Moms of Messy Houses 2009 Tribe - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 121 Old 01-31-2009, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post
Hehe.. Thank you! Now I do feel like there are other people out there like me!
#62 of 121 Old 02-01-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmansions View Post
Well my parents either use "slobnik" "slobovnik" or "sloppy joe" to describe people like me. Maybe Sloppy Janes? Ha. Ha. (my smilies don't work)

My neighbor is queen of tidy. Makes it worse for me! To see her place on a regular basis is just depressing. But she is ruthless about throwing stuff out, and says she is too obsessive about it.
haha Sloppy Janes is cute! And I have a very tidy friend, even on her worst days (works 60 hour weeks, is the only one who cleans, and has 2 boys and 2 dogs) her house is cleaner than mine on my best :

aniT sorry your help didn't show, hope she's feeling better if she is sick. If she flaked though

Quote:
Originally Posted by shukr View Post
Ok - excuses I've made since I had children (before children I was an 'everything out' kind of girl (in the house and of course i'm referring to paperwork/books etc. giggle) so i've always had trouble finding places for things to belong in, but also i like to see things or i forget them and get duplicates but after children excuses include:

1. now little people move stuff around
2. there is more stuff to move as more people
3. we are always living in less than optimal space
4. i b'feed a lot and have other stuff to do (feeble )
5. ummmmmm, i'm sure there's another good one somewhere in my mind..........

i'm also realising that even when thongs are actually ok i still see them as messy because my self talk is 'messy, filthy, gros, work to do' etc....so i try to rechannel that occasionally to allow myself 'reasonable, peaceful' etc.....but the negative talk has been going on so long it's hard to break and i can get caught up in trying to work out exactly how bad is it really through other people's eyes. hope that makes sense.

we could call ourselves 'mamas in clutter crisis' - i feel like it is somehow reflective of inner state, so finding that 'kink' in my thought process/ attitude will unlock something maybe.........not that i'm obsessed about the state of my home or anything
Clutter crisis that's exactly what it is! We're not messy our homes just have a clutter crisis And my excuse to the mess is "the kids just keep me too busy" certainly not a lie!

thank you Devaskyla for being brave. I should have taken pictures this morning, but didn't think of it. I'd take pictures now but most of the house is spotless. we've got company coming! So I did get most of my goals completed. Clothes still aren't put away that's usually the hardest job around here. LO's thought of helping with clothes is unfolding and taking some to every room.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#63 of 121 Old 02-01-2009, 03:16 AM

I love the pictures. This is definitely the place for me. This morning, we were getting the girls ready for dance classes and dp asked me, "where are the leotards and tights?" My response? "On top of the easel under the remote control that doesn't work."
#64 of 121 Old 02-01-2009, 04:22 AM

Devaskyla, you rock! If my dh hadn't dropped our camera 3 weeks ago and broke it I'd post pics, too. Then again, if my camera saw this mess the lens probably would crack on its own!

Has anyone tried any of the Flylady techniques? I was on the site earlier today.
#65 of 121 Old 02-01-2009, 04:31 AM

Ok....maybe I will post pics

I did find my camera today :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#66 of 121 Old 02-01-2009, 04:34 AM

I looked at flylady, but just couldn't get past the clean sink thing. Honestly, I'm thrilled if one of my sinks is empty. I have absolutely no counter space in the kitchen, so dirty dishes go in the sink. And we always have dirty dishes.

I think my main problem with cleaning is that it's so disheartening. You spend so much time & energy,*hours* sometimes, cleaning something out & within a few hours or days, it looks like you never touched it. It honestly makes me want to cry sometimes. I literally spent 4 hours one day cleaning out the floor & hanging part of our front closet. I got rid of 2 bags of stuff to be donated, a bag of garbage, plus some other stuff that wouldn't fit in a bag. A week later, you couldn't tell I'd done anything. It just makes me feel like I shouldn't even bother, since it won't make a difference anyway.

I'll try to take some pictures of our 'clean' bedroom tomorrow. I wish I'd had some of it over Christmas, after my mom brought in a car load of stuff. There was literally a little path from the bed to the door & a couple of spots to put your feet to get to my dresser. The rest of the floor was covered in bags of presents & clothes, plus my laundry & ds2's bike. It's much, much better now. There's space for the kids to play!

