Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   The Mindful Home (http://www.mothering.com/forum/311-mindful-home/)
-   -   Moms of Messy Houses 2009 Tribe (http://www.mothering.com/forum/311-mindful-home/1034378-moms-messy-houses-2009-tribe.html)

simonsmama 01-29-2009 03:29 PM

We had a tribe like this a couple of years ago, but its been archived now. Just thought I'd throw it out there. I know there are more of us out there!

We can chat here about how messy we are, share tips and tricks, motivate each others, rant about the mess or whatever. If you're messy and you know it, then this is the tribe for you.

Come on, Mamas! Share the love :

AutumnMama 01-29-2009 03:37 PM

Um, me :

Right of Passage 01-29-2009 04:08 PM

I'm a messy mama There are dishes in my sink, the counter is cluttered with books, bags, and mail, there is laundry waiting to be done, and DS1's room looks like a toy tornado (natural consequences, he makes a mess he doesn't want to clean up he has no where to play). :

*ami* 01-29-2009 04:26 PM

I wish I could just accept the fact that I have a messy house, car, and life, but it drives me absolutely batty. I'm usually too overwhelmed to do anything about it, though, unless there is company on the way.

Amila 01-29-2009 04:27 PM

Me! I try so hard to keep it clean...but I'm a slob. Having company is the only thing that gets me to really clean completely...sigh.

Mama2Rio 01-29-2009 05:25 PM

I'm here! lets see.... mail all over, counters cluttered, life is just not in order... my books are the only thing that have order! lol! don't know why that is! i guess working in a book store for so long does that to you...

AngelBee 01-29-2009 05:34 PM

I'm in :

~bookcase~ 01-29-2009 07:10 PM

ok, well, i found this searching for solutions to my messy house with a larger family in a smallish house. i still can't navigate MDC very easily at all

do i have to be proud of the mess to join in

waiting2bemommy 01-29-2009 07:31 PM

I'm here. All three of us are living in one room in my MIL's house....and she is very messy, and i try to be clean but lean towards the dirty side. With a toddler who has made a career out of emptying drawers, i'm beginning to think it's a losing battle.

Collinsky 01-29-2009 07:36 PM

My house is a wreck. I think we should have a messy house contest... I'd like to feel like a winner.

kamilla626 01-29-2009 07:41 PM

I'm in! Anyone brave enough to post pictures?

devilish_fetish 01-29-2009 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ami* View Post
I wish I could just accept the fact that I have a messy house, car, and life, but it drives me absolutely batty. I'm usually too overwhelmed to do anything about it, though, unless there is company on the way.
That's me exactly. With 6 month old twins, one high needs, the other special needs, i have NO TIME for anything, much less cleaning. When i do have time, i usually want to SLEEP.

bscal 01-29-2009 07:49 PM

I'm in. My house is an absolute disaster. I'd have to send the kids and DH out of town for 2 weeks to get everything cleaned out the way I want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinsky View Post
My house is a wreck. I think we should have a messy house contest... I'd like to feel like a winner.
I think I'd win. I'm embarrassed to admit it. I can honestly look around and think that my house would be a good entry for Clean Sweep.

Beth

AngelBee 01-29-2009 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilla626 View Post
You trying to kill me???

sammysmaman 01-29-2009 10:18 PM

Yup, i'm in! DH is a slob! And, I just can't be motivated to clean up his messes. Consequently, even on the cleanest day, the house looks like a wreck. Ive learned to not let it get to me, but when people come over, I see it through their eyes, and I'm often embarrassed.

annettemarie 01-29-2009 10:20 PM

When we cleaned up and archived threads in FYT a few months ago, one of our goals was not to have FYT host threads that were already covered in existing fora. To that end, I'm going to move you all over to Mindful Home Management. You're still a tribe.

AngelBee 01-29-2009 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
When we cleaned up and archived threads in FYT a few months ago, one of our goals was not to have FYT host threads that were already covered in existing fora. To that end, I'm going to move you all over to Mindful Home Management. You're still a tribe.
Thanks

Ornery 01-29-2009 11:19 PM

I've got a messy house. I HATE cleaning and when things get out of control, I get totally overwhelmed. When I only had two children, I used to mop, sweep, etc. every day but since I had my third (now almost 3 yo) things have gone completely wacky.

