2009 Food Storage Challenge (March Update) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-09-2009, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't know how I missed this one!

We currently have a year's supply of grains stored (wheat, quinoa, millet, oats, rice, etc)

We have about a six month supply of meats - some home canned chicken and the rest in the freezer.

We have lots of dried beans stored (need to check to see exactly what the quantity is)

We also home canned applesauce, apple pie filling, pickled beets, grape jelly, pears, and pinto beans.

We like to cook up soup and home can it as well so right now we have about 14 pints of ham & bean soup.

We also store staples like yeast, honey, baking powder, fruit juice, etc.

Our ultimate goal is a nutritionally balanced year's supply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2009, 12:42 AM

Well, it was my PM that asked the question.

I don't expect people breaking down my door, guns a-blazing.

I don't think that you have to keep things "secret".

But if you have a 1-year monetary emergency fund... will you post pictures of the cash? Why treat your other emergency funds any differently?

It's just a prudent thing to not PUBLICIZE what you are doing. Tell friends that share the same feelings... in fact, COMMUNITY is the most important "stockpile" that you can acquire.

Here on MDC, a relatively anonymous community, it's not a big deal to talk about it. It's helpful to others. We really don't know each other. I have an IRL good friend here and although we don't talk about stocking up, I would trust and respect her if the subject came up.

But to advertise it on the web to strangers, via blogs??? I can't see the sense in that.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:29 PM

Im in. First need to inventory what I have. Then make a list of what I need to buy.

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

No one would want to come and take my food, since the photos on my blog show a very disorganized pantry, with a major lacking of food! I posted a link on my blog which is of a woman who has a wonderful pantry. I find it imporant for all of us to talk about how to do this, where to do this, and what to do even. I appreciated the photos of the blog I linked. And my photos are just very pitiful, since there is no food in them. LOL

Next Challenge?????

There are some great ways to store food so animals can't get to it. In the class I'm taking, Sharon is recommending that we locate a place where we can get large plastic containers with tight fitting lids, to store some food in (think dry milk packets, rice, sugar, wheat ect). The idea if that these containers need to be food safe. The ice cream stores have tons of these containers. Also check with deli's, since they buy mayonaise and ketchup (ect) in large tubs.

Try to find a source for this type of container. Let us know where you find yours.

Jyotsna

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
Old 01-14-2009, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter

KariM,

Can you tell me how you can your soups? I often make a double batch of soup, and freeze half. I'd like to can half instead, and see how it turns out. Can you give me some links on canning soup, or is it basically just like canning veggies??

Thanks. I'm interested in canning everything I can. LOL

Old 01-14-2009, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

So if you locate some large food safe plastic containers, you can order these Gamma Seal Lids if you choose, to make it easy to put food in, and take food out of your food safe containers.

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/kit..._solution.aspx

Old 01-14-2009, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a question about storing food in a hot climate. What foods are good to store where the temps get over 100 for months at a time? I think my best option for storing large quantities of food is to put them in a storage room that is not air conditioned. It will be hot all summer long, and I don't want to put anything out there that will go bad in the heat (like cooking oil). Any advice?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:44 PM

Bakeries are also a source for the buckets, either a small chain grocey or an independent bakery.

Lemongrass, everything will suffer quality-wise at those temperatures. Everything I've read said it shortens the usable life by about half.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krankedyann View Post
Lemongrass, everything will suffer quality-wise at those temperatures. Everything I've read said it shortens the usable life by about half.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I guess I'm going to have to make the space I have in the house work...just going to have to get more creative.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotsna View Post

Next Challenge?????

There are some great ways to store food so animals can't get to it. In the class I'm taking, Sharon is recommending that we locate a place where we can get large plastic containers with tight fitting lids, to store some food in (think dry milk packets, rice, sugar, wheat ect). The idea if that these containers need to be food safe. The ice cream stores have tons of these containers. Also check with deli's, since they buy mayonaise and ketchup (ect) in large tubs.

Try to find a source for this type of container. Let us know where you find yours.

Jyotsna
I never even thought! We are good friends with a couple that owns an ice cream shop! I bet I can get some containers from them.

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 01-17-2009, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

So did anyone get their containers yet?

