What to stuff draft dodgers with for bathroom? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-11-2008, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I am on a draft-proofing mission for our 1882 Victorian very drafty house. The heating bill is beyond outrageuous and I am just so cold!!! Have done weather-stripping around the doors and those brush strips at the base of the doors. Now I'm looking at the windows. I'm going to hang some fleece or wool curtains/linings where what I have up isn't warm enough. And I am making some draft stoppers to put on the bottom of the window frames and in the middle of the double-hung sash windows.

So I thought I'd fill the draft snakes with rice or pine kitty litter? But I want to put some on our bathroom windows which get really wet from condensation when we shower. So what should I fill those with that could cope well with getting wet and still dry out easily?? Thanks and any other warming suggestions welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 12-11-2008, 05:33 PM

beans (any kind) or rice....really anything like that would work. i'd use beans if i were you....the cheapest kind you can find .

good luck, bundle up and let me know how it works out for you. or include pics!

from a former montana winter weathered gal! :

: blogging about life, beauty, crafting, healing, waldorf...

#3 of 8 Old 12-11-2008, 10:58 PM

my friend uses lavender...very nice!

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

#4 of 8 Old 12-12-2008, 11:29 AM

well if you get anything sent to you that has packing peanuts in it, you can use that , do half and half with dried beans. foam tubes. If you use rice and beans if you can put those into bags before you use that it can possibly keep away mice and pets. plus it will help it not get wet and possibly go moldy.
#5 of 8 Old 12-12-2008, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
#6 of 8 Old 12-15-2008, 12:32 AM

Because of the water issue, I'd probably go half and half with something heavy that won't take water like marbles (check the flower dept of a craft store), and something light that will absorb water and dry easily, like cotton scraps. That way it can even be tossed in the washing machine every couple weeks so it doesn't get too gross.

I wouldn't use any food products.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#7 of 8 Old 12-17-2008, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the ideas and keep them coming.

So far, I've made about 10 draft snakes in various sizes for my windows and they do seem to be helping. I've also made 2 fleece curtains that were super easy, as the fleece doesn't ravel so it didn't need to be hemmed, only needed a rod pocket to go over a tension rod. I used white to still allow some light through if I didn't want to open them completely. Unfortunately, white fleece is in high demand for Xmas so every shop near here is out of stock. Will have to wait until next week at the earliest to get more.

Am going to give some thought to that link about aluminum foil heat catchers - has anyone tried them?

I'm still not sure for the bathroom - maybe an outside sack with velcro closure, with an inside sack or two. The inside sack(s) could have something heavy like marbles. Then I could stuff cloth scraps around the inside sack(s). Then the cloth scraps plus the outside sack would be easily washable once I took the marble sack out. Because the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking it would have to be washable or it would get gross.

I'm in one of the rooms I haven't done yet, and brrrrr, oh I just want to be warm!!!
#8 of 8 Old 12-17-2008, 03:10 AM

What about paraffin or wax pellets? The kind candlemakers use? They wouldn't get moldy or mildewy, but I'm not sure how washable they would be.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page