What to do with soap scraps? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-02-2009, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'd hate to throw away those little end pieces of soap, but they're really cluttering up my bathroom.

Is there any way to melt them together into one larger bar of soap that will look nice in a soapdish by the bathroom sink (and be easy to handle), without spending any money on "soapmaking supplies"?

Due to kosher concerns, I don't want to heat up soap in a pot that gets used for food.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 01-02-2009, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know about heating them up but I once saw a suggestion to tie them up nicely in a piece of cheesecloth and use them that way.

:
#3 of 11 Old 01-02-2009, 02:23 PM

Can't you just use them as you normally would?

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#4 of 11 Old 01-02-2009, 02:26 PM

I always just attach the small sliver to the next new bar of soap. If you make some scratches on both the old and the new soaps with your finger nail, they should press together. As you use them, they will "become one".
#5 of 11 Old 01-02-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilla626 View Post
I always just attach the small sliver to the next new bar of soap. If you make some scratches on both the old and the new soaps with your finger nail, they should press together. As you use them, they will "become one".
This is what I normally do.

However, you could use a glass bowl and melt the soap in the microwave or on a double boiler and pour into some sort of a mold. (empty 1/2 & 1/2 containers do well, and then peel off the carton and cut the soap block in half.)

I've also put scraps od soap in old body puffs, just cut the piece that holds it all together and you have a long mesh "sock". I cut a long sock and then double knot the top and bottom and use in the shower.

Or you could do a Anne Frank diary throw back, toss all the scraps into a dish of water and wait for it to disolve. You now have liquid soap. (Or in Anne Frank's world she gave as shampoo for a present)
#6 of 11 Old 01-02-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilla626 View Post
I do something similar with my shampoo bars. I wait til I have 2-3 slivers/pieces & put those together. I just put them in the shower before I wash & then at the end of the shower they are soft & warm enough to squish together as kamilla626 suggested.
#7 of 11 Old 01-02-2009, 04:11 PM
rcr

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yea, I just squish them together with the new bar. I do it after using the new bar, and just get them wet and squish them together. Once they dry out they usually become one.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#8 of 11 Old 01-02-2009, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I put them in one of those handy loofa soap "sacks" they sell at wal-mart.

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#9 of 11 Old 01-02-2009, 10:00 PM

I put them in the little mesh bag that garlic comes in and tie it closed. Makes a nice body scrubber to use in the shower.
#10 of 11 Old 01-02-2009, 11:47 PM

I put them in a glass pump bottle filled with water and they become our handsoap.

coolshine.gifSHINE!  Yogini.  My tuna girlgoldfish.gif  Partner to Dteapot2.GIF  Our little flower is herelove.gif/surpriseuc.jpg
#11 of 11 Old 01-03-2009, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kino View Post
I put them in a glass pump bottle filled with water and they become our handsoap.
kino,
I have done this to but I found that the consistency was sometimes "uneven", or worse yet a little slimey. Then I got the idea to use a foaming pump bottle. Also, I use some plastic beads, with a fairly large hole in the middle, to agitate the soap mixture. The consistency is more ... consistent, so to speak and it's never slimey.

I do something similar with an old Dawn concentrated foaming dish detergent pump bottle, without the mixing beads. I save a lot of money on refills by using regular Dawn concentrated dish detergent and watering it down. The water to detergent ratio is pretty high.

~Cath

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page