Also, I wanted to say to Lemongrass that I don't think it is recommended that you store something where it will be 100 degrees ore more.

I spent some time in India, in a state called Andhra Pradesh, where it was 90 - 100 the whole time I was there. But I believe their temps drop down to the higher 80's at night. And for at least a couple of months, they have slightly cooler temps. Lentils (beans, dal ect) and rice store for a long time, but I think they used such high quanities of these two, that they don't have much of a chance to last. I know in our house, rice and lentils/dals/beans go fast. So if you could use up the items regularly, you would be okay, as long as you were completely replacing your lentils and rice completely every 6 months. But I'd really try to find an indoor spot for your food storage. It is very important. So if you are into building, maybe you could search for "Kerala building styles". In Kerala, India, all of the houses have 4 or more vents at the very top of each wall. They are the sized of a large builders brick or more. Each vent is screened, so mosquitoes can't get in.

You may want to build a room which you can insulate, keep a fan running, and keep it vented like I mentioned, which would be your pantry. Maybe you could keep the temp down to 80 degrees, 60 at night? And while you were at it, you could use reflective insulation, so the building doesn't accept any heat?

Just a thought.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:42 PM

Jyotsna, thanks for that idea. Right now we're just going to make do with the space we have inside the house - I think it would take us a very long time to build up a supply big enough to need another separate room. I wish we had the money to buy that much food!
Old 01-17-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotsna View Post
So did anyone get their containers yet?

Also, I wanted to say to Lemongrass that I don't think it is recommended that you store something where it will be 100 degrees ore more.

I spent some time in India, in a state called Andhra Pradesh, where it was 90 - 100 the whole time I was there. But I believe their temps drop down to the higher 80's at night. And for at least a couple of months, they have slightly cooler temps. Lentils (beans, dal ect) and rice store for a long time, but I think they used such high quanities of these two, that they don't have much of a chance to last. I know in our house, rice and lentils/dals/beans go fast. So if you could use up the items regularly, you would be okay, as long as you were completely replacing your lentils and rice completely every 6 months. But I'd really try to find an indoor spot for your food storage. It is very important. So if you are into building, maybe you could search for "Kerala building styles". In Kerala, India, all of the houses have 4 or more vents at the very top of each wall. They are the sized of a large builders brick or more. Each vent is screened, so mosquitoes can't get in.

You may want to build a room which you can insulate, keep a fan running, and keep it vented like I mentioned, which would be your pantry. Maybe you could keep the temp down to 80 degrees, 60 at night? And while you were at it, you could use reflective insulation, so the building doesn't accept any heat?

Just a thought.
Well, so far I just have one giant Rubbermaid container (seriously, it's big enough to stuff a body into). That is where I am keeping anything that a mouse or bugs could get into--boxes of pasta, bags of rice, beans, flour, sugar. Cans and jars are on a shelf in my basement. My basement is pretty cool, even in the summer it is the coolest place in the house, and now that it is 5 degrees out it feels slightly warmer than a fridge :.

Have any of you considered building a root cellar? I found directions on this website http://theepicenter.com/tow1102.html and it sounds cool but I am concerned with mice and other small critters that might eat right through the plastic tarp.

My water storage is definitely lacking. I think right now I have about 20 gallons which isn't nearly enough for any of us as far as long or short term emergency goes.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:00 PM

We just went over to Lehman's today and bought another 4 jars (had to go to Mt Eaton to get organic chicken feed anyways), which I think brings us up to about 20 4 gallon glass jars On thursday I should be getting another 75# of wheat and 25# of sugar so that'll fill those up I need to go down to the basement at some point and arrange everything though... but its just so darn cold right now! And our basement is very much unheated (its so cold that my olive oil down there solidified!! And took a day to thaw out!!! ). I looked into getting the big plastic containers, but there aren't any available around here, and buying them and the gama lids makes them nearly as expensive as glass jars... and I just prefer the glass!!
Old 01-18-2009, 01:15 AM

I'll join your challenge. I got a canner for Christmas, planning a huge garden this year and we've finally moved into a place where we can grow our own food so yay!! We also have a cold room in the basement so I'm in.

