towels after one use of drying while clean!

All three of us have matching towels, but different areas for drying. No overlap. I honestly don't want my husband's taint rubbed towel on my face, thankyouverymuch.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#15 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 11:50 AM

LOL, I just couldn't bring myself to click "you psycho."

We keep two towels in each bathroom, and there are three of us including the toddler. I wash them when they seem musty, every few uses. We kind of try to stick to the same towels, but I never remember which is mine so I just take whichever is dry. DS gets grumpy if we try to give him the "Daddy towel" so I guess he's in your camp.
#16 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 11:53 AM

well we try to keep the towels separate but it never works out that way, due to me which makes my DH crazy (I have this thing about using 2 towels-one for my body-one for my hair-) but since we had the baby its not really the priority just the cleanliness of the towels is...

Thinking about it, growing up we were colored coordinated in our towels-it helped my mom figure out who was using the extra towels and making extra laundry for her....

lady.gif Proud Mama of Lil "Big" Roc  banana.gifand Lil Roman superhero.gif 
#17 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 12:25 PM

I don't think you are psycho but in my house we generally share 1 bath towel and 1 hand towel among the 3 of us. We hang it up when we are done.
I wash towels once a week or as needed.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#18 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post
I honestly don't want my husband's taint rubbed towel on my face, thankyouverymuch.
:
I would love to have a drying space for each person. Unfortunately, DH would rather toss his wet towel on the bed I've caught him using "my" towel on his stinky feet
I'm hoping when the bathroom gets re-modeled, it will end our towel wars!

The color-coding thing is neat, but our towels are a mis-match. If I were to ever go buy all new towels (not going to happen) I would, in theory, color-code.

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#19 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We each use a designated towel until washday, then each take a clean towel. I don't mind a little towel sharing with ds but would rather not with dh, knowing how thoroughly he dries his parts and also not wanting that on my face.

Ds just wraps a towel around himself for a minute and then runs around and air dries.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#20 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 12:45 PM

I assigned everyone a specific towel color, only because if I didn't they would try to use the same towel for a week, but would forget which one was theirs, dump it in the wash, and I'd spend my whole life washing towels.

Even after a good shower, there are some skin issues that can be passed by the shared use of towels.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#21 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 12:48 PM

I'm kind of a towel weirdo. Everyone has 2 of their own towels. Dh and I share but I have to have 2, one for my body and one for my hair. But our 6 year old regularly uses our towel and I have no issue with that at all.
#22 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 01:12 PM

I didn't vote because I don't think it's psycho, but we don't designate towels.

That said, I've CONSIDERED it in the past. I don't know how DH does it, but he seems to get his towels really, really wet and then they smell (mildewy I guess). And for a while, I couldn't really get them clean. Then I tried (for other reasons) making my own laundry soap, and that did the trick! Now his towels still smell sort of mildewy or something after he just used it, but they come out of the wash smelling just fine.

If he used a towel and has it hanging to dry (or, more likely, laying on a bed making it smell like wet towel, lol) I will not use it. But after it goes through the wash, it's fair game.

He has been known to reuse a towel I've used but not washed.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#23 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 01:13 PM

In our house you use the towel you pull from the closet for a couple of days and then put it in the wash. If by accident you grab someone elses in the morning when you get out of the shower its no big deal. But generally you stick with your own.

Hand towels are used by all.
#24 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 02:13 PM

I voted other... we share towels but since the boys usually take a bath together they each have their own towel that they use when they get out of the tub, but only because I need to be drying two people off at the same time... they shared the bath water though so that in itself may be too gross for some. Hubby or I will use their towels or they will use our towels depending on who bathed first and if one is just too wet....

that said if we have ickies going around, for us that usually means head cold and snot I try and use a clean out of the cabinet towel after each bath.

We each have towels that we like and try and grab first because they are fun or have a certain character on them... I guess that's monogramming in a way... cabbage patch kid for me, superman, scooby, the one with the fish...
#25 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama369 View Post

same here. I know lots of people re-use their towels but I wash them pretty much after every use. I do *try* to not use two myself each time by drying my body then using that towel for my hair but it doesn't always happen.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#26 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 03:03 PM

That's way too much effort. I put out 2 towels and they get used by whomever and 2 days later they get put in the wash and new ones get put out.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#27 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 03:07 PM

Once a towel is pulled from the linen closet, it is dedicated to that person until it is washed. With the girls, it is not so much a big deal since they are not funky yet. I could not imagine using DH's damp towel, the thought makes my skin crawl and he is someone I love dearly. So we have separate places to hang the up in the bathroom, he gets the towel rack and I use the hook. He is responsible for putting his towel in the laundry and taking out a new one when he wants, so I don't know how long he uses it. I generally use mine for about a week, maybe less in the summer.
#28 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 03:15 PM

A towel is dedicated to a person between washings. Once washed, people just take the next towel off the stack.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#29 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
That's way too much effort. I put out 2 towels and they get used by whomever and 2 days later they get put in the wash and new ones get put out.
Yup, that is pretty much how we roll here. It's hard enough for me to keep on top of the laundry.
#30 of 85 Old 12-08-2008, 03:50 PM

My life is too short to be worrying about keeping track of the towels. Two towels get put out each day(sometimes one "wanders" away, then a third might make it out of the closet), everyone uses them(because it's after a shower...when we're clean). The next day new towels get put out.

The only time this changes is during my period or if someone in the family is sick/contagious.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page