How often do you vacuum? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How often do you vacuum?
Everyday or most days 48 22.02%
About every other day 27 12.39%
Twice a week 34 15.60%
Once a week 55 25.23%
Every 2 weeks 23 10.55%
Once a month 12 5.50%
Less than once a month 11 5.05%
Other 8 3.67%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 77 Old 04-01-2009, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Roomba vacuums every morning while we go out and have fun. I have a tile floor and its amazing all the stuff it picks up every day! I have a small dog and toddler. Usually once a week I get the reg vacuum out. I love my Roomba :
#62 of 77 Old 04-01-2009, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
every other day but in reality it's at least 4 or 5 days a week. we have carpets throughout and a cat and there are 4 females with long hair. And two of us are 4 or under.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#63 of 77 Old 04-01-2009, 07:22 PM

I voted "other" because this is one thing I do *not* have scheduled!

Our Roomba's battery died. When it was up and running, I set it loose in the living room (carpet) once a week and the kitchen (tile) once a week and our master bedroom (carpet) once every other week and the foyer (tile) whenever necessary. (In addition, our Scooba - robot that picks up, mops, squeegees - worked the kitchen and foyer once a week, so the kitchen floor was cleaned the most frequently.) Those were scheduled in my task list. When this was in effect, we had no pets, one school-age child, DH working out of the home, and me out of the home for various things.

As for the regular vacuum, hmmm... no set schedule. I vacuum whenever the mood strikes and the floor is clear enough to do so. This can be several times a week or a couple months can pass. Our carpet is very forgiving and we leave our shoes at the door and only eat in the kitchen. DD goes through messy phases and she just turned 8 (messy phase, btw). DH started working from home once a week last Fall. I am home more now, too. Plus, we just got a new B&W long-haired kitten 2.5 weeks ago. All this is quickly adding up to more vacuuming!!!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#64 of 77 Old 04-02-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyflakes View Post
What is a central vac?
A vaccum with a huge cannister in the garage and the tubing runs through the walls in the house. You can plug the hose into many outlets throughout the house to vaccum. No canister to lug around.

Am I the only one here that sweeps large area rugs with a broom?
#65 of 77 Old 04-02-2009, 12:38 PM

I voted everyday.

I vacuum the downstairs (which is all hardwood and tile) including our master bedroom everyday. The upstairs of our house (guest bedrooms) is all carpet with the exception of the two bathrooms up there so that usually gets vacuumed every other day because we are seldom up there. If we have guests staying I vacuum up there everyday.

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#66 of 77 Old 04-02-2009, 04:59 PM

Every other day or more often. I've got 3 kids and a carpeted dining room. It's a terrible combination.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#67 of 77 Old 04-02-2009, 05:07 PM

We have two cats and a dog. When I wasn't working, I vacuumed the main living areas every day and bedrooms once a week, but now that I am I really don't have the time or inclination for that -- so main living areas get done twice a week and bedrooms once. We have carpet except for the bathrooms and kitchen.

babyf.gif

#68 of 77 Old 04-02-2009, 05:16 PM

yikes - 4 story house, 2 dogs, 1 cat, 1 toddler, about 75%carpet and area rugs. I vacuum once a week but it could easily be done every day....if I could lug the vacuum up all those stairs....

Mother to one wonderful 5 year old son and another on the way, caretaker of dogs, cats, chickens and worms. EDD 12/11/2011

#69 of 77 Old 04-05-2009, 01:51 AM

Carpet, 3 kids, no pets. I only vaccuum when food gets spilled or it looks like it needs it.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#70 of 77 Old 04-05-2009, 03:31 AM

I do the playroom rug every other day or so because I watch babies and one puts everything in her mouth, so I need to vacuum the night before she comes after my mess makers...errr... dds go to sleep.

We won't discuss how often I vacuum the living room area rug :

We have tile and those are the only 2 rugs we have. I sweep a couple of times a day and mop a few times a week.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#71 of 77 Old 04-05-2009, 07:37 AM

I don't vacuum, don't even own one. However, I have all linoleum floors and no rugs. So, no reason to vacuum. I do, however, try to sweep daily if not every other day.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#72 of 77 Old 04-06-2009, 09:11 PM

I vacuum around the dining room table a couple of times a day, and in the entryway. I do in-home childcare and have up to five children (under the age of four) eating at my table at one time--and the dining area is carpeted. With brand new carpet. I vacuum that part of the house a lot. The rest of the house gets vacuumed maybe once a week.

I like vacuuming--one of my favorite chores. But I don't like the picking up and putting away part that is supposed to precede the vacuuming. So a lot of the time I will just pick everything up and throw it on the couch or wherever, and then vacuum. Makes me feel good. Actually I didn't like vacuuming all that much till I got the vacuum I have now, which works really well and is bagless, so I get to dump out the little container afterwards and see how much dirt I got out of the carpets. Very satisfying for some reason.
#73 of 77 Old 04-06-2009, 09:14 PM

Getting the big vacuum out and using the attachments to vacuum the dust that collects around the TV equipment and other electronics I try to do weekly, but sometimes I go two weeks, but it's gets awful if I do that. I have one of those shark cordless small vacs and I love that thing. i can do the whole house (small house with carpeting) in 5 or 10 minutes, and I do so daily, sometimes a couple times a day depending on how much food my DD drops on the floor.
#74 of 77 Old 04-06-2009, 10:12 PM

Generally once a week - though I think twice would be much better. Hard when DD *hates* the vacuum!

We don't have any carpet (just a couple of rugs) so I can supplement with just sweeping/dust mopping, but I do need to use the vacuum to get everything up more efficiently. Dark hardwood floors show every bit of dust and dirt....which is both good and bad The dust mop just doesn't get everything up the way the vacuum does!

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#75 of 77 Old 04-06-2009, 10:23 PM

I vacuum each room once a week or as needed. But it seems like I rarely do each room on the same day so it feel like I'm vacuuming everyday.
#76 of 77 Old 04-06-2009, 11:13 PM

i only have an area rug downstairs (DON"T buy a black area rug--it is a crumb MAGNET , and that gets vacuumed once a week. ideally it'd be every other day or so, but we are hardly even home enough to get the dishes and laundry done

other than that, the only carpet is in the bedrooms--and that gets vacuumed every two-weeks-ish. again....if we were home more.... :

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#77 of 77 Old 04-08-2009, 03:07 PM

I voted twice a week, that is for the living room. We have 3 cats, don't wear shoes in the house...
For our bedrooms I only vacuum once or twice a month maybe? I tend to forget those rooms when I clean

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page