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#67 of 121 Old 02-01-2009, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I think my main problem with cleaning is that it's so disheartening. You spend so much time & energy,*hours* sometimes, cleaning something out & within a few hours or days, it looks like you never touched it. It honestly makes me want to cry sometimes. I literally spent 4 hours one day cleaning out the floor & hanging part of our front closet. I got rid of 2 bags of stuff to be donated, a bag of garbage, plus some other stuff that wouldn't fit in a bag. A week later, you couldn't tell I'd done anything. It just makes me feel like I shouldn't even bother, since it won't make a difference anyway.
: I feel exactly the same. Like, I might be more inclined to clean if it made a difference. Problem is even when I clean my heart out, I still have to do it again the next day. Like the other day, I was telling my DH that I was upset. He asked what the problem was. I said "I just realized that I have to dishes and laundry for the REST OF MY LIFE! UGH!" I know I should just suck it up and get to work....but....... um where are my excuses? dang it. I have none.

aknit.gif trekkie.gif mama to DS reading.gif and DD energy.gif autismribbon.gif  

#68 of 121 Old 02-01-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:

This is so true. When I get a chance to clean the house uninterrupted, it doesn't last. Even things that have nothing to do with my kids, like dust bunnies, return in a day or two. Add on the family mess, and 24 hours of clean and tidy is the max I get for my efforts.

I had a housecleaner for about 9 months in 2008. My DH went back to night school with a heavy schedule, and my end of the deal was to get a housecleaner. But then DH got word he would be laid off in 2009, so that was the end of the housecleaner. Honestly tho, it's not really that much better to have one. I was a raving lunatic the few days before she came, trying to pick everything up and tidy for her. I yelled at the kids more than was necessary about picking stuff up and leaving toys put away. This was because the cleaners would throw out stuff that was left on the floor - whether puzzle or game pieces, papers, a fork forgotten under a chair, etc. So I got very fussy about having everything up, and then after they left, I would go dig through the top bag in the garbage can to collect all the stuff that was not supposed to be in there (and wash it of course; there was no food in there.)

The best thing about having the housecleaner was that she was a good, consistent cleaner and my WHOLE house would be clean at the same time.

I'm trying now to do floors every 2 weeks minimum, and to do the bathrooms in the middle 2 weeks of the month so I can more easily remember when they were done last. I tried to do them weekly and all that did was make me feel guilty for not getting them done.
#69 of 121 Old 02-02-2009, 12:43 AM

So the person who was going to help me clean did show up this morning. We got the downstairs clean as well as the playroom. There is still a lot of work to do upstairs.. much of that is laundry. She is supposed to let me know when her next day off is so she can help. I feel so much better with the downstairs clean. Even my 5 year old came home from staying the night at grandma's and said, "Wow! Who cleaned the house? It looks wonderful."
#70 of 121 Old 02-02-2009, 01:16 AM

: This is so me. Though I won't stay and type why, because I have to clean.
#71 of 121 Old 02-02-2009, 11:18 PM

I'm in, but I'm in transition of becoming someone like June Cleaver. June Cleaver is my idol

This is long. Sorry. (Before pics at bottom--"after" pics tomorrow).

I've never been able to keep house. Always piles of dishes in the sink--so much that there is not one clean utensil or bowl/plate. That's when I'd wash one spoon and eat cold spaghettio's out of the can because I didn't want to do the dishes. And I can't tell you how many times I brushed off or even vacumed my bed sheets (dog hair or cookie crumbs or whatever) instead of changing the sheets.

October 2008 I had had enough. Enough. I can clean and organize. No problem. Keeping it clean is the hard part. I've been doing very well since October, with the exception of Christmas (there's still dried cookie icing on my dining room floor....but I have swept quite a few times).

