residue on dishes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-16-2009, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am in the midst of finding how to effectively treat my water in my new house. I am finding that when I do dishes, nearly all of my dishes dry w/ a residue on them...glasses look hazy and the like.

I've used the Biokleen, Dr. Bronner's, and the EArth Friendly products Lavender dish soap, and all seem to produce similar effects. I am also rinsing my dishes in water laden w/ white vinegar.

I am thinking that some of the residue will be alleviated by drying the dishes immediately (but I never have time to actually do that!). But what about water bottles and things that are harder to get inside of???

Any suggestions as to what I can do further?
#2 of 11 Old 03-16-2009, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to Mindful Home Management

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#3 of 11 Old 03-17-2009, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

After more experimenting, I think I have found that the vinegar is creating the residue.

Any ideas why? Weird chemical reactions?
#4 of 11 Old 03-17-2009, 11:20 AM

I'm having the same issue, but I don't use vinegar and it's not all of my glasses. Some of my glasses look hazy and some don't. I use ecover tablets. Sometimes I use a natural rinse aid that's like jetdry, but usually I don't. I don't see a difference when I use it or not.

I hope someone knows the answer.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#5 of 11 Old 03-17-2009, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

I am hand washing my dishes.

It sounds like you are not.

I'm interested to know what people do, either way!
#6 of 11 Old 03-19-2009, 07:50 PM

For machine washing, I definitely see a difference between using vinegar as a rinse agent or not using it (instead of Jet Dry). Without it, my glasses come out noticeably hazy.

If you're handwashing them, what is your rinse method? Sounds like you're rinsing in standing water? Does the very first dish come out as cloudy as the very last one? I would honestly suspect redepositing from rinsing in soapy rinse water. If you take one of your clean, dry, hazy dishes and run it under hot water, what happens to the haze? Is it still there when it dries again? If you run your finger across it, do you disturb the haze, or is it truly dried on?

And I'll just point out something in favor of laziness... air dried dishes have less bacterial contamination than towel dried.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#7 of 11 Old 03-19-2009, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

I'm super into air drying out of sheer laziness

I have tried both standing and hot rinsing. The standing is when I use the vinegar, and yes, the first is as hazy as the last...but if I use standing hot water, alone, w/o vinegar, then there seems to be no issue.

The haze stays after hot water rinse and dried on, and it's nearly oily, but not entirely. It's unlike any other situation I've ever witnessed, honestly. This iron-y water (and how to handle/deal with it) has stumped me.

We are planning to treat the water, whether it be simply to get the iron out or more...as soon as we can get a concise idea of our problem/complaints.
#8 of 11 Old 03-20-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianthistle View Post
The haze stays after hot water rinse and dried on, and it's nearly oily, but not entirely. It's unlike any other situation I've ever witnessed, honestly. This iron-y water (and how to handle/deal with it) has stumped me.
That's exactly the kind of haze we were getting on our dishes in the dishwasher. It feels kind of greasy, it doesn't rinse off, etc. Very strange, because adding the vinegar rinse removed that haze completely.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#9 of 11 Old 03-21-2009, 12:17 AM

;
#10 of 11 Old 03-21-2009, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

interesting..........
I'm into experimenting, honestly

I would, rather, like my water problem remedied, completely!
#11 of 11 Old 01-06-2012, 03:09 PM

there is a new solution to cloudy, hazy dishes that don't look clean after the dishwasher.  www.CitriClean.net

I promise it works!  Pays for itself because you add it with your detergent, but you use LESS detergent.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page