I feel pretty good right now because I just cleaned both my bathrooms today. Woohoo! I'm giving myself a big pat on the back for that. Now I'm off to clean counters, etc. (Don't worry, my house will still be a mess)

aniT 01-29-2009 11:36 PM

Oh man, we have a tribe??

My house is trashed and it totally stresses me out. I think I would also be in the running to win. My bedroom has not been more than "straightened up" since before DS was born 2 years ago..We trip or kick stuff out of our way on the floor and I have piles and piles of laundry that need folded and put away.

I have finally thrown in the towel. Admitted defeat. I am hiring someone to help me keep it clean cause I can't. I grew up in a trashed house, I never learned to keep house, DH is a slob, DD2 is a slob, the little ones are constantly throwing stuff on the floor. Every time I clean the family room DS clears the toy table and throws everything on the floor. I constantly find clothes in the living room. No one puts anything away. Oh the list goes on and on. I wish I could afford a full time "Alice." I need an "Alice."

Collinsky 01-29-2009 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilla626 View Post
Knowing me, I'd try to make it look more presentable before taking pictures. What makes me really sad is that I don't take pictures or video of my kids very much, because I don't want the background mess on film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscal View Post

I think I'd win. I'm embarrassed to admit it. I can honestly look around and think that my house would be a good entry for Clean Sweep.

Beth
Me too. Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post

My house is trashed and it totally stresses me out. I think I would also be in the running to win. My bedroom has not been more than "straightened up" since before DS was born 2 years ago..We trip or kick stuff out of our way on the floor and I have piles and piles of laundry that need folded and put away.

I have finally thrown in the towel. Admitted defeat. I am hiring someone to help me keep it clean cause I can't. I grew up in a trashed house, I never learned to keep house, DH is a slob, DD2 is a slob, the little ones are constantly throwing stuff on the floor. Every time I clean the family room DS clears the toy table and throws everything on the floor. I constantly find clothes in the living room. No one puts anything away. Oh the list goes on and on. I wish I could afford a full time "Alice." I need an "Alice."
: to all of that. I'm hoping to have a bit of money in a few months to hire someone. First, someone to help me get the house in shape enough to hire someone to clean it. A housekeeper would be at a total loss right now.

Lemon Juice 01-29-2009 11:43 PM

I want an "Alice" too!!

Count me in...messy house, messy car, messy fridge! We try really hard to keep it clean. But usually it is the company that gets it really nice. I loved when the MW came each week...the house was SO nice all the time I have to keep it clean in certain areas tho b/c dp freaks out. So the playroom is a mess, boys room a mess, homeschool room is destroyed (giving birth at home means mama isn't watching us right now...lets DESTROY the homeschool room and toss out ALL of the glitter!!) Ugh.

aniT 01-29-2009 11:44 PM

I have someone coming to help me get it under control on Sat. and someone who is supposed to come in twice a month after that.

The Sat. person is a trade for DH fixing her computer. Have any skills to barter?

TEAK's Mom 01-30-2009 01:22 AM

Oh, I absolutely belong here. The rest of you can relax. The undisputed winner of the messy, cluttered, pit of a house award is yours truly. We are four people and two pugs in a just under 1000 square foot home. There are so many books that all of the shelves are overflowing; but, since the house was built in 1897, I try to think of the books as extra insulation. The kids can't really put their toys away because there is no "away."

However, I guarantee that I have the absolute cleanest bathroom counters. Mind you, this is only because the bathroom was kind of added as an afterthought with the advent of indoor plumbing and we have about six square inches of space that are also known as the rim of the sink.

Right of Passage 01-30-2009 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
You trying to kill me???
I thought the same thing!

Quote:
I have finally thrown in the towel. Admitted defeat. I wish I could afford a full time "Alice." I need an "Alice."
I want an Alice too. I tell DH whenever he ask if I need anything "A million dollar, a maid, and a butler"

Quote:
Knowing me, I'd try to make it look more presentable before taking pictures. What makes me really sad is that I don't take pictures or video of my kids very much, because I don't want the background mess on film.
me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Juice View Post
Count me in...messy house, messy car, messy fridge! We try really hard to keep it clean.
Messy car!! That's us too. We're a one car family, and it's so gross, all the snacks need to be vaccumed out, and just eww.

