Moving/Selling/Packing Tribe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-31-2009, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I looked in Mindful Home Management for tips on packing/selling/showing/moving, and related topics and found a few threads, but was wondering if there's a tribe for support in this stressful, sometimes overwhelming endeavor.

DH and I are working hard to get our house ready to put on the market next month. We have lots of big and little fix-it projects, painting, de-cluttering, packing, figuring out how to best stage the house, and keep it show-ready with a 9 month- and five year-old.

Is there such a thread? If not, anyone want to join me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 04-01-2009, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

I know some of you mamas must be in the process of moving...
Let's commiserate and share any great ideas we've come across.

I'm on about a 4 week timeline. Our agent wants to list the house in two weeks, but there's no way we'll be able to get everything done by then. DH and I are shooting for the end of April.

One problem I'm having is getting anything done w/ my 9 month old dd tagging along. She really wants to be held/worn all the time and there are some things I can't do while I'm wearing her. For example, I need to paint the trim and doors upstairs and put shelves in all the closets. I need to arrange for my mom or sister to come over and hang out with the kids so I can get some projects done!

On the plus side, I've committed to doing one thing everyday to de-clutter, pack or 'stage'. I've started collecting boxes and will be putting stuff away on a regular basis. The benefit is I'll have less to pack when we actually move.

What are your struggles and baby steps toward success?
#3 of 10 Old 04-01-2009, 06:55 PM

We've moved six times in the last eight years. I wish I could say I've perfected the art, but I haven't. I just had a baby 3 months ago and we moved into our most recent house about 3 months before that. And we went through a hurricane in there, too. :

Nimbus, get yourself a mother's helper. ASAP. Mom, sister, neighborhood teenager, maybe all three! And check into storage spaces; a lot of them run summer specials starting in May or June, sometimes for pay for 2 months, get the 3rd month free, etc. At the end of the rental term you might even decide you don't want or need those things anymore, and if you do, get rid of 'em, quick! I didn't, and I'm still sifting through boxes and stacks and bins of who-knows-what.

The only other bit of advice I have is this: once you get your house clean and show-ready, you have to keep it that way, which means getting up every day when it's on the market and giving it a quick once-over. I also learned the hard way to double-check before leaving the house for a showing. DD1 had unrolled all the toilet paper in the master bath, left the toilet seat up and the trash can upside down. I didn't realize it til after we got back. She got past me somehow while I was rushing around straightening. So load up dogs, cats, kids, whoever is leaving for the showing, in the car and THEN walk the house again.

Sorry if I sound bossy. I've just BTDT too many times, and usually with two weeks' notice (2 weeks from "We're moving" to "Report to your new location"). Since we've become homeowners that usually means DH has to go ahead of us.

Good luck y'all. HTH!
#4 of 10 Old 04-07-2009, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like I'm my own tribe! Maybe I'll forge ahead and someone will join in...

So, over the weekend I worked on caulking and patching nail holes in the trim upstairs in an effort to get it ready to paint. I painted the trim inside the master bedroom closet and installed a wire shelving system. That was my big success. My dh finished putting the plywood roofing on the carport and rolled out almost all the felt paper.

The downside is we keep adding more things to our list!
#5 of 10 Old 04-08-2009, 05:03 PM

I will move this to MHM since it really belongs there you might find more support there.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#6 of 10 Old 04-08-2009, 09:25 PM

We did this last year.
-We spent a lot of time getting rid of stuff. Dumping it any way we could. We got a dumpster and literally threw a lot because goodwill was no longer accepting anything. Freecycle, craigslist
-We put a fair amount in self storage. I had closed a store and had leftover inventory. Plus it was a great place for big odd things and extra toys.
-I organized a lot.
-Made our basement look "neat" just by stacking things well. Then I was able to go through it over time even while house was on the market.
-I only allowed the kids & DH the use of one bathroom
-We required 24 hours notice to show. We had a farm and lived rurally so showings often were with even more notice.
-Made a list or projects we "had" to have done before going on the market and a list of stuff we could do as we went
-Spent a lot of late nights cleaning while the kids were asleep.
-I hired a cleaning lady who was worth her weight in gold. She would come at a moments notice before a showing so I could deal with clutter and she could deal with dirt. She also helped up clean up as we moved out. To be honest we would have never done it without her.
-Packed anything and everything we did not need for a while. Like all the winter stuff as things warmed up got packed away. Packed extra kitchen stuff.
-Kept paper plates etc on hand so if we had a showing we would use those before hand so I had less in the sink to deal with.
-I use slip covers on my sofa so would put on the clean nice one after the kids and dogs were outside, right before we left the house.
-I use bathroom rugs I could flip over and have them look clean
-I always bought fresh flowers before a showing

