Green Mamas Tribe! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 101 Old 03-18-2009, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all!

I am a green mom trying to live simply. I am a single mom so it's important that I do things like shop at thrift stores and reuse as much as I can. I am very conscious about lights and the powere we use. I use all non toxic natural cleaners. I have moved into a house with a yard that doesn't get much sunlight and that is driving me crazy. I have an organic garden for 12 years. I cc'd all of my kids and breastfed forever. Now, they are 16. 13. 10 and 8. It's nice to be here among mommies who care!

Dee
#62 of 101 Old 03-18-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhamom View Post
I love to freecycle! Even if your hotwater heater didn't work someone would have most likely taken it for the scrap metal content. People can use the most unusual things so I post everything.
You never know what people will want. I have had some pretty unusual things go on Freecycle!

The next big "green" thing I want to do around my house is put up a clothes line. I used to just hang things out on my deck, but it was rotten and we tore it down, so I have no place to hang things. There is this weird metal thing (hard to explain) outside where the deck was. I am hoping to utilize it somehow with a clothes line. It is SO incredibly dry here ALL THE TIME that it just makes sense to hang things out. They dry in no time.

I'm also trying to "reclaim" water. I have a big jug sitting on my counter that I've been putting water in. Last night I steamed broccoli, and I put the rest of the water from the steamer in it. Anytime the kids have leftover water that they haven't drank, I try to remember to throw it in there. It might not turn out to be much, but it'll water my herbs at least.
#63 of 101 Old 03-18-2009, 05:43 PM

your plants will love leftover steamer water!

i am now a Freecycle moderator! (like i don;t already have enough to do around here)

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#64 of 101 Old 03-20-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
your plants will love leftover steamer water!
I hope so! Very cool about being a Freecycle moderator, btw.

Does anyone bring their own containers to restaurants? There is this one restaurant very close to our house that we love to go to. It is a locally owned Thai food restaurant with out of this world food! We ALWAYS have leftovers though, and their "doggie bags" are styrofoam containers. Next time we go, providing I remember ahead of time, I am going to bring our own containers. I figure there are people who will think it's rude, but too bad! Anyone else do this? Have you gotten strange looks or comments?
#65 of 101 Old 03-24-2009, 06:30 PM

Anyone ever have a canning party? I'm thinking of having some this season, but I'm still thinking about the logistics. Any btdt stories would be greatly appreciated!
#66 of 101 Old 03-25-2009, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

I wanna hear canning party stories too!! I'm planning some myself this season. Luckily I'll be in a community with some experienced canners; we're moving to an ecovillage. I'm so excited! Just in time for the growing season.
#67 of 101 Old 03-25-2009, 08:44 PM

I doubt we'll have anythign that we can can this year - maybe next year. If I get there, I woudl love to try to set up a canning party around here!

Oh, and my lettuce and spinach sprouted, as well as four mystery plants from my worm bin. It think two are nectarine trees. Anyone know what I should do with them? They are so cute! I have no clue what the other two are.
#68 of 101 Old 03-28-2009, 01:02 PM

Earth Hour tonight!

www.earthhour.org

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#69 of 101 Old 03-28-2009, 01:14 PM

That's cool about the plants sprouting from your worm bin! I had planned on planting sage this weekend, but my garden is covered in snow! So, unless it's really warm today (which is a possibility), no planting this weekend. Bummer. Oh well - the kids are on spring break next week, so they can always help.
#70 of 101 Old 03-28-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
That's cool about the plants sprouting from your worm bin! I had planned on planting sage this weekend, but my garden is covered in snow! So, unless it's really warm today (which is a possibility), no planting this weekend. Bummer. Oh well - the kids are on spring break next week, so they can always help.
I'm thinking of using some of my worm casings to sprout peas. It will be my first poop harvest! We're just raining here, but it is just too smushy in my yard to be outside. One of my projects this year is too address drainage. I will planting a rain garden and trying to convince DH we need a dry creek bed.
#71 of 101 Old 03-28-2009, 04:14 PM

Around where we live, canning is very routine. It often works out that I can together with a friend, mom-in-law, sis-in-law, etc. to get a few batches of salsa or jam put away. My mom is coming out for a visit to see our little baby, but probably won't be able to get here until late August or early September. I said that would be just fine, we could do lots of canning at that point!!

