Do you wear your outside shoes...inside? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you wear your public shoes...inside?
Yes 26 12.38%
No 144 68.57%
Sometimes 40 19.05%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 80 Old 12-12-2008, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We take ours off, but we do not ask guests to take off their shoes.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#62 of 80 Old 12-12-2008, 08:32 PM

I've always gone barefoot in the house because it was just more comfortable. However, I have MS, and it's recently done a number on my feet, so now I'm relegated to Crocs and Crocs only (haven't even found an off-brand that I can stand wearing). I haven't been able to afford more than one pair for work (I work a couple of days a week and need dressier looking shoes - we found some Crocs that fit the bill) and one pair for everywhere else. I can no longer walk barefoot anywhere, so the everywhere else pair gets worn inside the house, too.

The little one goes barefoot inside.

Dh generally wears his socks inside, but not his shoes.

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#63 of 80 Old 12-13-2008, 08:19 AM

i never wear shoes inside, and it makes me crazy when other people do.

PICS OF YOUR "SHOE PLACE"?
#64 of 80 Old 12-13-2008, 01:45 PM

Oh, and about the dog issue and us being a shoe-free home. When we used to walk our dog outside, she would get her feet (and butt) wiped down every time she came back in. However, at one point we lived at a place, where the landlord could not figure out how to plant grass, so it was muddy, everytime we took her out, we practically had to give her a bath. I ended up litter box training her (she's a 10 lb min pin and was NOT a pup when I trained her). So, now she's like a house dog (which is fine, b/c she picks fights with other dogs when she goes out anyway and she hates going out if it is raining, snowing or cold). We use the exquisicat pine litter from Petsmart, her litter box is in the bathroom, so we can scoop used litter or poop directly into the toilet.
#65 of 80 Old 12-14-2008, 03:37 AM

We walk through grass to get to our door, so for that reason above others, we take them off. If I forget something and need to run in to get them, then no, I don't usually take them all the way off for that. I have Crocs that I wear inside, because those can be rinsed off, so if I wear them outside it is no big deal to clean them for indoors. I am not one to tell people to take off their shoes in my home, though. But we have guests maybe once every three months.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#66 of 80 Old 12-15-2008, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

::::::::::

Seeing that almost 70% of you don't wear your shoes inside really makes me feel Now I can finally show this poll to my family and hopefully they'll start to realize that my family isn't weird!! A lot of other people do it too, in fact if I remember reading some of the posts correctly, some people said it's downright rude to wear shoes in a house in some countries. I think it was the places in Asia, and the Nordic countries. So YEAH!!!!!! Everyone for posting !!!!

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

#67 of 80 Old 12-15-2008, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
No. Nobody wears shoes indoors here.
Same part of the world and I totally agree. I would be shocked if someone came in my house with shoes and got offended if I asked them to take them off... it just simply isn't done here as a rule (not that individual families might decide it's ok in their house, but it wouldn't be assumed to be OK at anyone elses house because the default is no shoes).

Shoes come off at the church nursery and our dentists office (they have slippers or you can bring your own) as well... just as two non-home examples.

I am looking outside and I cannot imagine allowing anyone to track the grey yuck (aka snow and rain mixed with mud) into my home where kids play on my floor. Blech!

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#68 of 80 Old 12-15-2008, 03:24 AM

We all do to some extent with the kids almost always in outside shoes inside. Ds even sleeps in them, 4yo not worth the fight to get them off.

I personally do not take my shoes off when I visit anyone's house it makes me very uncomfortable naked almost to be barefoot or in socks when not at home. I will leave mine on even if everyone else has theirs off. Only been in that position once thank goodness.

Actually it was considered rude to take shoes off when visiting when I was little. Stinking someones house up with stinky foot funk : even if you wash daily most shoes do stink to a certain extent.

I am all for people having house rules and fine if you dont wear shoes in the house but I dont think it is nice to make someone feel forced to do something they are not comfy with.

Though how many people are uncomfy with their feet like I am probably isnt many.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#69 of 80 Old 12-15-2008, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
I personally do not take my shoes when I visit anyone's house it makes me very uncomfortable naked almost to be barefoot or in socks when not at home. I will leave mine on even if everyone else has theirs off. Only been in that position once thank goodness.

Actually it was considered rude to take shoes off when visiting when I was little. Stinking someones house up with stinky foot funk : even if you wash daily most shoes do stink to a certain extent.

I am all for people having house rules and fine if you dont wear shoes in the house but I dont think it is nice to make someone feel forced to do something they are not comfy with.

Though how many people are uncomfy with their feet like I am probably isnt many.
Oh, I totally agree with being barefoot. I mean what if a friend or something had a foot fungus : but generally people, at least in my house, are wearing socks. We also have comfy slippers for them to wear at the door. I spray them with Lysol if someone does happen to wear them being barefoot. We even have shoe covers for workers that would need to come in like plumbers or someone.