My mom is a hoarder. The woman has like 5 kitchen tables, 40 pots/pans, 200 cups, 2 sets of bedroom furnitue and the list goes on (just her living there). If she finds a good deal, she'll buy it and take it home. There is no place to sit. Every surface is covered with crap. Each dining room chair, each table, couche, recliner. The sink is piled, every.inch.of.counter.space. is cluttered. Beyond cluttered. I think there's something dead in her fridge. The bathroom counter....OMG. She must have 10 bottles EACH of a product sitting on the counter. She can't park her car in the garage because she has more furniture out there (can't pass up those good deals!).

I have panick attacks in her house. My life is stressed at my house when it starts to get like that. So, I've been much better since October. I do have before photo's--and I can get after photo's when I go home tonight. (Before photo's at end of this post).

I kept my house clean for one month--the month of October. Now, I can't have it any other way. I feel like I can't breath if the counters start piling up. It still gets out of control and I have to take more time to correct it, whereas if I spend a little time each day and keep it tidy, it's no big deal.

I don't have a dishwasher It's very easy to let the dishes pile up. I make sure all dishes are washed/dried/put away before I go to sleep. In the morning, I make some dishwater. I make breakfast for dd. Dishes go into the water, get a quick swoosh, rinse and are put on the drying towel. Those same dishes are used for her lunch...repeat the cycle until they're put away at the end of day. This has worked very well for me.

I like to race myself with housework. I have to make it fun somehow I guess. My kitchen floor was disgusting today. Food spilled, dried pumpkin splashes from pumpkin pancakes I made, grapes dried on the floor, mud from outside, etc. Disgusting. I've been known to let it go that way for a looooooong time I hate mopping. I usually mop when I HAVE to or once every 2+ months. I set my kitchen timer for 10 minutes and raced the clock. I finished in 12 minutes. Next time, I'll shoot for exactly 10 to beat my record. Now I know how long it takes and it will be easier to make myself do it more often.

I race myself with all sorts of things--cleaning the bathroom, the dishes, folding/putting away laundry, etc. I'll either set it for the time I want to stop (i.e., I will only do dishes for 20 minutes, even if they're not done, and then I will play with dd) or the time I want to beat (I want to finish the dishes in this amount of time). I guess for me, the kitchen timer keeps me on track. It keeps my mind/body focussed on what I want to accomplish, instead of getting side tracked with other things. And as soon as that small task is accomplished, it's play time for awhile.

Quote:
I looked at flylady, but just couldn't get past the clean sink thing. Honestly, I'm thrilled if one of my sinks is empty. I have absolutely no counter space in the kitchen, so dirty dishes go in the sink. And we always have dirty dishes.

I'll try to take some pictures of our 'clean' bedroom tomorrow. I wish I'd had some of it over Christmas, after my mom brought in a car load of stuff. There was literally a little path from the bed to the door & a couple of spots to put your feet to get to my dresser. The rest of the floor was covered in bags of presents & clothes, plus my laundry & ds2's bike. It's much, much better now. There's space for the kids to play!
It's only me and a toddler (and her dad who comes over and makes more messes than she does) but I do understand when you feel it is hopeless. My counters/table and stove were constantly cluttered. I'd have to shove "junk" over just to use one of the burners--a true fire hazard. I'd clear clear/clean everything off (it would take all day) and somehow, 2 days later everything was piled again. WTH? My motto was, "Why should I clear it off? It's just going to be this way in a couple days."

I'm at work, but I know exactly what I left laying on my table--an outfit for dd that I pulled out of her bag, her socks, a phone book, and a couple other things. That's how it starts. That's how the clutter starts. When I go home, I will clear off those few items....otherwise by next week it will be piled a mile high. "I was going to do it earlier but..." I should have just done it when I noticed it, yk?

As far as flylady's suggestion to start with polishing your sink? I tried that for awhile (the bathroom sink). It encouraged me to spiffy up the rest of the bathroom and the bathroom always looked fantastic. Then I moved into the kitchen after I was able to keep the bathoom looking good. I've heard other mama's on here not getting the need to polish the sink. Don't start there. Start with something that you would benefit from....picking up toys, doing dishes, having a clear counter to make cofee, etc. Pick one small task as your goal and go from there.

