Organic crib bedding & mattress? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-04-2009, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cross posted in Life with a Babe forum.

We co-sleep until baby is around 1 yr. But I still set up a crib for those times when I need baby to be safe away from me--like when I'm taking a shower, or they are napping at the crawling age and I don't want them falling off the bed, etc. Plus then it's there for when they are older, etc.

I want to set up a totally organic/natural crib this time around. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Affordable crib mattress?

Organic crib sheets are easy to find. What kind of waterproof mattress pad would you recommend? Wool I'm assuming? Which one?

Most bumpers are filled with polyester--which would off-gass (unless you pay over $100 for them)--and yes,I know that many people don't use bumpers, but we still do (both of my kids nearly broke arms and legs through the slats when I removed the bumper pads). Any natural filled ones out there?

I think that's all! Thanks

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#2 of 4 Old 03-06-2009, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! Hope I can be of some help!

Naturepedic is a great brand that has a wide variety of organic cotton mattresses, pads etc. They have some waterproof options but also some non-waterproof too.

Depends on your budget of course! I specialize in this very topic and I could write all day about it :-)

Some brands that I that would work great for you:
Amenity
Q Collection Junior
Naturepedic
Pacific Rim (can get completely unfinished)
A Natural Home
Pixel Organics
Argington (bedding)
Holy Lamb Organics

I would love to work with you to make it affordable and easy!

Hope that helps,
Alina Anderson
#3 of 4 Old 03-06-2009, 07:08 PM

I don't know what your budget is but Shepherd's Dream has organic wool baby bedding. Wool is wonderful to sleep on. http://www.shepherdsdream.com/c-7-baby-bedding.aspx They don't have bumpers though.

I made my own bumpers. Just to let you know, they are pretty easy. You can use organic cotton or wool batting which is pretty easy to find if you know where to look.

Co-creator, Joyful Wife, and Grateful Mama to angel3.gifenergy.gifand sleepytime.gif
#4 of 4 Old 06-17-2011, 11:35 AM

I'm a soon-to-be new mom, so I have not used this product yet.

I was looking for an affordable organic crib mattresses and the best one I have found is at organicgrace.com. I have not even ordered from them yet, but I have been very impressed with their customer service. I wrote to them explaining that as a first time mom without a ton of money, I  was curious how necessary a dust mite cover would be (which they said was unnecessary unless I had a history of severe allergies or asthma in my family) and they told me to write back with any other questions I had. Their lowest priced mattress is $259 with a 10 year warranty. 

Although I can't afford this mattress, I have a family member who would like to buy it for us. Another idea is to have someone who hosts your baby shower suggest a "crib" group buying party. The group can all pitch in some money to help and order all the essentials for your crib.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page