Do you wear your outside shoes...inside? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you wear your public shoes...inside?
Yes 26 12.38%
No 144 68.57%
Sometimes 40 19.05%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My family has decided together that we will not wear our public shoes in the house. Even friends take off their shoes when they come over. We have super comfy slippers by the doors for everyone. We've been doing it for about two years now and it has substantially cut down on dust and dander and has decreased allergies for DH and DS. What do you do?

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

#2 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 01:48 AM

We have a spot for our shoes just inside the front door. We usually take them off as soon as we step inside before we step onto the carpet. My DH and I as well as our two close friends are pretty consistent about this, but I won't freak out if somebody does wear their shoes inside.
#3 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 02:10 AM

I usually take my shoes off when we come and so does DD. I got a really warm and comfy pair so lately I have just been keeping them on without even noticing. In our house we tend to leave from the front door and come in through the garage so we still walk through the kitchen with our shoes on. I'll also put them on to go in the basement. DH is a lost cause, he wears shoes most days from when he wakes up until when he goes to bed. He is not a slipper guy. He frequently comes home from work, changes out of his work shoes, changes his socks and puts on his sneakers or boots even though he has no plans to leave the house until the next day.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#4 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 02:14 AM

Family almost always does, but I don't ask guests to do so. And once in a while, I'll tell DD not to take off her boots and I leave mine on too if we're only going to be home for 5 minutes and I don't want to go through the re-booting dance. (Came home to change DS' dipe in the middle of errands. I just told DD not to take off her coat or boots because we were going right back out.)

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#5 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 02:17 AM

I voted sometimes. No one in my family actually likes to wear shoes inside. The kids kick them off as soon as they come thru the door, DH after he's been home for a bit and ready to relax. I wear slippers or flip flops all the time and if not then at least socks because my floor is ceramic tile that gets super cold! I don't know why it doesn't bother anyone else, the kids hate socks almost as much as they dislike shoes.

I like my house to be clean, our carpeting is white berber and so obviously wearing outside shoes will increase the dirt factor (especially where I live) but I don't have a hardcore no shoes allowed rule, or anything

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#6 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 03:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We take ours off. The only time I wear mine inside is if I'm carrying a sleeping kiddo in from the car and I have non-slip on shoes on. Then the shoes stay on until I get the child in bed, and I take them off.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#7 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 03:32 AM
2xy

I grew up in a culture where shoes were removed before entering the house, and I totally wear my shoes indoors. I mean, once I want to get comfy, I take them off and put on slippers. But I don't go out of my way to remove them at the door.

I have hardwoods, which are cold and, um....hard. I like some cushion and warmth on my feet.
#8 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 03:55 AM

We take them off. We do so because of dirt and mud that I DON'T want in our house. lol. I always swore that I would NEVER insist that my kids leave there shoes outside, but that was before I had 4 kids! The ammount of dirt and mud they can haul inside is just discusting. Don't even get me started on SAND.

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

#9 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 04:49 AM

We take ours off. It's just too wet, snowy, slushy, muddy around here to wear shoes in from outside.
#10 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 04:57 AM
Banned

In my home country (Sweden) it is considered utterly rude - it brings in the dirt, is unhygienic and causes extra work to the hostess! And most people have wooden floors (carpet was faced out in the sixties - unhygienic).

Here in NZ however, most people walk in with their shoes. And most people have carpet.

In our house we have wooden flooring and we take our shoes off, but most people who come over don't. I hate it. They see all our shoes by the door, and us wearing socks and they keep their shoes on? I don't like it, especially now, as I have a baby crawling around on the floor.

That said, several of my mama friends, who are a bit "alternative" as well (EC, homebirth, extended breastfeeding, cloth diapers, no/selective vax etc), don't wear shoes at home either.
#11 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 06:05 AM

I voted sometimes because I don't always take them off immediately when I come in from outside. Otherwise, I am usually in socks or barefoot if it's warm and so is dd, who is at the cruising/beginning to walk stage. DH usually has his shoes on. He does have slippers but they're mostly for nighttime and mornings.

Where we live (Italy) it is unusual to walk around inside barefoot or in stocking feet. The floors tend to be ceramic tile and cold and many people here think you will get sick if you walk on them with bare feet or in socks. My dh is kind of in this camp.

I would love it if people would take their shoes off when they come in, as the streets here are very dirty (few people curb their dogs and there's a lot of littering) and I don't like the idea that dd is playing on floors where that stuff could be tracked in, but I know that asking people to take their shoes off would be considered rude, and it would be unthinkable for most people. I wouldn't even be able to get dh to do it.

We have one carpet, in our living room, for dd to play on and I'm thinking of rolling it up and putting it away for her birthday party in a couple of weeks! Generally I am not a clean freak or germaphobe but the shoes in the house bug me. I'd actually been thinking about it a lot in the last few months as dd has become increasingly mobile, so when I saw this thread, I just had to post!
#12 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 06:58 AM

Sometimes.

99% of the time we take them off at the door (all the time in the winter as they are noticably muddy and dirty then!)