Someone mentioned that they probably won't have anything to can this year. Even if you don't have a garden, it is sometimes worthwhile to can things yourself. You know exactly what is in your food. If there is a farmer's market nearby, you can usually find things very inexpensively in season - especially larger quantities. Things like salsa are so worth it! Of course, if you don't have all the canning stuff, it is a big investment at first. We found almost all our canning equipment through an auction sale for a very low price.

I was at a mom-to-mom swap this morning. I love getting new-to-us clothes for great prices, and know that they are going to be well used at our house, after they have already been enjoyed by another family...and then we'll pass them along to someone else after we're through.

Carlyn - loving and caring for my family.
Married 13 years, mama to 12 (boy), 8, 6, 4, 1 (girls)
#72 of 101 Old 03-31-2009, 10:42 AM

Nice to find a bunch of other green mamas!

We're making a huge effort to be green around here. Both DH and I work for an environmental charity so our office is pretty good at doing the basics and we've made adjustments at home to reduce the size of our footprint. A few of the changes have saved us money as well as being kinder to the earth. We're vegan and use cloth nappies, and are working on using the car less (our office just moved which means we can walk to work - yay!) and will start up composting again shortly (we have a green cone and it went slimy so we moved it).

We make a lot of food in the slow cooker and I'd be interested in canning. I remember my mum doing a lot of it when I was smaller. Will be nice to show DD how to live simply as she grows up.
#73 of 101 Old 03-31-2009, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
yea! i'm glad this is still going! i love all three ideas-especially the topic of the month we all do.

i think this will help us stay motivated, and for some of us-me who are not so green with everything, i think it will teach a lot!

off-topic vent: my dh and i are very passionate about preserving our planet and energy sources and most of our extended family does not believe it matters!!!! its hard to believe even with the government now really placing emphasize on green matters!
#74 of 101 Old 03-31-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyn View Post
Around where we live, canning is very routine. It often works out that I can together with a friend, mom-in-law, sis-in-law, etc. to get a few batches of salsa or jam put away. My mom is coming out for a visit to see our little baby, but probably won't be able to get here until late August or early September. I said that would be just fine, we could do lots of canning at that point!!
Can I ask about the logistics of canning with several people? How does that work out? I know it probably sounds silly, but I don't want to have a few people over, and then someone feel like they're getting slighted or doing more of the work or whatever. I'm probably being overly sensitive about it! (Hey, I'm preggo.) I'm really looking forward to canning though. I'd love to hear the things you can. Right now, the big ones on my list are tomato products (salsa, sauce, tomatoes), jams, fruits and pickles. I'm honestly nervous about the less acid-y things that require a pressure cooker, and I'm thinking since it's been so long since I canned anything that we'll keep it simple this year!
#75 of 101 Old 04-02-2009, 10:03 PM

we have gotton pretty green over the years so are always looking for new things. A while ago my hubby watched a movie about how toxic (everything) shoes are - it was talking about greening industries but used the shoes as an example. he was really freaked out by what he saw. so our new ambition is to buy eco friendly shoes. we just got my daughter a sweet little pair of "simple" brand sneakers. I have to admit, as a woman, the shoes are a bit challenging for me. I want her to have all the sparkly, fancy shoes she wants. We are also trying not to buy used (which we do for most everything else) only on the shoes because they are the one thing you should always try to buy new for proper alignment and such of growing children's feet. So I let my hubby decide and bought the earth friendly shoes. (and am pretty grateful to have a hubby who is even more green than me)

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

#76 of 101 Old 04-04-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talia rose View Post
. (and am pretty grateful to have a hubby who is even more green than me)
That's cool. My hubby is pretty darn "green," too. It has definitely been a process (well for both of us - but definitely for him!), but it's nice to have your SO on board!

