Septic Field? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-21-2009, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are moving soon and one of the homes we are interested in purchasing has a septic field at the back of the yard. I have never heard of this before but after researching online it doesn't look like it is an unusual system to have at a residence.

Anyone have this sort of septic system? Thoughts?

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#2 of 16 Old 02-21-2009, 10:08 PM

I have had 4 houses with them - work great - make sure it's inspected and pumped before you buy...also make sure the capacity is enough for the # of people - the guy who pumps will know. Nothing goes down the kitchen drain - even if you have a disposal (little stuff is fine - but use a strainer in the drain).......and don't use bleach or other nasty chemicals - it ruins the friendly bacteria!!!

still learning
#3 of 16 Old 02-21-2009, 10:32 PM

They are the norm around here. We have always had one. Just some advice - if you are interested in the property have the septic inspected with a camera. My DH is a home inspector. He tells everyone to have it done with a camera. You will see if a problem could be developing. Whereas the dye or visual inspection will only tell you if a problem is happening.
#4 of 16 Old 02-21-2009, 11:12 PM

I grew up in a house with a septic field. It's the norm if you aren't on city sewer, as far as I know. We never had any issues with ours. IF there are issues though, it can be quite expensive to have it repaired.
#5 of 16 Old 02-21-2009, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

The house was built in 2006 and was lived in for a very short while, probably less than a year. It is a short sale and it looks like it has been empty for awhile. Is it OK for a septic field to not be used? Or does this mean that it is probably in great shape because it has barely been used?

Thanks for the info. so far ladies!

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#6 of 16 Old 02-23-2009, 12:35 PM

Have an inspection regardless of age of house/ residency etc.
We have a contract on a house and the septic completely failed at inspection, the job will be between $5000 - 30,000! The owners are having the work done, but thank God we had the inspection done.
An inspect. will run between $150-300 usually. Priceless for piece of mind.
Septic field are typical if you are not on city septic.
Also~ having pumped out every few years and maintained keeps you in great order.

Congrats on the prospect of a new home!!

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
#7 of 16 Old 02-23-2009, 01:29 PM

We moved into a house that had one and had sat empty for over a year. We lived in it 5 years and never had a problem. It's not a scary thing at all. Your grass will grow extra green over it

Once again, Chesapeake me!
#8 of 16 Old 02-23-2009, 01:38 PM

I think we must have this since we aren't connected to the city's sewer or water. We have a septic system and well water. No issues here.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#9 of 16 Old 02-23-2009, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
the only info I've ever been given about them is to not drive/park a vehicle over it (was on a hay ride at dd's school)

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#10 of 16 Old 02-23-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbeau View Post
The house was built in 2006 and was lived in for a very short while, probably less than a year. It is a short sale and it looks like it has been empty for awhile. Is it OK for a septic field to not be used? Or does this mean that it is probably in great shape because it has barely been used?

Thanks for the info. so far ladies!

Have it inspected with a camera. Even brand new systems can have problems because of bad installation for example. You really never know. Just last summer my DH was on an inspection and they found problems in a brand new one.
#11 of 16 Old 02-23-2009, 11:13 PM

if you are on a septic system, you have to have a septic field. usually teh lowest part of your lawn. most of the homes in our town are on septic.

annual cleaning of the septic system (after careful inspection...its a separate inspection btw) is usually sufficient unless the area is flooded...then there are more issues to be dealt w/.

there are some things that are actually good for teh septic. i have heard coffee grounds are.

keep away from the chemcially based "septic cleaners". they are horrible for septics.
#12 of 16 Old 02-24-2009, 11:31 AM

Depending on the setup, your kitchen sink may not even drain into the septic. That's the norm around here. Definitely (as all the PP's have stated) have it inspected AND emptied.
Do not drive over it and if it is squishy at all, that is a very bad sign. But given the age of the house, it should by all means be fine.

I probably shouldn't say anything for fear of jinxing it, but our septic system is over 30yrs old (age is actually unknown eeek!) and seems to be perfectly fine.

Limit your use of harsh chemicals for cleaning and I am always aware of overloading it suddenly so we try to limit it to one shower/bath and two loads of laundry max per day.

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#13 of 16 Old 02-24-2009, 12:40 PM

somthing you should know also is that with a septic system the ground where the drain field is you might not want to grow food to eat there... the sewage does get filtered through the ground but the plants will suck up the that and it totally depends on you whether your okay with that. People do use humanure in their food gardens so it isn't such a weird thing. If the septic system is built correctly there should be no problems whatso vere about the saftey of the vegetaion growing in that area, fine to walk, play and roll around on.

No big trees should be planted above a septic area and no permanate buildings should be put on top of them, partly becasue the weight of the building crushing pipes and partly because if there is a problem with the septic system and you would need it dug up to be worked on your looking at tearing down or moving a building.

Also, how close is the nearest sewer line? there may be a possibility that one day sewer will be run near you and the city will require you to hook into the sewer... if you are in the country this may never happen, if your pretty close there is a possibility, might be 10, 20, 50 years from now... then again it may be next year that the city is planning to do that. I would check to see if there are immediate plans for sewer to be run and the possible costs associated with hooking into it just so there are no surprises.
#14 of 16 Old 02-24-2009, 01:38 PM

Our area doesn't have sewer, so our septic field is in our backyard. We never pump it (have been here 5 1/2 years) and really, to me, if it is working properly there would be no reason to logically. We do put "septo bac" in it - healthy bacteria packets - every few months, and I quit trying the natural borax dishwashing method I was testing because it killed our grass! We use bleach sometimes, but not often, and if I am going to use anything harsh like that I try to do it about a week before we add more bacteria. I have not seen our neighbors have their tanks pumped since I've lived here, and at my in-laws cabin they built their own little septic tank/field thing and in 20+ years have never had it pumped. They opened it up to check on it 3 years ago and it was just fine. Another friend around here was telling me how they don't do anything with theirs and have never pumped in 15+ years.

So there is my unscientific advice/experience.

Tjej
#15 of 16 Old 02-25-2009, 10:15 AM

Good point about the trees!

I actually believe that the huge old silver maple is what keeps our septic functioning : they're like weeping willows - love water. Except this tree is pretty old. So I'm pretty sure when the tree goes, so will our septic.

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#16 of 16 Old 02-25-2009, 05:44 PM

We had one forever growing up. A few times it had trouble my dad was able to fix it. Of course you have to get the solids pumped out every so-often.
Made our grass green because it waters it all summer long. hehe

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page