Where should I put my office? More info post #7 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Where should I put my office?
My Bedroom 0 0%
DH's Bedroom 1 25.00%
Playroom 3 75.00%
Kids' room 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-26-2009, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I have the opportunity to move into a (much needed) larger house. The upstairs has 4 bedrooms. One for the older boys, one for me and the younger boys, one for my DH and one for a playroom. I don't want my computer in the playroom or boys' bedroom, but I want it on the same level as the playroom.

Should I put it in my room (where the baby will be taking naps and the kids could get into it) or in DH's room (where I couldn't be on the computer at night because he'll be asleep)?

I'm putting the other rooms as options just in case someone has an idea I haven't thought of.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-26-2009, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Is there any way to have both the playroom and the office on a different level of the house than the bedrooms?

Could the kids play in the older boys' bedroom or DH's bedroom, rather than having a separate playroom, giving you a whole room for your office on the same level as the toys?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#3 of 9 Old 01-26-2009, 09:41 PM

Is there a chance you can put your office/computer into a closet in the playroom where you can close the doors (possibly lock the doors) away from little fingers

http://www.bubbleshare.com/myalbum/5...98e7249/editor
#4 of 9 Old 01-26-2009, 09:45 PM

How much room do you need? Do you have just a desk and computer? Is it possible to tuck it in the corner of the living room? You could get an armoire so it is closed up if no one is using it. I wouldn't want it in the playroom or the kids' bedroom. I personally like the computer out in the open.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#5 of 9 Old 01-26-2009, 10:46 PM

When do you use the computer most often? Do you stay up later than your dh often and use the computer?
Is space an issue? Are all the rooms the same size with the same amount of furniture and stuff before you put the office in?

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#6 of 9 Old 01-26-2009, 10:51 PM

Healthwise you do not want your office in your (or the kids) bedrooms because of electro magnetic waves. If your bedroom is really big and you can keep all electrical devices more than 6 feet away from where you sleep it may be okay.....

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

#7 of 9 Old 01-27-2009, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your input!

My desk is an L shape - not really big, but too big to fit in an armoire. It's out in the open right now and I hate it! The kids get into my papers, mess with the computer, turn it off, etc. I really don't want it in the playroom because I'd never be able to leave them unsupervised in there.

However, the rooms are plenty big - space really isn't an issue. I'm toying with the idea of putting all 4 boys in one room, moving back in with DH and having an office of my own. But that would mean an end to co-sleeping. Another idea would be to put me and all the boys in the "master" and have my own office.

I don't work late at night, but I do stay up late and mess around on the computer. I certainly could make better use of that time though, if I had to turn off the computer when DH went to bed.
#8 of 9 Old 01-27-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spewie View Post
My desk is an L shape - not really big, but too big to fit in an armoire. It's out in the open right now and I hate it! The kids get into my papers, mess with the computer, turn it off, etc. I really don't want it in the playroom because I'd never be able to leave them unsupervised in there.
I was re-reading my earlier post and I don't think I was clear- I meant get rid of the desk and put the computer in the armoire, not the desk and the computer even though it sounds like that is what I meant!

Given the update, since you are co-sleeping still, I like the idea of moving all the boys to your room and using their room as an office. Since you will have a playroom, all they will be doing is sleeping there and all their toys can be in the playroom. You can keep the office door shut so no one is in there if they are not supposed to be in there.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#9 of 9 Old 01-27-2009, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb View Post
I was re-reading my earlier post and I don't think I was clear- I meant get rid of the desk and put the computer in the armoire, not the desk and the computer even though it sounds like that is what I meant!
Oh, I knew what you meant! I just have too much stuff for it to fit in an armoire. Lots of work crap. Although, maybe if I had a locking file cabinet next to it. Hmmm, I'll have to look at armoires!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb View Post
Given the update, since you are co-sleeping still, I like the idea of moving all the boys to your room and using their room as an office. Since you will have a playroom, all they will be doing is sleeping there and all their toys can be in the playroom. You can keep the office door shut so no one is in there if they are not supposed to be in there.
I'm leaning toward this too. I really don't want toys where the boys will be sleeping (distraction). Plus, if all the boys are sleeping in one room maybe I can sneak into DH's room once in a while.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page