In search of a REALLY GOOD water filter . . . - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-12-2008, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
. . . for $350 or less. Any suggestions?

The ILs have said that they'd like to buy us a household gift with a $350 price limit. We really need a drinking water filter since I'm sure our water has lead in it and it tastes terrible.

I really want to get something high-quality that will last, and I'm having the hardest time finding something with good reviews. I think the counter-top or faucet kind would probably be the best bet since we're just renting and can't install anything permanent.

Thanks!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2008, 03:06 AM

We got the triple undersink filter (#3 listed on the website) from www.pwgazette.com and have used it for 2.5 years and love it. It has three compartments and they sell different filters so you can pick the ones you most need in your area. We got a general charcoal one (?), one to take out the flouride (sp?) and one made of porcelin. I don't remember what it does but it sounded good at the time.

I don't know about getting the lead out, but I'm sure the people at the site would. I called with questions when I first ordered and have called once more about replacement filters and whoever I talked to was friendly, seemed to know what he was talking about.

The site says you need to replace every 6 mos. to a year or so, but we used our first set of filters 18 mos. with no problem and are on our way to doing the same w/the second.

The initial cost was around $200 and the one time we got replacements was about $110.

We rent too, and so as not to drill a hole in the sink, DH attached a miniature wood shelf to the inside of the under-sink cabinet door. The output spigot is attached to that shelf. We open the cabinet door to fill our drinking juts and it works great.

We tried the pitcher with built in filter for over a year before getting this one and the cost of filters was way high, plus it didn't take our flouride.

Edited to add: that site has counter-top ones, too fyi.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:59 PM

We've been really happy with our Amway water treatment system - I've had it for 10 years at least. Don't know the cost, though. I haven't researched it lately, but in the past, it was one of the highest filtration systems available. Maybe someone else knows more about it now? (I'd look into it, but I need to get off my computer now)

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
Old 12-22-2008, 11:23 AM

Berkey, hands down. We LOVE ours.

http://www.berkeywater.com/start.main.html

Stainless steel, looks nice. Filters are pricey, but can clean them when they start to slow down.
Gravity system, so just add water to the top.
We even took ours camping a few times so we could get water from the river our camp site was next two.
Was created for 3rd world missionaries back in the 1800's.
We use both black filters up top and the white filters below.
Gets everything out!
Old 12-27-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergirlie View Post

Stainless steel, looks nice. Filters are pricey, but can clean them when they start to slow down.
We even took ours camping a few times so we could get water from the river our camp site was next two.
Gets everything out!
good to hear that about the berkley. i've been tossing it around for a while as to if it would work for us or not. thanks for sharing.

: blogging about life, beauty, crafting, healing, waldorf...

Old 12-27-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergirlie View Post

Gets everything out!
alright....so i had my dad (phd in chemistry) look at it and he said "that's all you'd need." he was a bit impressed with all of it's abilities especially with pathogens.

denvergirl....when you say that you can clean the filters when the start to slow down, what do you mean?

i just ordered one for our family!!!

: blogging about life, beauty, crafting, healing, waldorf...

Old 12-27-2008, 11:54 PM

I've been using a Watermaker Mini reverse osmosis filter for a year now. I love it. The water tastes great. The filter goes right on the faucet. And the filter cartridge only needs to be replaced once a year. I also added the optional carbon filter to it for better tasting water. I really have no complaints about this filter. I love it.

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::
Old 02-18-2009, 02:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Berkey is not an undersink unit is it?

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
Old 02-18-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabeehilly View Post
alright....so i had my dad (phd in chemistry) look at it and he said "that's all you'd need." he was a bit impressed with all of it's abilities especially with pathogens.

denvergirl....when you say that you can clean the filters when the start to slow down, what do you mean?

i just ordered one for our family!!!
Sorry, didn't see this had a reply to it and you've most likely already figured it out, but you can scrub the filters. Get a scotch scrubby and go to town on it. All of this information should be in with the instructions with your new set up.
But basically the "pores" in the filter will become clogged, scrub them clean and they are good again. When scrubbing no longer seems to really help with the speed of the water being filtered, then it's time to replace them.

How are you enjoying your purchase now? Can you taste the difference? I can not only taste, but smell the difference too!
Old 02-18-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripMom View Post
Berkey is not an undersink unit is it?
No, it's a freestanding filtering system. You have to physically put water in the top compartment and then it will filter into the lower compartment.

It's gravity based, do not overfill! If the bottom water compartment is full and you add more to the top, it will overflow... Learned that one the hard way!

Look back at the orginal link I provided and navigate in a few pages, but here is another website (reseller) that has pictures you can go directly to, in order to see what it looks like.

http://www.berkeywaterfilter.net/crown_berkey.html

The crown is the largest one on the market (one the far right), we ourselves have the Royal, which is the one in the middle, the only difference is size.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:56 PM

I got a multi-pure water filter on Craig's List for $25 and it needed $30 in parts

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 02-18-2009, 06:00 PM

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-25-2009, 02:47 AM

WHY aren't these water filters available in California and Iowa??????
Old 02-25-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella's Mama View Post
WHY aren't these water filters available in California and Iowa??????
I think just that one site doesn't sell in those states. Try the manufacture's site http://www.berkeywater.com/start.main.html or eBay if you are really interested.

I know people in CA that have a Berkey, but have no idea who they bought from. There are many resellers as well as can purchase directly from manufacturer.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

OP here. I just thought I should update this thread with what we ended up choosing. It was very difficult to research what the options were, but we read an old article in consumer reports and ended up getting the Shaklee BestWater Filter. One of my main concerns was lead (our house was built in 1823, and I have no idea what the pipes are like), and this was one of the only filters we could find that gets virtually all of the lead out.

The installation was easy and the water is SO delicious! It's remarkable. I appreciate that the housing is stainless steel too.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:46 PM

lexbeach - I check out the link to Shaklee and see they have an underwater model. I have been meaning to do this research myself - but it is daunting! I am posting just to see if anyone else has any other thoughts about the best undersink filtration system

http://www.shaklee.net/store/product/82333 == this is the one we are thinking of getting.

WHAT THE HECK IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THESE PRODUCTS ANYWAY?

Thanks!

User Tag List