Laundry. My washer/dryer is in the kitchen--the kitchen I've been working very hard at keeping clean. So, you walk into my kitchen and see laundry heaping over, next to the washer which is next to the stove. Beautiful. I go through towels/rags like a mad woman (no paper towels). I just throw them in the corner and let them pile up until I discover I have no more towels, of course

Here's what I did yesterday: I put 2 small laundry baskets under the kitchen cabinet (it's empty because I purged and organized that last week). One basket is for nasty rags that need bleached. The other basket is for regular use kitchen towels. When the baskets get full (perfect basket size for one load with my not-so-great-washer) I will throw it in the washer.

I also put 2 large (tall) baskets in the bathroom closet (also empty because I purged things yesterday). One basket is for darks. One is for lights/whites. No need to sort. When they're full, I will throw them in the wash (they're both over full currently....but I just started this new system! I had to move piles of dirty laundry from my kitchen to the bathroom ). But, I think this system will help me SO much!

I still have a lot to do. But I feel so much better already : Less stress. More pride in how my home looks. More pride in myself. My mom came over for Thanksgiving and was in love with what I did to my kitchen (clean/organized and color accents) and told me, "Your house looks so homey." It felt so good to hear that....and I agree. It's come a long way from what it used to be....but I'm not where I want to be yet. I have detailed visions, that I think about daily (a "vision board" if you will), of how I want my house and I think that helps a ton with achieving goals.

Here are the "before" photo's I have with me. I'll get after's tonight if I remember. This is how my house has usually been...worse since becoming a mom.

Kitchen sink/counter1

Kitchen sink/counter2

Above sink

Top of fridge 1 (Those snow flakes were from Christmas of 2007--they stayed up all year long )

Top of fridge 2 (There was a cabinet of junk next to it that I didn't get a photo of).

Dryer next to fridge

Dining room table 1

Dining room table 2

Across the room from table (((shudders)))

View from top (That's 3 xmas trees someone gave me and a bunch more crap that's collected. It doesn't look as bad in the photo--it was piled high).

Across from that is my desk (((shudders again)))

Now. All of those have been taken care of except my desk. I'm at a loss over what to do with desk.

I'll get after photo's posted tomorrow.
#72 of 121 Old 02-03-2009, 05:30 AM

MayBaby : - thank you for your post

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#73 of 121 Old 02-03-2009, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilla626 View Post
I'm in! Anyone brave enough to post pictures?
I have one already posted! On January 8 I posted this one on my Project 365 blog. Her room looks even worse now. So does her sister's.

I got some papers filed today. Yay! But there's so much to keep organized, I can't keep up.

Michele, mom of DD 5/01, DD 11/03, and DS 11/06

http://michelepixels.com/

#74 of 121 Old 02-03-2009, 06:15 AM

After browsing for a couple of days, I'm in. I am trying to keep up better. I think I'm doing an okay (not great) job. My house is always messier than other people I know, but it's not a disaster (most of the time).

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#75 of 121 Old 02-03-2009, 07:51 AM

Ok, what I think I'm going to try to do is make up a list of what I want to accomplish and post it here to keep me honest. At the end of the day I'll post what I actually did. It couldn't hurt, right?

Today's tasks: declutter kitchen countertop, gather old magazines for recycling, declutter coffee table

Wish me luck!
#76 of 121 Old 02-03-2009, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome Rach!

Congrats Maybaby2007! I grew up in a nasty home. It was really and truly disgusting. I don't ever let my house get that bad (well, maybe my floor have been pretty icky before, ) I never learned *how* to clean, and never developed the habit. Also, mess just doesn't stress me out that much. I think if it stressed me out more, then I'd be more clean

I have been thinking about how to form a good habit. I've heard that if you do something everyday for 21 days straight, it becomes a habit good or bad. I am going to test this theory by trying to clean (more deeply than just washing clothes and dishes and declaring the house clean ) everyday for 21 days. Anyone want to join me? I'm going to need all the support I can get. :

aknit.gif trekkie.gif mama to DS reading.gif and DD energy.gif autismribbon.gif  

#77 of 121 Old 02-03-2009, 10:01 AM

I'll join you simonsmama! I'm up for the challenge. I'm posting on a daily basis what I plan on doing that day as far as cleaning goes. I'm hoping it will keep me honest and actually get some cleaning done around here.