We went to a local nursery and came home with two house plants today. I'm so excited about them! We got an aloe plant and a jasmine plant (we also got a rosemary plant, but that is for outside). I want to get more plants, but it's a start! The kids were really jazzed. They helped repot them, and we had a great discussion about indoor air quality. :
#77 of 101 Old 04-04-2009, 12:39 AM

getting the kids involved with the planting of the gardens (even indoor plants!) is so great. i love that michelle obama had schoolkids come break ground for their organic garden. the kids are our future and i have a feeling raising your own food is going to become very importasnt in their lifetimes.

here is a chart of houseplants that remove indoor toxins. http://organicgrace.com/node/260

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

#78 of 101 Old 04-04-2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
here is a chart of houseplants that remove indoor toxins. http://organicgrace.com/node/260
Awesome. Thanks for posting that. My only concern is getting plants that aren't harmful if they're eaten. I never worried about that with my older kids, but the little one will put ANYTHING in his mouth! Then there's the very lovable, but not too smart cats! Great list - we almost bought a bamboo today, too.
#79 of 101 Old 04-04-2009, 07:54 PM

it's a beautiful sunny spring day here in northern cal. i hung out the laundry first time this season and cooked in the solar oven!
(though in reality i am praying for much more rain or we will be in great trouble!)

#80 of 101 Old 04-04-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
it's a beautiful sunny spring day here in northern cal. i hung out the laundry first time this season and cooked in the solar oven!
(though in reality i am praying for much more rain or we will be in great trouble!)
It's snowing and COLD here! Please tell me about your solar oven. It's so cool you mentioned that because I have been thinking about that a lot lately. I'd like to do more research on them (it'll probably happen when I'm laid up with a newborn and a laptop!) What did you cook in it?

p.s. We need WAY more moisture than we've gotten, too, or we are also going to be in trouble.
#81 of 101 Old 04-04-2009, 09:17 PM

we have (and sell) global sun ovens. they seem to really have it down in terms of details and efficiency. we cook more than half our food in it all summer and even sometimes in winter if it's sunny. today i cooked yams, and gluten free corn dogs. we often cook potatoes, bananna bread, dahl, chicken, veggie dishes, leftovers, soup, you name it really. it is a fantastic thing!

let's both manifest much more rain. colorado and cali both had their share of lightening fires last year. i live on the river and it is so low right now, when it should be at it's fullest....

#82 of 101 Old 04-04-2009, 11:38 PM

That is really cool about the solar ovens. I'm definitely going to look into them further!

Quote:
let's both manifest much more rain. colorado and cali both had their share of lightening fires last year. i live on the river and it is so low right now, when it should be at it's fullest....
Absolutely! Bring on the rain for both areas!
#83 of 101 Old 04-11-2009, 03:25 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Any of the you green mamas own a soda maker or know anyone that does? I'm aware that it's much healthier to not drink soda at all, but both the hubs and I enjoy it and will probably continue to do so. However, I'm trying to make changes to our grocery buying habits, etc to be more green in the kitchen. I was reading an article about these soda makers and they really intrigue me, but i don't want to drop that kind of cash if I they aren't truly enjoyable products.
Meanwhile we have done much better at consuming less electicity and we're making even more of our own cleaners so it's another small step in the right direction. We have also cut our tp usage in half and have almost cut out all reliance on disposable diapers and wipes now that I've gotten a more suitable cd stash.
#84 of 101 Old 04-11-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post
Any of the you green mamas own a soda maker or know anyone that does? I'm aware that it's much healthier to not drink soda at all, but both the hubs and I enjoy it and will probably continue to do so. However, I'm trying to make changes to our grocery buying habits, etc to be more green in the kitchen. I was reading an article about these soda makers and they really intrigue me, but i don't want to drop that kind of cash if I they aren't truly enjoyable products.
Meanwhile we have done much better at consuming less electicity and we're making even more of our own cleaners so it's another small step in the right direction. We have also cut our tp usage in half and have almost cut out all reliance on disposable diapers and wipes now that I've gotten a more suitable cd stash.
My husband makes homemade gingerale and rootbeer easily. He buys a tiny bottle of rootbeer extract, which lasts a long time (and even longer for us, as he's the only one who drinks it, and only very occasionally - more often it is for a special occasion when we are with friends). He makes a 2 L bottle at a time.

Rootbeer uses a wee bit of yeast, some sugar or honey, water, and a bit of the rootbeer extract. You mix it around, then let it sit in a warm place for a few days. Voila, rootbeer!

For homemade gingerale, he grates fresh ginger instead of using the rootbeer extract. If you look online, there are lots of ideas for how to make it. If you want his exact recipe, I can ask him about it later and post it for you.

