Do you wear an apron? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 90 Old 02-26-2009, 12:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I fling a towel over my shoulder and just wear ratty shirts.

My dad put a towel over his shoulder when he washed dishes so I may have learned it from him. I do not generally put my hands low-enough to wipe on an apron and I like the towel plan.
#62 of 90 Old 02-26-2009, 05:44 PM

Sure do! I *always* end up with stuff on myself when cooking and baking and my aprons have saved many a shirt! I've made aprons for myself and friends using this pattern. I did mine in the first style.

Mama to my 3 wild things.

#63 of 90 Old 02-26-2009, 06:17 PM

I love aprons! I have one which is hand embroidered by my mil and another beautiful handmade linen one I recently got for myself. I'm currently sewing one for ds made from a vintage linen dishtowel with red stripes. So cute!!!! I wear mine mainly just for cooking but I think a gardening apron may be a good thing, too!
#64 of 90 Old 03-03-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeJune View Post
Honeydee, that is super cute! I love that.

These are the ones I bought:
http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction...on_id=14028865

It was $15 for the three of them, so I figure that $5 each was a good price. I'm still kicking myself for not picking up the ADORABLE vintage half-apron I saw at a flea market yesterday. So I tried to console myself by shopping on Etsy.
Super cute! And a great price, too! I only wearing an apron when I'm baking. H wears one just about every time he cooks - which is all the time.
#65 of 90 Old 03-05-2009, 02:05 AM

I adore aprons and have a small collection. I'm drooling over several of the vintage style on etsy.
#66 of 90 Old 03-05-2009, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misagoat View Post
i don't wear an apron but this thread is making me think i should!

I have an apron hanging in the pantry that i don't wear. I guess if i wore an apron i won't go out in jeans with grease stains.
omg me too!!!!!

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#67 of 90 Old 03-05-2009, 09:23 AM

I bought another great apron thanks to this thread!!!

http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction...on_id=14067640

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#68 of 90 Old 03-06-2009, 03:43 AM

A lot of the aprons on here are too cute to ruin with stains! Anyway, I have a decidedly less cute one that I wear basically whenever I'm in the house, since I unfortunately don't cook or clean in blocks, but rather a little here and a little there in between when DD wants me.
#69 of 90 Old 03-12-2009, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I usually wear an apron when washing dishes to soak up small splashes. It's more important if EnviroKid is helping, as his splashes tend to be bigger--sometimes they soak through our aprons and our clothes get wet anyway, but usually aprons are worthwhile. We also wear aprons when baking (flour seems to get on me no matter how careful I am) and when cooking staining foods like tomato sauce or oily stuff.

EnviroDaddy and I have identical unisex striped canvas aprons. I also have a flowery apron with pink pockets that reverses to pink with flowery pockets and has an adjustable neck strap; I really like that one. EnviroKid has THREE aprons: one from Home Depot, one with cars on it, and one that was EnviroDaddy's as a child and says "I love Mommy and Mommy loves me" all over it.

When we're working in the church kitchen, there's a whole drawer full of aprons to choose from. None of them are kid-sized, but EnviroKid likes to wear a flowery ruffly half-apron tied under his armpits. I like to wear the one that says, "Have you hugged an Episcopalian today?" for the fringe benefits.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#70 of 90 Old 03-12-2009, 05:30 PM

this one I love

http://www.pier1.com/Catalog/Dining/...9/Default.aspx
#71 of 90 Old 03-15-2009, 03:36 AM

ah, look at me.. thread killer.
#72 of 90 Old 03-15-2009, 03:43 AM

Does anyone else wear an apron just because they're cute... :

I almost never get anything on myself throughout the day so it's not really functional. I just feel good wearing it. Kind of like when I'm cleaning the house, but have on amazing underwear. It makes me feel great.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#73 of 90 Old 03-16-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post
Does anyone else wear an apron just because they're cute... :

I almost never get anything on myself throughout the day so it's not really functional. I just feel good wearing it. Kind of like when I'm cleaning the house, but have on amazing underwear. It makes me feel great.
This is actually why I'm now searching for apron fabric. Plus, DH takes notice when I 'dress up.'
#74 of 90 Old 03-20-2009, 04:22 AM

lol, there's definitely a cuteness aspect to it I have some lovely rose fabric I want to make an apron with, I just haven't dared cut it yet lol

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#75 of 90 Old 03-20-2009, 11:42 AM

I don't wear one as of yet. I would like to and I have purchased several patterns to make them. I did make both of my daughters a cute apron and they love them and wear them all the time.
#76 of 90 Old 03-20-2009, 12:41 PM

I am in the midst of sewing up 8 little girl aprons as party favors for DD's birthday party this weekend. My DD is VERY excited about them and loves the idea!

I made a basic shape and used coordinating fabric to create ties. DD chose a light red fabric with lots of tiny light cream-colored flowers out of my stash. Luckily, it was just enough to get all 8 aprons cut. That particular fabric is from England (via a friend of a friend) and I have no way of getting more, so I lined them with unbleached muslin and used the same muslin to create the ties. It is the perfect combination, according to DD. Thank goodness!

P.S. The party theme, as determined by DD (age 7), is a "Mix & Match Cooking and Game Party". The aprons will be given out near the beginning of the party and will protect the girls "mismatched outfits" from their lunch preparations.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#77 of 90 Old 03-21-2009, 12:13 PM

I love wearing an apron. It certainly have saved quite a few shirts
I also wear one while hanging laundry on the line. Stuff the pockets full of pins and it is so much easier to reach in my pockets rather than try to keep the bag near.

