Do you wear your outside shoes...inside? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you wear your public shoes...inside?
Yes 26 12.38%
No 144 68.57%
Sometimes 40 19.05%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not fond of going barefoot. I've had foot surgery and they are supersensetive to temperture changes and stubbing my big toe will leave me crying. I wear real shoes in my own home all the time. I would object if someone asked me to take off my shoes. Slippers do not cut it.

I can see having a day to day rule for family but if I were inviting some friends over a little muck on the carpet seems like part of the deal like washing dishes. It seems rude to tell an adult what to wear. The two times I've been asked to take off shoes have been left me feeling like I wasn't good enough to be in the person's house (this was before the foot issues.) It isn't part of the culture here and I'm not likely to have brought anything extra wear.

I tried designating some inside shoes just to make life easier on myself but I always forget and wear them out to the store.
#32 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 05:27 PM

I don't. It grosses me out and I hate shoes anyway. I'd be barefoot all the time if I could.

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#33 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 06:40 PM

Yes we do. It saves a lot of cleaning time. I don't ask visitors.

Carma
#34 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPotato View Post
We used to wear shoes inside (my parents do , as do dh's), but when we found out that our last house had exterior lead paint we stopped immediately. Our new house is lead paint free and we have carried over the habit- our dd is 3 and her toys and her body are all over the floor constantly (and I'm bad about vacuuming as often as I should!) We have a mudroom that is entered through the garage, so all of our shoes, coats, etc. live there-- it's totally by favorite thing about the house! I'm moderately freaky about other people taking off their shoes here-- I try not to spazz in my head, but if someone leaves them on inside I will often make a point of vacuuming once they leave. Our parents all know our history and will oblige us when they come to stay, even though they all make a point of acting like I'm being a little crazy.
that is my DREAM! Garage, mudroom, house, i am soo envious! Like many PP we try not to wear shoes in the house due to mud, ickies, but i will run to the potty, grab something i forgot (my water, everyday, running back inside to get my water!) or carry in groceries all while shod and not stress over it.
#35 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 07:10 PM

We leave our shoes in an untidy pile by the front door. Mostly because we hate to wear shoes, lol. I don't make guests remove their shoes but most take off their shoes when they see the big pile by the front door.
#36 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We often don't wear our shoes indoors, just because it's more comfortable not to. But I have no qualms about putting my shoes on and walking around the house before leaving in the mornings, or coming home and leaving them on while I putter around the house doing various activities.

Between my varioius physical ailments, I can't imagine taking off my shoes and putting them back on constantly. Bending and tying/buckling shoes is difficult for me, and walking in clogs isn't so safe.

I remember my Grandma would often walk around barefoot so she could "avoid getting mud in the house." And then she'd go outside barefoot and track all the dirt in on her bare feet anyway.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#37 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 07:20 PM

Our shoes come off inside. So do guests. MIL and FIL are exempt from our rule, though, since they are elderly and have mobility issues. They get around better with shoes on. We made the rule due to our kids having elevated lead levels, and it helped the levels come down. I also like that our floors stay clean now! I always let people know about the rule before coming over so they can wear socks/bring slippers. I went to a playgroup once where the mom has a no shoe rule. I did not know it then, so I did not have socks on. I was a bit embarrassed to be barefoot in her house. Now I know better so I wear socks.
#38 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 09:41 PM

Im not a big fan of shoes period so even when I was younger I had my shoes off 99% of the time. Now its a rule in my family to take your shoes off when you come in. Even my 22 month old knows to take her shoes off as soon as she steps inside. My husband usually walks to the couch to take them off though since his is boots and needs to be untied (I wear either flip flops or slip ons for ease of coming off and on). We live in Japan now and its considered rude to leave your shoes on inside someones home

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#39 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 09:47 PM

I try not to but we sometimes do. It's always dry here so I don't have to worry tracking wet things in the house. I take DS's shoes off right away and I usually do mine but sometimes I am wearing them. DH is horrible though, he never takes his shoes off when he gets home from work.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#40 of 80 Old 12-11-2008, 10:16 AM

I don't like to wear shoes either and I never wear my shoes in the house. It's not about keeping my hardwood floors clean, but about keeping all the nastiness (lead, pesticides, etc.) from the bottom of shoes out of the house. I even take of my shoes at DS's daycare and whenever I visit someones house.

We have a spot by all the doors to leave shoes. I prefer that visitors take them off too, but my mom and ILs don't like to - even when I tell them about all the nasty stuff that they are bringing into the house :. My saving grace is that DS knows that shoes must come off, and when visitors don't take their shoes off, DS takes them off for them .
#41 of 80 Old 12-11-2008, 10:50 AM

I voted yes because we do not have any kind of shoe rule. However, my kids kick theirs off as soon as they are inside. I usually wear my inside sandals because they are more comfortable and dh walks around barefoot. Growing up we did not have any kind of shoe rule. I remember my one friends mom was a fanatic about taking your shoes off and we all thought she was a nutcase. It was just not the norm where I grew up.