Carlyn - loving and caring for my family.
Married 13 years, mama to 12 (boy), 8, 6, 4, 1 (girls)
#85 of 101 Old 04-14-2009, 03:13 PM

Can I join your group? :

I have been "green" for about 20 years or so. I am also extremely frugal, we live a very simple life and a natural life. So all these things sort of mesh together into me.

My green thing started way back in the late 80s when I joined the ecology club/earth club at school. It was Earth Day 1990, which would be the 20th annivery at the time of Earth Day that I learned a lot more. Be fore that it was more about recycling cans etc than anything else.

As far as green, a lot cross over into the frugal living but we waste not a whole lot compared to most people. We find uses for food and make up some really creative. We cook from scratch 99% of what we eat. We eat out occasionally mainly to the local owned places so they stay in business.
My 6 yr old has requested we start an indoor worm composter after she had fun watching all the worms outside, so thats next on the agenda. Right now, I compost outside.

We did cloth diaper (dd2 just out of diapers), cloth napkin, cloth rags, line dry, hang dry, use reuable bags for everything, do use ziplocs- but we wash and reuse over and over. Collect rainwater, I want to rig my gray washing water to go outside to the garden. I am trying to convince DH to set up panels on the roof. That is down the line. We also do a lot of giving and taking from freecycle and do a lot of shopping on craigslist ebay etc.

I could go on and on but I think I found a group to work with!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#86 of 101 Old 04-14-2009, 03:48 PM

I'm so excited! I ordered an umbrella clothes dryer yesterday, and I am so excited for it to get here. I went to a Holistic Moms Network playgroup today, so I could actually talk about it to other people who would be excited for me! : I've done a lot of drying outside during the summer here because our house had this old deck on it that I could hang things on (classy - I know) plus I've had those small fold up hanger things, but the kids always break those! I have demolished the old, rotten deck, so there's no place to hang the clothes outside. Now I'm going to have a proper place to hang the stuff to dry! It is so incredibly, unbelievably, outrageously dry here (can you tell I hate the climate?!) that the clothes dry so quickly outdoors.
#87 of 101 Old 04-14-2009, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I'm thinking of getting a couple of those solar lanterns to use during the summer and fall for extra lighting. I thought I could set them outside in my back area (not really a yard, as I'm an apartment dweller), and bring them in at night. I know I probably wouldn't use them for all my lighting needs, but it would be a help. Do you think the upfront costs would pay off fairly quickly, however? I'm pretty low income right now. I'm hoping I won't be for long, but until we're pretty financially secure it would be lower on my list, at least after reusable batteries and a few more cds for my dd.

I'm also putting some empty juice bottles filled with water into my toilet tanks to help lower consumption there. I am hoping to get some low flow shower heads, and I almost always share a bath with dd so that cuts down on water substancially. Any other tricks you can think of for an apartment dwelling mama?
#88 of 101 Old 04-17-2009, 10:35 PM

happyhats - have you thought about vermicomposting?

I'm so happy - my umbrella clothes dryer got here today! Woo hoo! Of course, we have several inches of snow on the ground. Perhaps I can use it next week?
#89 of 101 Old 04-17-2009, 11:45 PM
mlh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
I'm so excited! I ordered an umbrella clothes dryer yesterday, and I am so excited for it to get here. I went to a Holistic Moms Network playgroup today, so I could actually talk about it to other people who would be excited for me! .

ColoradoMama...did you go to the Denver HMN meeting? I am a member, but haven't made it to a meeting yet (I'm up North a bit).

I have also been wanting one of those umbrella dryers. I have a friend who uses one and loves it! I'm guessing if you are in denver you are getting tons of snow, we have been getting rain/snow all day today!

: Hip Mountain Mama Natural and unique products from a small family business:Blog
Mama to Magnolia and Sienna Raynebow
#90 of 101 Old 04-18-2009, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
ColoradoMama...did you go to the Denver HMN meeting? I am a member, but haven't made it to a meeting yet (I'm up North a bit).

I have also been wanting one of those umbrella dryers. I have a friend who uses one and loves it! I'm guessing if you are in denver you are getting tons of snow, we have been getting rain/snow all day today!
Yes I am in Denver, and yes I went to the HMN meeting. I've been a member for nearly a year. I haven't been to very many meetings yet because I have been really sick with this pregnancy - they're usually pretty interesting though! I hope you can make one soon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page