Compost Bin vs. Compost Tumbler???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-17-2008, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all -

I grew up with a compost PILE. We just tossed everything compostable and that was it. We never had problems with bugs, smell, or animals.

But at our current house we have a very small yard and there seems to be the threat of lots of animals so I'm thinking of containing our compost pile. Also I'm in need for the first time for great soil. We live in Texas which means our yard is made of rocks and VERY dry dirt. And I want to use it for a garden.

A friend has this one -

Sun-Mar 200 Autoflow Composter 7.4 Cubic Ft. Compost Tumbler

http://www.compostbins.com/compost-b...osttumbler.cfm

But the two reviews are not so great...

Wondering if anyone has a compost BIN or compost Tumbler they LOVE!

Many thanks!
#2 of 4 Old 12-21-2008, 09:48 PM

I have just a regular, old compost bin that sits on the ground.

At school, they have a large tumbler. It is nearly impossible to turn. Also, I'm not sure how worms could ever crawl up into it like they do in my bin.

Personally, if I had it to do over again I would stick with a simple ground model.
#3 of 4 Old 12-22-2008, 03:09 PM

My friend bought a tumbler and absolutely hated it. She had a hard time turning it and there was some issue with getting the soil out...I'm not sure. She went back to a plain old pile. My parents have a pile and one of those black bins that goes on the ground. They like both. They've had the pile for 20 or more years and there was never a problem.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#4 of 4 Old 12-22-2008, 11:54 PM

we have a tumbler and a pile. The tumbler gets full really fast, but on the plus side, it also creates compost a lot faster than the pile. We're lazy composters, though - we just really have the pile so that we don't waste food-scraps. We also have pet rabbits, so we dump their boxes in the pile. We never turn it and use the compost once every 3-4 years. Even though we NEVER turn it, the bottom definitely turns into some wonderful nutrition for the soil.

Our tumbler is different from what you showed, and it is very hard to turn when it's more than half full. http://www.composters.com/compost-tu...mbler_25_2.php I still like it, though.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page