I never ask guests to remove their shoes because I hate being asked to remove mine. Sometimes, I have holes in my socks or I am not wearing socks because I was not planning on staying, or they have hardwood floors and no slippers in sight.

I know which of my kids friends have the no shoes rule because they kick their shoes off as soon as they walk in the door.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#42 of 80 Old 12-11-2008, 10:53 AM

DH and I are both Asian American. We were brought up not to wear shoes inside the house and we have continued to carry on this tradition. We are also both in healthcare and as far as I am concerned, hospitals are the dirtiest places on the face of the planet. I do not want to drag in all the germs from the hospital into my home. We are pretty strict about ppl who come over taking their shoes off too. Some exceptions are service ppl who carry/work with heavy equipment, we have shoe covers for them. I've only had one guy who totally refused to take off his shoes, and then he was dumb enough to make a comment about how our HW floors looked like a yacht. Duh, there is a reason why our HW floors look nice... we don't wear shoes in the house! Whenever we have to get any work done by that company, we make sure they don't send that irritating guy. His co-workers have been very pleasant about shoe covers, etc..
#43 of 80 Old 12-11-2008, 11:03 AM

I have not read the rest of the thread, so maybe this has been said - but in prior internet discussions on this, it has become apparent that there's marked regional differences in expectations about this - from some places, people are shocked at the notion that your host would ask you to remove your shoes - from others, people are shocked that anyone would consider coming to the door and NOT removing shoes.
I'm in Ontario, Canada. Typically, we remove our shoes in houses here - usually even workers coming into the house will do so (eg electrician, plumber...). My only objection is that on a hot summer day, sometimes the sweaty bottoms of my feet are a worse thing to track across someone's carpet than my dusty sandals!

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#44 of 80 Old 12-11-2008, 11:16 AM

We generally don't wear shoes all the time at home. That wouldn't be comfortable.
I do wear my shoes in the kitchen or basement sometimes. I don't have slippers although it is on my Christmas wish list.

We don't require visitors to remove shoes. If they want to they can. If they don't that is fine.

I guess our rule is be comfortable. We aren't concerned about dirt as much.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#45 of 80 Old 12-11-2008, 11:20 AM

I don't tolerate shoes in the house. I grew up in a shoeless house and spent some time in Japan, so "no shoes indoors" is a big deal. It was actually a condition of my relationship w/ dh, and somehow he remembers agreeing to it! Now if only he would remember about the shoes when he comes in.

DandeCobb, your sig is funny.

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
#46 of 80 Old 12-11-2008, 11:38 AM

I never wear shoes inside, and neither do DH and the kids. It saves on housecleaning. I don't make guests take their shoes off, but most of our friends who come here often take them off anyway. My parents and in-laws don't. It doesn't bug me, though-- it's just what they're used to. I don't feel strongly about it either way. I just like having to sweep less often.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#47 of 80 Old 12-11-2008, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limabean1975 View Post
...it has become apparent that there's marked regional differences in expectations about this - from some places, people are shocked at the notion that your host would ask you to remove your shoes - from others, people are shocked that anyone would consider coming to the door and NOT removing shoes.
I'm very interested in the regional differences. It totally makes sense to me that if you come from a snowy or muddy place you wouldn't want to track that into your or someone else's house. I'm from the South (NC) and where I grew up unless you were working on a farm and took your work boots off on the porch shoes were expected to be on your feet. It was considered rude to take them off in a friend's house. However, if we did get one of our rare snowfalls, snow boots were to be left at the door after you came in or put in front of the fireplace to dry off. I don't know the origins of shoes in the house being proper, but I wonder if it might have something to do with coming out of poverty. If you were rich enough to have shoes you better believe you wore them? Or maybe it just stems from the proper attire of the day (think of the Victorians) and white gloves and hats for ladies and spats for your feet.

I know quite a few no shoes homes today, but they're all my hippie crunchy friends. No mainstream relatives of mine would make that rule, though I don't think they'd care if I took mine off either.

The other thing that I've wondered about with the no-shoes rule is I get that it's supposed to cut down on dirt and grime, but what if you have an indoor-outdoor dog (like we do)? He tracks in more mud and leaves, etc, than anyone of us. He's got long fur and is a bit of a lowrider and we have a very wooded lot.

All that said, about 60% of the time I prefer my slippers or barefeet. If it's really chilly here (I know, I'm in the South, but I get cold easily and we have tile floors in the kitchen) I prefer my fake Uggs to my slippers. They keep my feet warmer. My kids usually take theirs off right away. My dh occasionally takes his off (maybe 30% for him). Dog never puts any on to begin with!