Austin June 2006; Xander March 2008; Shay Nov 2009; 5 babies gone to heaven.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:26 AM

subbing, back later to read.

Memories of my grandma's pantry inspire me. (She was born Mormon, though she left that church to marry a non-Mormon, but definitely believed in storing the year's supply of food.)
Old 01-18-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
Silica packets work to absorb moisture too...just don't eat them!
I just saw this post and wanted to mention... silica is for moisture and oxygen absorbers are specifically for removing the oxygen in sealed food storage. You need to make sure the silica is food grade and that it won't take too much moisture out of your stored foods. For example, you may end up with beans that will simply not cook even after soaking and cooking for many, many hours. Foods need a certain moisture content (10%?) to be reconstituted successfully.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:56 PM

Just emailed my friends who own the ice cream store to see if we could get some large pails from them

Will update when I know.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 01-21-2009, 12:38 AM

I'm joining! I looove food storage. I will get some pics soon. I never have caught back up the week long power outage where we decimated our canned section.

So reading back through the posts, are the rest of you stock piling or storing food? I'm not a stockpile.

And I tell people about my food storage and they are jealous! I'm not worried about people breaking down my door or anything, even if they did, honestly, do most people know what to do with 10 lbs of oatmeal? If you are stockpiling for some kind of natural, societal disaster, IMO most people will rely on the government or their church, etc to meet their needs, but I have been a negative nancy all day.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Old 01-21-2009, 10:03 PM

First question...where do you get the oxygen absorbers?

I am in! I have decided that this is the year to really ramp up our food storage/emergency preparedness. DH almost died the summer before last and was off work 6 mo on disability and my larder stash really helped us a lot! I am a couponer and use our stockpile to keep us to about $50/week for groceries/paper/HBA/pets for a family of 8. My plan is to up that to $100/week. Some of that will get saved up for a side of beef purchase.

DH's uncle just died and we helped clean out his house. I got about 20- 1 gallon glass jars, a bunch of canning jars and a newer water bath canning kettle, and a fruit squisher (not sure of the name, but it is a cone shaped collander with a wood smoosher with it.)

I also have been saving the pete plastic 1 gallon jars that pretzels come in from TSC. I figure those will also help with food storage.

I need to get some 5 gallon buckets and gamma lids
We'd like to get a big berkey for emergencies.
I'd like to get a 2 gallon jug of water (sealed from grocery store) and case of bottled water for each of us to start. Then I need to figure where I want to go with water storage from there. We are on city water, so I may start bottling some of my own in 2L pop bottles.

I pretty much have a grocery store in our basement at all times, but the quantity needed for a year for a family of 8 is pretty overwhelming, but I think that would be a good finished amount to shoot for. We don't do whole grains other than oatmeal, so the flour amount is a lot overwhelming, and I'm not sure how long white flour lasts before going bad. I'm also not sure of the shelf life of Coke and coffee, two staples in our house.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share my unhappy/happy food storage score.

Oh, and although I'm shooting for a year's supply, we're not LDS. I always wonder when someone is stocking for a year, if they are LDS or not, so I thought I'd answer that wonder for others. The LDS have great info on food storage, and are so generous with sharing their info.

Katie, mama to Katherine 21, Christian 19, Johannah 17, Nicholas 12, Genevieve 10, Matthew 7, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with my husband, Scott
Old 01-21-2009, 10:16 PM

I forgot to ask, whoever was taking the food storage class with Sharon Astyk, would you please post the tasks/challenges for us? If the class is the same cost as her other classes, it is not an option for me. But I would love to follow along. I love her stuff! Please don't post anything that would infringe on her copyright or anything, just a brief mention of the task like you did earlier or as much as you feel comfortable with.

Katie, mama to Katherine 21, Christian 19, Johannah 17, Nicholas 12, Genevieve 10, Matthew 7, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with my husband, Scott
Old 01-24-2009, 10:25 PM

Nobody working of food storage?

Old 01-24-2009, 10:37 PM

I can't really start until we move (February 14). I'm just beginning to make a list of foods that I know we use a lot of and will be easy to store.