Can anyone recommend a good all purpose cleaner that is all natural and really works well?
#78 of 121 Old 02-03-2009, 10:57 AM

I'll join in the list as well. And thank you to MayBaby, can't wait to see the after pictures!

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#79 of 121 Old 02-03-2009, 11:01 AM

Beyond trashed here too!

I'll take some photos later and post, but it's just insane.

We have so MUCH STUFF!! It's not manageable. We only have company 1-2x times a year and whent hat occurs things get tossed into a spare room/ closets and piled up in our bedroom, when the company leaves, it literally explodes back all over the house.

Okay, here is a bad thing for you all to giggle about... I haven't cleaned the kitchen floor in over a month. Hurl... :Puke
Even when it's spic and span it never looks clean, so who cares about the literal chuncks of stuff on the floor... I even bought a new mop and mop hanger back in late Dec... mop hanger was finally hung this past weekend, but the new mop.. still wrapped in plastic in my foyer. Gross!

For every step we take in taking control over the house it feels like we take 2 steps back.

My mom's house... great, organized, spotless. I guess I missed the gene. Even as a child I was messy... the old pathway from the door to the bed and bed to the closet, that was it. I am better about clothign now, but only because I have a whole house to spred it all about... grrr...
I have 5 laundry baskets full of clothing needing to be put away and 3 laundry baskets of stuff I did purge from my closets the other day, but it doesn't do much good when it's still sitting about in the house. Not the mention the leaf and lawn bag od clothes that need to go to Goodwill... it's so full and heavy one can not even pick it up to get it out the door to goodwill.

Crazy stuff.

Last night I decided I was going to just pick one thing to do a day and to do all the dishes every night. Hopefully just picking one chore to do will at least start the fight.
#80 of 121 Old 02-03-2009, 11:13 AM

A place to finally call home! I definitely need to join you ladies here, but I'll have to come back later because.....the water guy is coming to change the water filters and I have to clean the front hall and front room so he doesn't have a coronary when he comes in. :
#81 of 121 Old 02-03-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather+mike2005 View Post
Ok, what I think I'm going to try to do is make up a list of what I want to accomplish and post it here to keep me honest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsmama View Post
I never learned *how* to clean, and never developed the habit. Also, mess just doesn't stress me out that much. I think if it stressed me out more, then I'd be more clean

I have been thinking about how to form a good habit. I've heard that if you do something everyday for 21 days straight, it becomes a habit good or bad. I am going to test this theory by trying to clean (more deeply than just washing clothes and dishes and declaring the house clean ) everyday for 21 days. Anyone want to join me? I'm going to need all the support I can get. :
I like these ideas. I had my first paid home help come today for 3 hours and blitz the living room area. We chatted about why some people seem to have the knack and some don't, and what comes up time and time again is that if you missed the boat as a child, then it's REALLY HARD to get it as an adult. Regardless of if you come from an immaculate house or a dirty house. My mum is immaculate, but we never cleaned/ tidied good enough, so we weren't allowed to help around the home. I still don't exactly know what I should be doing, kwim!? So, I can blitz a room and make it nice, but I find it sooooo hard to stay on top of it. It's not natural to me to pick up and put away/ find places etc......

and I do like a little bit of clutter

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#82 of 121 Old 02-03-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather+mike2005 View Post
I'll join you simonsmama! I'm up for the challenge. I'm posting on a daily basis what I plan on doing that day as far as cleaning goes. I'm hoping it will keep me honest and actually get some cleaning done around here.