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#48 of 80 Old 12-11-2008, 02:14 PM

Entry removed by poster
#49 of 80 Old 12-11-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post
Dog never puts any on to begin with!
Now that's very strange! Around here, all the dogs wear proper shoes! I'm so kidding. Lame humour. Couldn't help it. Sorry.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#50 of 80 Old 12-11-2008, 03:30 PM

I'm not going to kick someone out for not taking off their shoes, but I just think its absolutely disgusting to wear shoes in the house. I just kind of present it as the default and most people do the proper thing and remove their shoes.

Actually, we will have a crawling baby in not too long. At that point I probably will have to insist. Maybe I'll get some of those blue booties that realtors have for showing model homes.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#51 of 80 Old 12-11-2008, 08:48 PM

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#52 of 80 Old 12-12-2008, 12:07 AM

We're Indian and it's our culture to always remove shoes before entering a house.
#53 of 80 Old 12-12-2008, 12:34 AM
Banned

We don't wear shoes in our home. I would feel absolutely uncomfortable doing it -- we don't expect people to take off their shoes but we leave some hints in the way of us never ever wearing shoes, the shoes by the door, etc. I want to get slippers for people but I would never *insist* someone take off their shoes. Even when I had a crawling baby, if I don't think my unvaxxed kid can take a little dirt, what the heck did I do all that immune system research for, and why the heck didn't I vax?

Most people remove their shoes -- my mom and father in law don't but I think it is because they are unsteady on their feet and feel better in shoes (they are older) and not because they are jerks who want to track dirt in our home

For us though, wearing shoes in here would feel foreign and weird and stiff and just... odd... like wearing a huge parka in the house would or something.
#54 of 80 Old 12-12-2008, 01:41 AM

no way. My parents were influenced by Japanese culture, and my mom is an obsessive clean-freak. I find it disgusting to wear those dirty shoes in my house, but I have a really hard (REALLY hard) time asking other people to take their shoes off. I need to figure something out soon, though, because my kids are starting to have friends over more now, and I really don't like it. I am bare-footed in my house, mostly (or socks), and I really dislike having dirty feet & socks because of *other* people.

Besides that, I also insist that outside shoes be kept out of the bedroom and personal closets. There are untold numbers of contaminants and allergens on your shoes, and that's very unhealthy in your bedroom.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#55 of 80 Old 12-12-2008, 01:43 AM

I'm in Canada. We all take our shoes off at the door. Maybe because half of the year it is mucky snow outside!
#56 of 80 Old 12-12-2008, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post
The other thing that I've wondered about with the no-shoes rule is I get that it's supposed to cut down on dirt and grime, but what if you have an indoor-outdoor dog (like we do)? He tracks in more mud and leaves, etc, than anyone of us. He's got long fur and is a bit of a lowrider and we have a very wooded lot.
backing up for a moment, I will share my parents' behavior. They wipe the dogs' feet whenever they come inside from a long walk, a snowy or wet walk, or something like that. They have a carpeted mudroom (strange sounding), which also serves as a space for the dogs feet to get a little cleaner.

I understand your point, though - I actually have issues with my cat coming out of the litter box and tracking through the house! So, we have one of those cat mats outside the box.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#57 of 80 Old 12-12-2008, 10:35 AM

we don't wear shoes in the house. a few years ago i bought slippers and everything and made it a big deal.

my in-laws and grandparents never understood and would not wear my slippers.

all my friends do take off their shoes. all the children do.

but i gave up on my in-laws and basically anyone over 55 because they don't get it.

and they might need shoes to feel steady on their feet.
#58 of 80 Old 12-12-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2peyton View Post
We have a spot for our shoes just inside the front door. We usually take them off as soon as we step inside before we step onto the carpet. My DH and I as well as our two close friends are pretty consistent about this, but I won't freak out if somebody does wear their shoes inside.
Same here. I prefer to be in my own socks or barefoot though. I would probably decline wearing somebody else's slippers...
#59 of 80 Old 12-12-2008, 07:01 PM

We were shoes inside, but I'm not bothered at all to remove shoes in someone else's house.

Robin, strong and happy single mama to Anna (7/06)
"Au milieu de l'hiver, j'ai découvert en moi un invincible été."
#60 of 80 Old 12-12-2008, 08:08 PM

I prefer not to wear my outside shoes inside the house. I grew up with having slippers for inside the house and shoes are for outside the house. Whenever we had small guests/family come over, we had guest slippers. But for bigger parties, we did not ask people to take their shoes off.

I have to have some kind of "shoe" on my feet... I don't feel comfortable walking around in socks/bare feet, even if the floor was freshly cleaned.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page