I cleaned my bathroom today! : It looks great, DS1 spilled bleach all over the floor when I was almost done. Ruined his pants and made the floor clean enough to preform surgery on. And the only reason it got cleaned is cause DS1, just about mastered potty learning except he's had diarrhea for a couple days went to use the potty and the floor (and clothes on said floor as well as; toilet, cabinet, stool, and scale) got splattered in poop. Kids can be great motivators :

Right of Passage 01-30-2009 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAK's Mom View Post
We are four people and two pugs in a just under 1000 square foot home.
That's how big out apartment is. About 150 of it is a storage closet that I have to clean about 4 times a year and get rid of junk (so I have a place to stash the new junk) It's so awkwardly set up I still don't know what to do with the place, so even when I get the motivation to do something I have no where to put everything in an organized way. :

Peppermint Leaf 01-30-2009 03:36 AM

Ya know -- its only dawned on me this week that now that I have created a place for positively everything in my house --- the clutter isn't bothering me as much any more ...... I now know that when I get around to cleaning it up - I have a place to put everything : Its taken me years to get here!!

I finally realized that alot of my clutter stress and not wanting to deal with it is because I simply didn't know what to do with it all!!

I have this huge master list with hundreds of items on it from garbage bags, to lightbulbs, to shoelaces to balloons .... no matter what it is I can find it on my list and know where to put it!!..... Its a wonderful wonderful feeling ...

Peppermint Leaf 01-30-2009 03:56 AM

However ... I have yet to reach the point that I am comfortable with unexpected drop in guests!!! .... always freaks me out!!

aniT 01-30-2009 04:53 AM

Quote:
I took some pictures of DS with is toy screw driver "working" on an opened computer. DH photo shopped the mess out. :

Peppermint Leaf 01-30-2009 05:01 AM

Quote:
I took some pictures of DS with is toy screw driver "working" on an opened computer. DH photo shopped the mess out. :

Ya know what -- you might just have something here !! ..

take pictures of your worst rooms -- photo shop out the mess ---- just so you can see how lovely and clear it could look!!! ....

it might help motivate you to work on the room because you have a pic of what it could be like:

(kind of the same concept as putting a picture of your thinner self on the fridge for motivation) .. LOL

simonsmama 01-30-2009 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse95 View Post
I've got a messy house. I HATE cleaning and when things get out of control, I get totally overwhelmed. When I only had two children, I used to mop, sweep, etc. every day but since I had my third (now almost 3 yo) things have gone completely wacky.
I kept a pretty clean house when I only had my DS and he was a just crawler. Now I have two ACTIVE toddlers.When I had my DD, my house just never recovered. My DD is SUPER spirited, which just makes life more interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shukr View Post
do i have to be proud of the mess to join in
Heck no! I'm not proud of the mess in anyway at all. I just wanted a nice little tribe where we could have encouragement, and support for mamas who have a hard time with cleaning/organizing, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amila View Post
Me! I try so hard to keep it clean...but I'm a slob. Having company is the only thing that gets me to really clean completely...sigh.
yeah......My house gets a good cleaning every other friday (that's when my mother in law comes over to be with the kids :

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ami* View Post
This is totally me. I want to accept that I'm a messy person, but it bothers me so much. Not enough to actually clean up though :

Quote:
I grew up in a trashed house, I never learned to keep house, DH is a slob, DD2 is a slob, the little ones are constantly throwing stuff on the floor. Every time I clean the family room DS clears the toy table and throws everything on the floor. I constantly find clothes in the living room. No one puts anything away. Oh the list goes on and on. I wish I could afford a full time "Alice." I need an "Alice."
I grew up in a horrible, dirty disgusting house that had no heat and was falling down. I don't even know how to clean somethings. I felt like such a dunce when I moved in w/ my DH and my MIL had to show me how to work a dishwasher (never had one growing up). I wonder if messiness is gene or trait that we inhereit?
Oh and....
We need like.....like... a timeshare maid, anyone interested

And I'm so proud of myself, I finally figured out how to multiquote! w00t