Can anyone recommend a good all purpose cleaner that is all natural and really works well?
I like Ms. Meyers. I also use a lot of baking soda and vinegar. I boied vinegar in a pot the other day to take out some white spots that weren't washing out. When that came out I used the wet rage with warm vinegar to clean the front of the fridge which had four years of dripped down what water stains that nothing would take off. It came mostly off. There is still a bit there.. but it doesn't stand out and scream at me anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
A place to finally call home! I definitely need to join you ladies here, but I'll have to come back later because.....the water guy is coming to change the water filters and I have to clean the front hall and front room so he doesn't have a coronary when he comes in. :
I knew there was a reason we seemed to get along so well. :P
#83 of 121 Old 02-03-2009, 04:00 PM

I have posted this before - but I just want to say it again.
IT has taken me YEARS of frustration to get to the sanity I have now --- and I could have saved myself all that heartache if I just done ONE THING. Found a place for everything!!!

When I see a cluttered space - it doesn't even bother me anymore - because I KNOW when I do get to it - I know where to put positively everything!!

If you can work towards this one goal -- you will feel so much better. To just be able to put your hands on things when you want them and also to be able to clean up a space by putting everything away where it belongs.

Oh -- Give me a Home -- Where all my things will not roam

Sing along everyone
::bro c:

LOL :
#84 of 121 Old 02-03-2009, 04:16 PM

Peppermint, how did you do it? That's one of my biggest problems...not having a place for everything. Its so overwhelming.

Shukr, I'm glad you liked the idea. I think its working, too. I've already got about 50% done. Knowing that I am going to follow up tonight with how much I accomplished is keeping me motivated.

aniT, thank you for the suggestions. I definitely want to try using vinegar.
#85 of 121 Old 02-03-2009, 04:24 PM

I am scared right now. :

Sooooooooooooooo very scared. We tiled the backsplash in the kitchen last week and I am just now realizing that the entire house is covered in tile dust. It seems like everything I dust just gets covered again in a few hours! What the heck am I going to do?! We heat with wood, so it's not getting blown through the furnace even.
#86 of 121 Old 02-03-2009, 05:27 PM

[quote=heather+mike2005;13121389]Peppermint, how did you do it? That's one of my biggest problems...not having a place for everything. Its so overwhelming.
quote]

well I have 2 major storage places. I had shelves built around all 3 sides of my garage and purchased a bunch of open colourful laundry baskets and closed Rubbermaid containers with lids - . .. and I have a furnace room in the basement with one very long wall. I purchased inexpensive free standing shelving that was easy to put together .... and there is also some storage space on the other side of the room.

There are approx 60 containers in each of those areas - so well over 100.

I used those 2 spaces to organize myself.

Every chance I got throughout the day I grabbed a laundry basket and filled it with everything I could find and sorted it into containers in either the garage or the furnace room. Keeping in mind that eventually that may not be their ultimate resting place (LOL).... but it was a perfect place to get organized.

So I would take the basket for the furnace room and it might have candles, elastic bands, pens, receipts. Sewing stuff, craft stuff, paint brushes, out of season clothing, gifts etc. and I sort them into bins I had labelled.

Same thing for the garage basket... so I would walk around the house and find as many things as I could that I would like in the garage baskets -- ie extension cords, shoe laces, light bulbs, umbrellas, camping stuff, bbq stuff, tools, etc etc

Took me months but eventually I went through my whole house and everything was in 1 of those 2 places. Most of it is still there – except I organized a spot in my office for office type things... but initially it was a bucket in my furnace room that held pens, rulers, felts etc.

I think one of the reasons this worked for me was because it created an instant place for everything. I could remove the stuff from a room that didn`t belong and pretty much take it out into an area that nobody was using. I numbered each basket or bucket and what I put in it ... so as the weeks went on and somebody asked where a measure tape was or shoe laces etc I could say it’s in bucket number 2 in the garage ... it was such a relief to me.

I now have a master list that is not quite complete – but it’s on a spread sheet and states where everything is in my house.... because I certainly don’t remember .. LOL .. so there is one on each floor and in my computer.!!

:
#87 of 121 Old 02-03-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
I am scared right now. :

Sooooooooooooooo very scared. We tiled the backsplash in the kitchen last week and I am just now realizing that the entire house is covered in tile dust. It seems like everything I dust just gets covered again in a few hours! What the heck am I going to do?! We heat with wood, so it's not getting blown through the furnace even.
VACUUM!!! I vacuum all kinds of things... the fruit flies in my kitchen. : My ceilings fans, the kitchen floor, (who needs a broom.) My dyson is my friend! And I have the dust attachment.

