best dust mop for hardwood floors? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-16-2009, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my husband has refinished the original oak floors in our house, so i would like to purchase a dust mop for everyday use...i've had a plain old Swiffer in the past and have never been overly impressed with it (it always seemed like i was just moving the dirt all over the floor instead of picking it up with the Swiffer.) we'd like to keep these floors in good shape as long as possible, so i want a dust mop that is easy to use every day...i was hoping some of you mamas would have some advice as to which dust mop you've had the most luck with! TIA!

Adoring wife to my DH since 9/04, SAHM to biggrinbounce.gifDS(9/07)
stork-suprise.gif due 2/3/2011joy.gif
#2 of 9 Old 02-16-2009, 08:36 PM

I have one that is sortof like an oversized swiffer, rectangular head that has a removable/washable microfiber cover. Picks up doghair better than a traditional broom. I wouldn't recomend it for sand, it's more for light-weight crumbs/dust/hair.

Since I pick up a lot of dog hair with mine, I comb it over the trash can with a wide-toothed doggy comb and get as much hair off before I wash it.

Got it at WalMart, there are several brands. The better one is Rubbermaid (I think) and is sold in the back of the hardware section with "professional-style" cleaning supplies. The microfiber cover is much beefier (fluffier?) than the one sold in the regular cleaning aisle. You can also get replacement or spare covers.
#3 of 9 Old 02-16-2009, 08:42 PM

I have something like this OUr whole house is hardwood or linoleum and it works well. I got a hot pink one so my kids would think it would be cool to vacuum.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#4 of 9 Old 02-17-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneKnight View Post
The better one is Rubbermaid (I think) and is sold in the back of the hardware section with "professional-style" cleaning supplies. The microfiber cover is much beefier (fluffier?) than the one sold in the regular cleaning aisle. You can also get replacement or spare covers.
I don't typically go to Walmart but I think I will for this. I really need something that works!

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#5 of 9 Old 02-17-2009, 10:31 PM

I have a miele vacuum - a model that is designed primarily for hardwoods. It has another attachment with an air-driven rotating brush for the couple rugs we have. Anyway, I vacuum all the time. I think it is the most effective way to keep the little grit and dust up, which is what causes scratches. I also put protective felt pads on anything that might get pushed across the floor, and rarely drag anything across the floor. We also usually leave our shoes at the door. Also, it really helped to keep our dog outside all the time. If you have a pet inside, just make sure their claws are on rugs when they are excited.

Keep rugs down at the entrances and vacuum them regularly - on top and under. I have a couple braided ones that are small enough to go in the laundry. I wash them every couple months.

I used a swiffer on the hardwoods at a house we rented for a week, and didn't like it nearly as much as my system. I spent $600 or so on my vacuum, but it is still working extremely well 6 years later. I expect it will last another 5 years or more. Most vacuums are built to last 2-3 years.
#6 of 9 Old 02-18-2009, 12:47 AM

I use the Method system with the bamboo sweeper clothes and reusable microfiber cloth. The almond floor oil smells great, and a bottle lasts forever.
#7 of 9 Old 02-18-2009, 05:09 PM

Wool ones are excellent, but more expensive than cotton and synthetic and can be hard to find. The lanolin in the fibers and the static electricity really help to collect dust.

Ok, I take if back about being uber expensive and hard to find. Just found one source on line for $30:
http://www.sla-dust.com/
#8 of 9 Old 02-18-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiestgirl View Post
The almond floor oil smells great
A definite no no if someone has nut allergies.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#9 of 9 Old 02-20-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizlizzy View Post
Wool ones are excellent, but more expensive than cotton and synthetic and can be hard to find. The lanolin in the fibers and the static electricity really help to collect dust.

Ok, I take if back about being uber expensive and hard to find. Just found one source on line for $30:
http://www.sla-dust.com/
Interesting! I have baskets full of wool scraps that need to find a purpose. I wonder if wool fabric or loose felt would work?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page