Green Mamas Tribe! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-18-2009, 02:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jumping in kind of late but here's my intro :
My name is Karin. I am 37 and originally from Europe (where being green seems to be a whole lot easier than here in Texas.)
I grew up on a little farm in Bavaria and we've always composted, collected rainwater, recycled, brought our own shopping baskets, etc.
It was a little weird when I first moved here 17 years ago -before everybody had reusable shopping bags- because the stores always seemed to think I was a potential shoplifter bringing in bags, etc. LOL
Anyway. Now I live on a little farm again. I just love it. Animals, nature, etc.
We have horses, goats, chickens, etc.
I have 2 kids both born at home on the farm (midwives), cloth daipered, etc.
We use a lot of cloth (diapers, pads, wipes, etc.)
Over time I have really grown to appreciate native plants and that's sort of my passion right now. Especially with us having horses it has made me really aware how little native grassland is left and has been replaced with monoculture (coastal bermuda grass).

What I am working on... Too much time on the computer. I need to turn that thing off more often...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2009, 01:01 PM

Have I mentioned that we have chickens now?! I'm so excited! We're getting 1.78 eggs per day so far, which is really great. At that rate, we'll have enough eggs for our family - and maybe an extra 6 here and there to give to the neighbors for being gracious about it all. We live in a really urban area, but so far, so good! We do not have roosters ... so no crowing, but hens squawk an awful lot when they're laying an egg.

It's raining so much today & yesterday - wish we had a rain collection barrel. <sigh>

We've been teaching by example to our 20 yr old nanny - she's quietly watching and observing and is very fascinated by vinegar as a cleaning product and by breastfeeding, etc. Natural parenting & living does make an impact.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
Old 04-19-2009, 08:09 AM

hello :

i would like to join your group too :

i am a 37-year young single mum from germany, living in germany currently with my little daughter of age 3. my ex-boyfriend (and dd's father) lives in L.A./usa and we tend to reunite our family end of this year. my daughter and i will come for a visit of 1 month this summer to see if we are still in love and then move to L.A. end of this year.

anyway, i try to live my life as green as possible. since we live in a big city it is not always 100% possible. i still breastfeed (is this green?) and only used cloth diapers for dd. we only eat organic food, use organic cosmetics and i only buy organic or secondhand clothes for both of us. i try to safe energy in the household and to minimize garbage. i love to walk barefoot, so does my dd. people tend to ask us whether we dont have the money for shoes

i like the waldorf / anthroposophical theory and my dd has only toys made of natural materials. she joins a natural / forest preschool right now and she loves to spend her time outside allday. i teach her to respect any living species on this earth. i also treat ourselfe homeopathically only in case of illness.

my learning process has become really strong when my dd was born. unfortunately she got all vaccinations - i wish i had the knowledge that i have now back then. i am now much more critical about vaccins.

my personal dream would be to live on an organic farm with lots of animals, surrounded by great nature but that wont be possible either in L.A., unfortunately.

Me with the wonder of my life (2/06) * : * : * * * ...surfin' together on the wave of life : ...
Old 04-19-2009, 09:51 AM

subbing

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 04-21-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooopsy View Post
hello :
my personal dream would be to live on an organic farm with lots of animals, surrounded by great nature

Me too! :
Old 04-22-2009, 05:22 PM

happyhats, have you considered the crank lanterns? We have a few of them we use when we camp and lose electricity (we live in the middle of no where) and they put off quite a bit of light. WHen they get low you just crank the handle and they are re energized.

I was wondering if anyone else uses their own bags for veggies? I saw a package of 3 small mesh bags at the 1.00 store one day when I happen to be there with someone else so I bought three packages and I use them for all my veggies instead of those plastic things. Up to that point I had been putting it all loose in my cart and that was a pain. These are great and they are reusable too :

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

Old 06-19-2009, 01:03 PM

So, I bought an outdoor clothes line, and after that - we've had the wettest spring probably in the history of Colorado! Apparently, all I had to do to get it to rain in Colorado is to get a clothes line. Oh well, it WILL dry out, and I'll be able to use it regularly.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:32 PM

Just subbing. Would love to learn more.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:26 PM

I'd love to join the group, as well. I started on my "going green" journey when my son was born in 2001 and have continued to make eco-friendly changes in our lives.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:33 PM

I just passed on my cloth diapers! I was at our town pool yesterday when a mama I know was walking by with her baby. The baby had a pink fuzzi bunz on. I asked what size she was and I have 18 of them! So she came and picked them up. She wanted to pay me, but I refuse to take payment for these since I used them for so so many months. She promised when done to pass them on as well.

So our town has a refund available up to $80 a year for rain barrels and now they are starting a refund for purchasing composters as well. I asked the village manager/my neighbor is I could get a refund for my compost pile. Not happening. I just put a pile on the ground, turn it and wow compost that is awesome. :

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 07-04-2009, 10:33 PM

I'm subbing to this thread... going back to read it all now, but I am loving what I'm reading in the first few posts and I'm in!!!

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010

User Tag List