To be honest there came a point where I had to just pack and move even the stuff we did not want. I am still de cluttering and we moved 3 months ago.
#7 of 10 Old 04-10-2009, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies and suggestions from those who have btdt! Any other pearls of wisdom from experienced movers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2annika View Post
... get yourself a mother's helper. ASAP. Mom, sister, neighborhood teenager, maybe all three! And check into storage spaces; a lot of them run summer specials starting in May or June, sometimes for pay for 2 months, get the 3rd month free, etc.
My mom is coming over every Wednesday morning so I can work (for my employer.) I think I'll soon have to shift some of that time to house projects. We're trying to line up help with the kids for the next three weekends so we can get stuff done.

Thanks for the tip on storage rentals. I'll look into the local places for specials. Three months will probably be exactly what we need. I hope!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyem View Post
-I organized a lot.
-Made our basement look "neat" just by stacking things well. Then I was able to go through it over time even while house was on the market.
-I only allowed the kids & DH the use of one bathroom
-I hired a cleaning lady who was worth her weight in gold.
-Packed anything and everything we did not need for a while. Like all the winter stuff as things warmed up got packed away. Packed extra kitchen stuff.
-Kept paper plates etc on hand so if we had a showing we would use those before hand so I had less in the sink to deal with.
-I always bought fresh flowers before a showing
*I'm trying to tackle one organizing project and spend time on one fix-it project each day. Today, I'm cleaning up our mantle and window sills in the front room (they're deep and have candles/plants in them) and I'm hoping to start painting some trim upstairs.
*I'm having my dad collect copy paper boxes so we can use them for general packing and organizing the basement. I figure if there are things we leave down there, it would look best if everything's in like boxes.
*Wish I could hire a cleaning lady! It might be worth the extra expense for the time the house is on the market. I'll try to talk my dh into that!
*I'm working on packing extra kitchen stuff and hope to get to our winter things soon. The list is so long....
*Paper plates are a great idea. I wouldn't have thought of that.
*I'm looking forward to having an excuse for keeping fresh flowers in the house all the time. I do it from time to time now, but I think I can justify the expense of having a few bunches during showings.

Feel free to jump into my tribe of one. Maybe you other mamas are diligently crossing things off your lists instead of hanging out online. I have to have a little break now and then, or I'll go nuts!:
#8 of 10 Old 04-14-2009, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Even with Sunday given over to family events, we made lots of progress this weekend. DH and my dad finished the carport. So glad to be able to check that off the list!

I painted 1/2 the family room and 1/2 the dining room -- they're connected. I'm hoping to work my way around to complete the two rooms and then paint the fireplace. It has made a world of difference and I'm energized! Like most of the projects we're undertaking, I wish I'd done it sooner.

We also agreed (finally) on colors for the exterior of the house, we're just waiting for the painters get three days of good weather. Well, there are a few little things we need to do -- get unused satellite dishes off the house, etc.

Tomorrow is grocery shopping and infant/parent class, so I probably won't get tons done, but I will work on packing up kitchen items we rarely use...
#9 of 10 Old 05-16-2009, 05:35 PM

Nimbus - wondering how things are going for you and if you are still looking for anyone to be in your tribe...

I'm moving in 6 days. I am moving from one state to another for a new job, from rental property to rental property, with 2 kids and a bun in the oven.

We last moved 17 months ago and did a major purge (40+ boxes) after that move. We have resumed the purge in the last 3 weeks and gotten rid of a ton of stuff (another 20-30 boxes). I know that we will purge again as we unpack at the new place. Slowly but surely we are reducing the amount of stuff that we are attached to emotionally.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#10 of 10 Old 05-17-2009, 02:50 PM

we are moving about 9 hours from where we are now for july 1st, but a week ago thought we had 6 months. now im kind of freaking out. we have So much to do..so much to organize, de-clutter, get rid of..so much planning. ak. it scares me. i know that it will all fall into place, but still. its a LOT to think about...especially on top of 3 kids, a dog 3 day care kids..& jobs and all of that stuff.

i will def. be looking here for simplifying tips.

good luck to everyone on this journey.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page