However - that 1% of the time that we dont, usuaully is when I forgot something and just run back inside real quick to get it ...or something like that where I do not take my shoes off.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#13 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 08:07 AM

I grew up in Finland and we never ever wear shoes indoors. We remove our shoes at the door and walk around in our socks, always.
#14 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 09:00 AM

It's considered rude here to to wear your shoes inside. So I don't. (although I have started wearing Crocs all the time instead of trashing another pair of slippers)

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#15 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 11:38 AM

We are a shoes in the house family, mostly due to DH and his upbringing. (raised by a widower grandfather so ideas on house management are a bit interesting.)

I would like to go to a no outside shoe rule but I don't know quite how to approach it.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#16 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 11:42 AM

We're Muslim, so we don't wear our shoes inside the home. Even when I go to Non-Muslim family members home I alwalys take off my shoes, just out of habit.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#17 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 11:46 AM

i don't and DD doesn't. getting DH on board has been difficult, and he is sporatic re: downstairs. upstairs, where we sleep, i am strict about no shoes at all.

#18 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 12:04 PM

I don't wear shoes inside, but just because I always take off shoes Dh sometimes wears shoes inside. Never takes them off at the door...

-Angela
#19 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 12:12 PM

No. Nobody wears shoes indoors here.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#20 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 12:22 PM

We used to wear shoes inside (my parents do , as do dh's), but when we found out that our last house had exterior lead paint we stopped immediately. Our new house is lead paint free and we have carried over the habit- our dd is 3 and her toys and her body are all over the floor constantly (and I'm bad about vacuuming as often as I should!) We have a mudroom that is entered through the garage, so all of our shoes, coats, etc. live there-- it's totally by favorite thing about the house! I'm moderately freaky about other people taking off their shoes here-- I try not to spazz in my head, but if someone leaves them on inside I will often make a point of vacuuming once they leave. Our parents all know our history and will oblige us when they come to stay, even though they all make a point of acting like I'm being a little crazy.
#21 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have a spot for shoes by our front door. I ask children to take their shoes off when they come over, but I'm not comfortable asking adults for some reason.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#22 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 12:29 PM

NO!!!!! :
We have a shelf right inside the front door for everyone to take their shoes off - guests included. I do request that everyone who enters removes their shoes.

I find shoes in the house really gross. Particularly with babies/kids who are always playing on the floors. Nasty.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#23 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 12:36 PM

We take them off every time we come in. Most people take off their shoes inside around here. We have a mat for them by the front door. We aren't 100% shoe-free inside though, because if something gets forgotten last minute and shoes are already on, then I don't usually take them off again to run back.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#24 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 01:01 PM

This was a habit I got into when I was an aupair. The mother in our family was German and it is very common there to take off your shoes at the door and for the family to have slippers for guests. We do not wear outside shoes in our house and we ask guests to take their shoes off as well. I also automatically do this when at other's homes.

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#25 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 01:42 PM

We usually take our shoes off. It isn't a rule. I don't make guests take their shoes off.

Live and love with your whole being.
#26 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 01:47 PM

We almost always take our shoes off in the house. My husband and I both have slippers that we wear inside but sometimes wear outside (like to get the mail or change the laundry over in the basement). My son has frog rain boots that he likes to wear inside.

It isn't a strictly enforced rule in our house but if my husband keeps his shoes on I will ask him to take them off. We had guests the other day and they kept their shoes on for a couple hours and then noticed we weren't wearing shoes and took them off. I didn't ask them to.

Maybe a pile of slippers to wear would help when we have guests. My husband's aunt and uncle have a no shoes policy and a big basket of slippers to wear instead.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#27 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 02:29 PM

I grew up in New York and it wasn't unusual for us to wear shoes in the house, though I hated wearing shoes in the house and would take them off almost as soon as I got home. My husband grew up in Northern Ontario and it's a "no shoes in the house" culture-we've each left a pair of slippers at his Mom and Dad's house, and when we go visiting other people in his hometown, we take our slippers with us.

We live in Florida now and we're a "no shoes in the house" family. On rare occasions when I've got to run into the house and must get to the bathroom now or I'll pee on myself, I'll wear shoes to the bathroom and then remove them, or if I'm bringing things in from the car and need to make multiple trips, though more often in that case, I'll make multiple trips from the car to the front door, and then go in, remove my shoes and make trips between the door and wherever the packages need to go.
#28 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 03:45 PM

Sign on my front door asks EVERYONE to please remove their shoes. I won't ask you if you miss the sign. I have babies who play on the floor, eat off of the floor etc. and I don't really want them playing in the oil/gas/barf/pee/poop/allergen/lawn chemicals/whatever happens to be on the bottom of your shoes. For me it isn't about the seen stains (mud etc) but the unknown ickys that are on your four year old shoes.

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#29 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 04:20 PM

NO way! I live on farm so I step in all kinda crap....literally! Plus I am a HUGE clean freak and yes anyone visiting takes off their shoes in our mud room. We have wooden floors and it shows like crazy if anyone walks across it with their shoes on....major pet peeve of mine.
#30 of 80 Old 12-10-2008, 04:35 PM

Moving to Mindful Home Management

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page