Mothering Forum banner

What do you use to make you home smell nice?

2K views 28 replies 25 participants last post by  Phantaja 
#1 ·
I am wanting something that I can put on a table that is safe for everyone and will make the house smell nice! Or something that I can hang... but not a plug-in or candle.

Thank you so much for any suggestions!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Well this isn't something you put on the table, but it will make your house smell awesome. Take a pan with water in it and orange peel and cinnamon sticks. Let simmer on the stove-your house will smell like baking pie.

#5 ·
They make essential oils with the little sticks. There's also potpurri, either dry or simmering or a bouquet of fresh or dried flowers.

#8 ·
Be careful with potpourri - a lot of them are made with artificial scents and are no better than using a commercial air freshener.

If you don't want to occupy your stove, you can get one of those potpourri warmers, fill it with water, drop in a couple cinnamon sticks, strips of orange peel, whole cloves, pieces of ginger, lemongrass, whatever scent you like, and light the candle. Just keep an eye on it, you'll have to keep refilling the water as it evaporates.

#9 ·
I make linen spray with a blend of EOs and distilled water. I occasionally spray it on the pillows, curtains, etc. I also make my own carpet fresh. put a box of baking soda on a large plate or tray. mix some EO with about 1/4 th cup water a drizzle over the baking soda, mix it and let it dry(takes a couple days-or less if you put it in the sun). I use an old jam jar and poke holes in the lid and use it to put the baking soda on the carpet.

you can buy little wooden sticks from the craft store and put them in a little jar with water and EO blend-works just like the potpourri sticks they sell in the store.

twoh

#12 ·
If I want it to smell really good for a reason (company etc) I will bake a loaf of bread right before they come over. Then the house smells wonderfully of fresh baked bread.. and I have a snack for my guests. If I just want it to smell good for myself I will either burn incense (I haven't done it in a while, everything was giving me migraines) or bake something I really like the smell of.

#13 ·
I will bake cookies and banana bread and I have just started to bake bread. I also love flowers. Lilys look great, smell wonderful and last for at least two weeks if you keep trimming the stalks when you refresh the water. Hyacinths also have a strong scent which will spread through a house and they last a long time.

#14 ·
We have a jar called Millefiore which has sticks sticking out of it which makes our stinky shoe pile less stinky. Ours in Vanilla and Wood. Dh has a grapefruit one at his office.

They aren't cheap but ours has lasted well over a year and still has half an inch of liquid in the bottom.

We also open windows for a good part of the day even in winter and try to remember to empty the worktop compost bin!

#17 ·
When I start the vacuum with a new bag, I put some essential oil on a cotton ball or even just a scrap of cloth or toilet paper, and vacuum it up. Nice smells (instead of that dusty smell) come out of the vacuum for a long time! You might choose some kind of cleansing or antibacterial EO - I use thyme sometimes.

#19 ·
Nag Champa Superhit incense
it's 75 cents for 10 sticks, and i only need to burn 1 every few days to keep the entire house smelling divine

also, for the "carpet fresh", you can just mix EO directly into the baking soda box--use a fork to disperse it evenly--that way there's no drying time.

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
Nag Champa Superhit incense
it's 75 cents for 10 sticks, and i only need to burn 1 every few days to keep the entire house smelling divine

also, for the "carpet fresh", you can just mix EO directly into the baking soda box--use a fork to disperse it evenly--that way there's no drying time.
I was just getting ready to suggest incense. Nag Champa is my favorite as well. I think I'll go light one right now!

#22 ·
I like Nag Champa in the winter (which we seem to have returned to here in Central Ontario!), but it's too heavy for spring summer. Ahhhh, since it's winter today and I'm about to go out in the snow, I think I'll leave one burning so the house smells cozy when I come back in!

#24 ·
I'm not a big fan of "smells". I always think they're there to cover something up. I just keep my house really clean and open the windows when possible. In the Spring/Summer, the house smells like sunshine, flowers and wind. In the fall/winter, I do keep baskets of pine cones (with cinnamon EO) around the house and that feels cozy (I'll light a buttercream candle on really cold days). I also bake a lot in the colder months and DH barbeques a ton during the warmer ones - both make the house smell great.

Oh, and I second the "coffee"! AHHHHHHHHHH

#25 ·
I am not a person who likes heavy scents either. Baking sweets/bread is very, "homey" some is coffee. I have heard of ppl simmering cinnamon sticks on the stove. Our house, we use mostly vinegar or Charlie's Soap to clean with. When we are away for a day or overnight, and we come back home, our house smells like clean HW floors (we have HW floors). I really like the smell, b/c I guess it smells like, "home" to me. The only time I light a candle is when I've been cooking something strong like curry, or something with a lot of onions/garlic and I need to get rid of that smell before company arrives. However, for the most part, I don't believe in using air freshner type of stuff. Opening windows is great too, unfortunately, as soon as the pollen is out, I can't open my windows due to allergies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.