clean up after stomach virus? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-02-2009, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
x-posted

I can find a million websites and threads here about diagnosing, transmission, etc. of stomach viruses but NO info on the best cleaning procedures for reducing risk of infecting others who share the space with the sick person.

DH had a vomitting/diarrhea thing for a few days. We kept him quarantined in one bedroom and bathroom but how do we appropriately clean those places now?

Thanks!
#2 of 10 Old 03-02-2009, 07:36 PM

I would wash all linens on HOT. If they're already light colored, you may consider a touch of bleach.

I would vacuum, if you have carpet, or mop with a mild bleach solution. I would also wipe down all the surfaces of the bathroom (and door handles and such) with a mild bleach solution.

You only need a 1% bleach solution to kill bacteria effectively on non porous surfaces. So 2 ounces of bleach to one gallon of water is more than enough.

He may also want to replace his toothbrush.
#3 of 10 Old 03-02-2009, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

Since it's 99% a virus and not a bacteria, will a 1% solution be adequate? I thought I had read a 10% solution years ago (but now I can't find that kind of info) for stuff like norovirus.

Good idea on the toothbrush! I'll mention it to him. Should he wait until he's 24 hours past the diarrhea (he's still got that today)?
#4 of 10 Old 03-02-2009, 08:45 PM

There is nothing wrong with a 10% solution. Medical people use 10% to wipe up things that are grossly contaminated (like visible blood, inside sinks, etc) and 1% on ordinary surfaces. Chlorine is a gas, so as long as you use it on a non-porous surface, once it dries it's gone. You wouldn't want to use 10% all the time, but after something major, it's not a bad idea.
#5 of 10 Old 03-04-2009, 08:28 PM

I usually just wipe everything down with a vinegar soaked washcloth. Handles, taps, light switches and doorknobs. Then I air out the bedroom and wash the sheets in cold like I normally would.

Once someone in the house shows signs of being sick everyone has already been exposed to the germs. Either you get sick or you don't. No sense being too overly worried about it. These cleaning product companies have been making money for almost a century by convincing people they need to use these chemical cocktails in order to be/stay healthy. And it's just not true.
#6 of 10 Old 03-04-2009, 09:35 PM

the virus can only live on surfaces for a caertain amount of time. i'm not a big fan of chemicals at all but we had the flu here and i have been a lysol spraying machine.
doorknobs,lightswitches,toilets,sinks,phones,remot es all get sanitized. wash all your linens as pp said in hot water along with underwear from the sick period, keep em seperate from the rest of the families.
then make sure you run a bleach cycle of just hot water and bleach to clean your washer. last thing you want is to dry your face with a towel that got rotovirus from the washer ...
#7 of 10 Old 03-06-2009, 04:57 AM

I like to use hydrogen peroxide for serious disinfection. It's cheap and non-toxic and really kills stuff. Use on all doorknobs, light switches, phones, faucets, sinks, toilets (inside and out). For clothing and bedding, drying on hot (after washing) will help kill germies.

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

#8 of 10 Old 03-06-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saysumthing View Post
Chlorine is a gas, so as long as you use it on a non-porous surface, once it dries it's gone.
Chlorine is a gas at room temperature yes, but bleach is not Chlorine, it just contains the element Chlorine - this is vastly different. Bleach is Sodium Hypochlorite or HOCl - it is a completely different chemical compound from Chlorine and it is not a gas at room temperature (or you wouldn't be able to keep it in a bottle in your closet).

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#9 of 10 Old 03-06-2009, 01:31 PM

Note too that with stomach bugs like norovirus, the sick person is contagious for 3 days after symptoms subside. I read this on WebMD or one of those sites last year when we were all sick. Isn't that lovely - I completely thought that once they stop barfing and feeling nauseous it's over.

Hope you all stay in the clear!
#10 of 10 Old 03-08-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saysumthing View Post
I would wash all linens on HOT. If they're already light colored, you may consider a touch of bleach.

I would vacuum, if you have carpet, or mop with a mild bleach solution. I would also wipe down all the surfaces of the bathroom (and door handles and such) with a mild bleach solution.

You only need a 1% bleach solution to kill bacteria effectively on non porous surfaces. So 2 ounces of bleach to one gallon of water is more than enough.

He may also want to replace his toothbrush.
:

I would also open some windows in the house, even if it is cold, just to get some fresh air in. I always do that after any illness.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page