Would love to hear about the progress others are making, though.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:49 PM

Just waiting for our tax return. Dh has been off for six weeks with no money coming in so have to save this money for bills but when it gets here, grocery planning and shopping we come. I still have to find pails/buckets. Its slow going with a newborn that loves to be up all wee hours of the morning and me having to catch up on sleep during the day. Its hard to do anything. But slowly getting things organized.

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:58 PM

It's going slow, but I'm working on it.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:33 PM

I've been getting my household organized, inventorying what I have, and clearing storage space for food inventory in the process.
Also picking up a couple of extras of staple items at every grocery store trip.

I've figured out some things about food storage in my home

-- my pantry shelves upstairs are wierdly deep, like 2.5 feet deep. It is one of those wierd closets that get built as an afterthought in some houses. This is too big for a kitchen pantry -- food gets lost in there. So I think I'm going to fill up the back foot of the pantry with drinking water storage and MAYBE some bulk food, and put food for current rotation in the front where I can see it

-I can make salsa and pizza sauce, but unless it is my fresh salsa that can only be made with fresh veggies in the summer, my family MUCH prefers the cheapest store brands. : So I'm giving up canning/freezing salsa and pizza sauce and saving some time and energy stocking up on store brands. Going to try making homemade ketchup out of my surplus frozen tomatoes, wish me luck that they like it!

--canned and frozen fruit in all forms including jam is what my family uses up first and most enthusiastically, so I should concentrate on preserving fruit as the most effective and cost effective home food storage project next summer.

--I need to think of canning a couple of jars at a time to preserve garden veggies and leftovers more effectively, instead of the monster canning projects. Right now, I put them in the freezer and that takes up too much room.

-- I want to grow and store more potatoes this coming summer as we are eating more, so I'll be figuring out some options. We don't have a garage, a cool basement, or a good space for a root cellar, so the simplest would be asking for room for some boxes in my sister's triple-car garage. She and her husband have been interested in food storage, so I want to talk to them about combining resources in some areas anyway.

Garage sale list--

--containers for drinking water storage, esp collapsable water carriers for camping.
--canning jars of all kinds, especially larger than a quart for water/dry good storage

I have a question --

any problem reusing plastic 1.25 gallon vinegar jugs for drinking water storage? They fit so nicely on the shelves
Old 01-25-2009, 05:29 PM

This is a wonderful idea. Right now we are having a very rough time and thankfully we had a lot put back. Not as much as past years, but still. We are only having to spend around $80 every 2 weeks for a family of 4 adults and 2 kids that eat (DD is EBF still)

We are lucky enough to live on a farm. My DH and I were planning what to do w/ the tax check and we have decided that chickens are on our list, sheep, and the seeds for our garden this year. I am going to list our plan for everyone to see.

What we have (resources now)

We raise pigs so we always have pork for fresh meat
We have some cows so we have about 2 beef to butcher every year
We are able to hunt and usually have venision, rabbit, and squirel.
We raise butcher rabitts, but need to find a few more to finish out
We have plenty of land to grow on.
We trade out grain from the crops to feed our animals with
We have a few of the very large water holders that are the size of our truck bed
We have well water so a generator will provide us w/ fresh water.
Means to heat house w/ firewood if needed

What we will be getting/doing this year

We are buying a herd of sheep
A milk goat
Chickens- for eggs and to butcher (a lot of them)
I would like a horse to have (last on list)
We are building a large root cellar this spring)
We will be putting out around 3 acres of garden
We are planting on orchard for fruits as well
Our generator was stolen so we will be getting a new one to run our freezers if something was to happen.
We are going to start storing things like sugar, cooking oil, and other essentials that we will not make/grow

We already have an area set up to store canned foods and we currently have 3 freezers to store food in. We have been canning for a while

So what things will everyone be making on their own??

And no we are not LDS either, we are just striving to live off our farm and be self sufficent We also prefer fresh foods.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post
I've been getting my household organized, inventorying what I have, and clearing storage space for food inventory in the process.
Also picking up a couple of extras of staple items at every grocery store trip.