Now can anyone tell me how the hell to get the cobwebs out of the window above the stairs? I will post a pic so you can see what I mean.

http://picasaweb.google.com/anit.pic...y=apcSWRadtUM#

Now up there in the very tip top corner of the top window there are cobwebs.... with dead flies in them. And I see them EVERY FLIPPING TIME I WALK DOWN THE STAIRS!! I bought one of those dusting wands.. I bought the expensive one ($30!) cause it said it extended up to 14 feet. I figured Dh is 6'6" he should be able to get the cobwebs down with this. Well they lied.. or misrepresented the product. Up to 14' is including the height of the person holding it. : The stupid thing is only about 8 or 9 feet long. I should write the company and complain. So anyway.. needless to say.. I can't clean up there.. Oh and did I mention I am petrified of heights? No way no how am I getting up there.
#88 of 121 Old 02-03-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsmama View Post
Welcome Rach!

Congrats Maybaby2007! I grew up in a nasty home. It was really and truly disgusting. I don't ever let my house get that bad (well, maybe my floor have been pretty icky before, ) I never learned *how* to clean, and never developed the habit. Also, mess just doesn't stress me out that much. I think if it stressed me out more, then I'd be more clean

Thanks I hadn't heard of the 21 day thing until your post...but I know it's true! I'm good at cleaning...once the house is a mess. I'm not good at keeping it clean. I would wash the pile of dishes...and let them pile up again (one or two weeks...or whenever I ran out of clean dishes). When I took the "before" photos, I was done with that "system". The photo's remind me of what I don't want. I made it a priority to keep the kitchen tidy (at least that room) for one month. I did it...and I'm not going back! I still have to get into a routine for other areas of the house. My goal is to be able to tidy up the entire house in 30 min or less every day to keep the house looking fabulous. (Plus deep cleaning once/week, mopping and such).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayBaby2007 View Post
AFTER. This is what I usually wake up to now

Another view

Quote:
Above sink
AFTER. Not much different, but looks much more tidy and easier on the eyes.

Quote:
Top of fridge 1 (Those snow flakes were from Christmas of 2007--they stayed up all year long )

Top of fridge 2 (There was a cabinet of junk next to it that I didn't get a photo of).
AFTER. Very simple and I love it this way.

AFTER. I can actually fold laundry on the top....and then put. it. away. now!

AFTER. This is where the table used to be.

Quote:
Across the room from table (((shudders)))

View from top (That's 3 xmas trees someone gave me and a bunch more crap that's collected. It doesn't look as bad in the photo--it was piled high).
AFTER.

Quote:
Across from that is my desk (((shudders again)))
Still pretty much the same (Just more and/or different junk). I've tried tackling it. Just haven't been able to do it yet. :

And because I'm proud and want to brag ....here's the kitchen when you first walk in It used to have crap all over the floor (shopping bags, misc items, toys, fuzz bunnies, etc) and a heaping pile of laundry. My mom got kitchen for xmas and great gramma got the table--and it does wonders for the decor, lol. I don't technically have a "before" photo, but I'm sure there are glimpses of the mess in some photo's.

I will hopefully be painting/decorating soon. The sunflower stickers all over the kitchen make me sick--want to strip and paint the cabinets orange (and accent the room with maroon). Dining room will be a golden yellow with brown accent--an earthy room and my "health" room in feng shui. The center of my house (the center of my life) is ugly and cluttered. I think by fixing my house--especially the center of my house--I will better my life and free my life of clutter. I think I'm onto something here

Yeah. Ok. I'm done being all weird now.
#89 of 121 Old 02-03-2009, 08:53 PM

I'll try the vaccum. I think I am going to have to wash the walls and everything, including the drapes. Thanks!

aniT, could you (or your dh) use a ladder to get up higher with that wand?

MayBaby, those after pics are great!
#90 of 121 Old 02-03-2009, 09:24 PM

I couldn't.. cause as I said.. I am afraid of heights. DH probably could.. the problem is actually getting him to do it. He usually don't do anything I ask him until I get good and pissed off.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page