I realy want to make some new ones. I just bought a sweing machine. Now to find a fun pattern!

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
#78 of 90 Old 03-21-2009, 05:20 PM

Hi,
I started wearing an apron recently and it's so handy. My clothes stay out of stains. I wipe my baby's nose and mouth sometimes when I don't have time to grab tissue. It's a great idea.
#79 of 90 Old 03-22-2009, 07:40 AM

I have one that I bought at the store and Im stalking websites to find some patterns I like. Id love to make several more: A ankle length one for when Im baking/cooking a lot, a bib like one for when Im doing just dinner and a half one for when Im cleaning/just around the house.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#80 of 90 Old 03-22-2009, 08:48 AM

I'm loving this thread! I'm looking for an apron like this Lady Madonna since I'm b'feeding for the awhile yet and like the easy access http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=22233429 but that's the only seller I can find and I'm not crazy about the fabric choices. Has anyone seen this style somewhere else, or a pattern for it? Not that I can sew, but I looked at McCalls and Buttericks and could only find bib or smock types.

LisainCal==I LOVE that rose apron! If I can't find a flow-y Lady Madonna style, I'm going to have to splurge and buy that.
#81 of 90 Old 03-24-2009, 09:14 PM

The lady madonna apron can be done in any of the fabrics the etsy seller has. the woman who makes them is super nice (I've emailed her on several occasions) - you may want to try to contact her and see what she can do to accomodate you!
#82 of 90 Old 03-24-2009, 09:27 PM

I just bought an apron today at the health food store! It isn't quite as cute as the one I saw in the peir 1 catalog (linked earlier), but it is pretty cute still.. It is very colorful with wide pleats in the skirt and two pockets.. the chest part reminds me of the 50s women's aprons.. they had another solid rose color one with three tiers on the skirt that I also liked really well but I though the chest was a bit too narrow looking on my frame, so I put it back.. will look great on someone though! Very feminine. Dp is convinced feminine aprons will help with our ttc activities.
#83 of 90 Old 01-25-2010, 06:07 PM

I worked as a cook/chef at an organic grocery store in grad school, and we had to wear an apron with a chef's jacket over it, closed toe shoes, and hat every day for safety reasons. That got me in the habit of always wearing an apron with a dishtowel tucked in the belt while cooking. And shoes. For a long time I also needed to wear a hat, too.

Aprons are cute, but my main motivation is keeping my clothes clean and preventing burns. An apron does provide you with some protection from burns. Chef's jackets are even better but I think I'd feel a little silly wearing one at home.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#84 of 90 Old 01-25-2010, 07:31 PM

Not usually. But I think they're really cute.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#85 of 90 Old 01-25-2010, 08:02 PM

I do when I cook and sometimes when I clean. My favorite is a double sided that I made for myself. The pattern called for hemming, but I just cut another piece and turned & topstitched it. I find that oily splatters would find their way through a single layer. I need to make a few more.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#86 of 90 Old 01-26-2010, 01:47 AM

Ok, I officially need to get some cute aprons. I always end up covered in flour on baking days, but somehow I never thought to wear an apron! I bet the boy would appreciate it too .

lady.gif Kaitlyn,partners.gif Sweetheart To My Prince Charming reading.gif & Mama To My Fur-baby flowerkitty.gif
#87 of 90 Old 01-26-2010, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Yay, my thread came back up!

I got a new half-apron for Christmas, from my stepdad. It's handmade by an Amish lady, and it's turquoise and white checks with a pocket. It is soooo cute. My stepdad knows me so well!
#88 of 90 Old 01-26-2010, 06:51 PM

I try to remember to wear mine when I'm cooking but should wear one more often. I have a smock-style one that covers everything and has giganto pockets. You've all inspired me to find a free pattern online and get some fabric at the thrift store on payday next week so I can make a couple more to wear more often. Goodness knows I need to!

Kali (pka Michelle) ~ crunchy wife to Cory (09/06) ~ Mama to H (03/90) & I (06/92)--bothnocirc.gifbf.jpg BF for 35 consecutive months ~ angel1.gif x 4

#89 of 90 Old 01-26-2010, 08:03 PM

I was just looking at free apron patterns and it suddenly dawned on me--repurpose a button-up shirt or blouse! Here's the plan that's going through my head:
1. Find an inexpensive button up shirt at a thrift store (or your closet), a size or two larger than I normally wear. It could be men's or women's.
2. Remove the collar.
3. Carefully remove the sleeves so they can be used as pockets. Do any necessary stitching/trim around arm holes to avoid fraying.
3. Cut the sleeves open to make into pockets. Put the pocket(s) on the BACK side of the shirt (at a height that works best).
4. Wear the "shirt" backwards and just button the top or second button to keep it on. Or make ties if it's hard to fasten the button behind oneself.

It could be a very simple shirt with no added trims or could be made from a pretty women's blouse with added lace or whatever else. This could be made even without a sewing machine. I can't wait to make one! .

Kali (pka Michelle) ~ crunchy wife to Cory (09/06) ~ Mama to H (03/90) & I (06/92)--bothnocirc.gifbf.jpg BF for 35 consecutive months ~ angel1.gif x 4

#90 of 90 Old 01-27-2010, 01:18 AM

Those aprons are all so cute!!! I totally need an apron now!

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page