I've figured out some things about food storage in my home

-- my pantry shelves upstairs are wierdly deep, like 2.5 feet deep. It is one of those wierd closets that get built as an afterthought in some houses. This is too big for a kitchen pantry -- food gets lost in there. So I think I'm going to fill up the back foot of the pantry with drinking water storage and MAYBE some bulk food, and put food for current rotation in the front where I can see it

-I can make salsa and pizza sauce, but unless it is my fresh salsa that can only be made with fresh veggies in the summer, my family MUCH prefers the cheapest store brands. : So I'm giving up canning/freezing salsa and pizza sauce and saving some time and energy stocking up on store brands. Going to try making homemade ketchup out of my surplus frozen tomatoes, wish me luck that they like it!

--canned and frozen fruit in all forms including jam is what my family uses up first and most enthusiastically, so I should concentrate on preserving fruit as the most effective and cost effective home food storage project next summer.

--I need to think of canning a couple of jars at a time to preserve garden veggies and leftovers more effectively, instead of the monster canning projects. Right now, I put them in the freezer and that takes up too much room.

-- I want to grow and store more potatoes this coming summer as we are eating more, so I'll be figuring out some options. We don't have a garage, a cool basement, or a good space for a root cellar, so the simplest would be asking for room for some boxes in my sister's triple-car garage. She and her husband have been interested in food storage, so I want to talk to them about combining resources in some areas anyway.

Garage sale list--

--containers for drinking water storage, esp collapsable water carriers for camping.
--canning jars of all kinds, especially larger than a quart for water/dry good storage

I have a question --

any problem reusing plastic 1.25 gallon vinegar jugs for drinking water storage? They fit so nicely on the shelves
It's funny that you mention making your own salsa because I have been doing this lately and it is coming out great but DH prefers Tostitos brand (I blame it on his mother ).

I have been using the big vinegar jugs for water storage, they're great . The vinegar smell is easy to wash out.

One of Sharon Astyk's blogs this week has some great links for making your own ketchups, mustards, and chutneys along with eating seasonally. http://sharonastyk.com/2009/01/22/condimental/
Old 01-25-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaddon View Post
This is a wonderful idea. Right now we are having a very rough time and thankfully we had a lot put back. Not as much as past years, but still. We are only having to spend around $80 every 2 weeks for a family of 4 adults and 2 kids that eat (DD is EBF still)

We are lucky enough to live on a farm. My DH and I were planning what to do w/ the tax check and we have decided that chickens are on our list, sheep, and the seeds for our garden this year. I am going to list our plan for everyone to see.

What we have (resources now)

We raise pigs so we always have pork for fresh meat
We have some cows so we have about 2 beef to butcher every year
We are able to hunt and usually have venision, rabbit, and squirel.
We raise butcher rabitts, but need to find a few more to finish out
We have plenty of land to grow on.
We trade out grain from the crops to feed our animals with
We have a few of the very large water holders that are the size of our truck bed
We have well water so a generator will provide us w/ fresh water.
Means to heat house w/ firewood if needed

What we will be getting/doing this year

We are buying a herd of sheep
A milk goat
Chickens- for eggs and to butcher (a lot of them)
I would like a horse to have (last on list)
We are building a large root cellar this spring)
We will be putting out around 3 acres of garden
We are planting on orchard for fruits as well
Our generator was stolen so we will be getting a new one to run our freezers if something was to happen.
We are going to start storing things like sugar, cooking oil, and other essentials that we will not make/grow

We already have an area set up to store canned foods and we currently have 3 freezers to store food in. We have been canning for a while

So what things will everyone be making on their own??

And no we are not LDS either, we are just striving to live off our farm and be self sufficent We also prefer fresh foods.
Wow...can I come live you? It sounds like you're pretty much all set.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeydee View Post

I have been using the big vinegar jugs for water storage, they're great . The vinegar smell is easy to wash out.

One of Sharon Astyk's blogs this week has some great links for making your own ketchups, mustards, and chutneys along with eating seasonally. http://sharonastyk.com/2009/01/22/condimental/
Thanks! And especially for the recipe link.

My dad used to lament the passing of the pickle as a food staple. When he was a kid, everyone had lots of relishes/pickles /sauces that they'd make at home from the garden and serve up through the winter.

I'm hoping to revive some of that custom....if I could only get my family hooked on the taste of a condiment that doesn't come from the store!

User Tag List