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

#70 of 80 Old 12-15-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovbeingamommy View Post
:

Oh, I totally agree with being barefoot. I mean what if a friend or something had a foot fungus : but generally people, at least in my house, are wearing socks. We also have comfy slippers for them to wear at the door. I spray them with Lysol if someone does happen to wear them being barefoot. We even have shoe covers for workers that would need to come in like plumbers or someone.
It's really fascinating to see the cultural differences... Foot fungus is not something that worries me in the slightest. I have never heard of someone getting it from a guest in their home walking barefoot (and in the summer that is what is done all the time here when people are wearing sandals).

On the other hand : is exactly how I feel at the thought of someone in my house with their outdoor shoes on... and yet, it must not be *that* bad because so many of you allow it. (Though I still maintain it really couldn't feasibly happen here in the winter time )

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#71 of 80 Old 12-15-2008, 11:40 AM

We wear shoes inside. We do walk around a lot in socks, but that's just a comfort issue.

It's a sensory thing for me, I need to put on shoes a lot inside, plus there is no comfortable area to sit down and put on shoes at the door -- we live in a split level, you walk in to a 3'x6' ish landing and there are stairs up and down.

babyf.gif

#72 of 80 Old 12-15-2008, 07:26 PM

We never wear our shoes inside. Our driveway tends to be muddy and gross. Also, dd eats everything off the floor-yuck!

: Mama to ds (5) and dd (3) and .
#73 of 80 Old 12-15-2008, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by triscuitsmom View Post
It's really fascinating to see the cultural differences... Foot fungus is not something that worries me in the slightest. I have never heard of someone getting it from a guest in their home walking barefoot (and in the summer that is what is done all the time here when people are wearing sandals).
I'm in AZ where it gets well over 100 degrees most of the summer and people who wear closed shoes and socks have a tendency to have athlete's foot since their feet don't breathe. It's really easy to catch, I've heard especially if you eat a lot of acidic food. Usually if they were socks it's not a problem only with the the barefeet.

waitin' for my baby

#74 of 80 Old 12-15-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovbeingamommy View Post
I'm in AZ where it gets well over 100 degrees most of the summer and people who wear closed shoes and socks have a tendency to have athlete's foot since their feet don't breathe. It's really easy to catch, I've heard especially if you eat a lot of acidic food. Usually if they were socks it's not a problem only with the the barefeet.
*nods* But if they are in socks and shoes wouldn't they be leaving the socks on if they took the shoes off? (That's what I do and what I've observed here) If that's the case what's on their bare feet stays there, and if they are in bare feet their feet are more easily breathing and less likely to get athletes foot.

It gets humid and hot here in the summer... lots of days over 100F with the humidex. Still, I've never heard of someone catching it from a guest in their home... not saying it couldn't happen, just that despite everyone taking their shoes off inside here I've never heard of it.

Alison
#75 of 80 Old 12-16-2008, 11:30 AM

We generally don't wear shoes inside but we aren't super strict about it. If I forgot something inside I will leave my shoes on when I run it to get it. If our guests don't take their shoes off we don't say anything, however most people I know do not wear shoes inside. The only exception to that seems to be when someone hosts a summer party and guests are going from inside to out. Then everyone seems to keep them on.

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
#76 of 80 Old 12-16-2008, 09:31 PM

I wear my outside shoes inside. I insist on wearing shoes, especially after dropping something heavy on my foot (thank goodness it just bruised, not broke) or the fact I keep stubbing my poor toes. I tried having "inside only shoes", but found it was too much a hassle to change them every time I had to run out, whether to take the trash to the dumpster or whatever. And once I get my boots on, they are not coming off until I'm done at work. My husband is the same way. The kids pretty much take off their shoes when they come in, but are not required to.

Question for "no outside shoes" families--if you forget something and have to run back into the house, do you remove the shoes or just go in and grab what you need?
#77 of 80 Old 12-17-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lilsweetfoxes View Post
Question for "no outside shoes" families--if you forget something and have to run back into the house, do you remove the shoes or just go in and grab what you need?
Depends on the time of year and what the flooring is... in our current house we have tile right inside the door so I'd run in the kitchen if I needed to with shoes. I would not go upstairs though because the stairs and upstairs are carpeted. In our apartment it was carpet all over so shoes came off at the door.

In the winter I won't even go into the kitchen or dining room. Shoes come off, it isn't worth the grossness.

Alison
#78 of 80 Old 12-17-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:

It depends on the weather and the location of the item.
If my shoes are dry, I'll run into the kitchen or any area with hardwood while still wearing my shoes.
I absolutely do not go into the carpeted areas of the house with shoes on.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#79 of 80 Old 12-17-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
The shoes come off.
#80 of 80 Old 12-17-2008, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
These threads always get messy so I didn’t read the responses but I think it’s cultural.

I am from up north and it’s considered very rude to wear your shoes in someone’s home. I am now living down south and I ask people to remove their shoes when they come over.

I am finding that down south, it is considered rude to take your shoes off so I always ask before taking them off if I am visiting someone.

When people visit us. I say something like “please take your shoes off since DS plays on the floor and we try to keep it as clean as possible”. I have never once had an issue with it. Only one person ignored my request and I have yet to invite her back to my house.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page