cloth pads and work - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 04-01-2009, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those of you who use cloth/mama pads, do you work full time? If so, do you use them at work or do you just save them for when you're at home? If you DO use them at work, what do you do with them when you're changing? I'm strongly considering using them, trying to be more frugal and better on our environment, but am puzzled as to what I would do with them at work.

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 04-01-2009, 03:20 PM

you'll need to get a little wet bag to put your soiled mama cloth in (http://www.cottontailbaby.com/item_3...a-Pad-Bags.htm) and generally the pads fold and snap a certain way to contain mess.
#3 of 22 Old 04-01-2009, 03:28 PM

I second the wet bag idea. I work full time and this is what I do. However, I am not a heavy bleeder and don't go through pads during the day very quickly. But, a wet bag would work either way and you can just clean them once you get home.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#4 of 22 Old 04-01-2009, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMoon View Post
I second the wet bag idea. I work full time and this is what I do. However, I am not a heavy bleeder and don't go through pads during the day very quickly. But, a wet bag would work either way and you can just clean them once you get home.

Ok - here's my next question. What is the best way to wash them? Warm/Hot water? How many wash cycles?
#5 of 22 Old 04-01-2009, 06:31 PM

Usually, I wash in cold water and then the dryer or hang outside to disinfect. If they are not too messy, I toss them in with the towels and wash them however i'm washing the towels. I keep a 'wet bucket' in the bathroom, so I'll often just dump the water out and then put the cloth in the washer. Having been wet, they clean up pretty well. Nothing too special for me.
#6 of 22 Old 04-01-2009, 07:21 PM

I don't work ofh any more so I don't have to deal with that. But we are on the go so much that I use a small wetbag for when I'm away. I throw my pads in a wet bag that hangs on the bathroom door at home. Then on Sunday, I throw them in the washer with my whites. Sometimes I have to wash a load midweek if I'm running low. I have a problem so I have to wear them every day. I wash on warm with 2 scoops of my homemade laundry soap.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
#7 of 22 Old 04-02-2009, 10:37 AM

I carry a wetbag too. However I find the cotton pads are so absorbant I rarely have to change them. I do not woh though.

I wash my pads with DS's nightime diapers and our cloth TP wipes. Rinse, cold wash with soap, sometimes with vinegar too, not always though. Hang to dry outside or inside.

I'm not one to worry about stains. They will just get red again next month right? I made them out of red cloth anyway, problem solved!
#8 of 22 Old 04-02-2009, 11:03 AM

You always want to wash anything with blood in it with cold water.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#9 of 22 Old 04-02-2009, 04:53 PM
rcr

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I throw them in with cloth dipes. I also carry one of those wet bags.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#10 of 22 Old 04-03-2009, 04:51 AM

I throw them into a little bucket in my laundry room sink with some cold water and OXY clean! After sittingthere overnight, most of the blood has leached out, and I throw them in the washer with the cloth dipes! Cold cycle, then hot. and into the dryer

PAXbaby.com Baby Carrier Superstore & Sprout Soup Columbus, OH Natural Family Store
Love your Beco? Check out myBecoBaby.com for pics, tips, & fun!
#11 of 22 Old 04-05-2009, 06:06 PM

I use them all the time. I don't even use a wetbag, I just fold the pad up and stick it in a pocket in my purse. It seems to work. They aren't leaky or anything. I change them every couple of hours.

I do an overnight soak in a bucket and then I wash with hot water and the bathroom rugs.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#12 of 22 Old 04-05-2009, 09:30 PM

i use cloth exclusively and work. i use a wool wet bag. at home i soak in a plastic bin with water and vinegar and then wash in my next dark load.
(the worst was one day during a heavy cycle i soaked a pad in the bathroom sink at work and forgot to take it out right away. i went to grab my wet bag and the phone rang for me. so embaressing i am never likely to do that again!

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

#13 of 22 Old 04-09-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post
You always want to wash anything with blood in it with cold water.
Cold water helps keep the blood from staining, but if you are willing to accept that the cloth specifically used for holding blood might stain a little, it doesn't matter.
#14 of 22 Old 04-10-2009, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I carried a waterproof bag and washed in hot after soaking in cold water.

I just switched to the Diva Cup and am loving it. Have you considered that?
#15 of 22 Old 04-11-2009, 11:52 PM

I think a Diva cup is more economical over time and easier for work as most women only empty it twice a day.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#16 of 22 Old 04-12-2009, 05:11 PM

Swaddlebees sells nice little bags for 1 or two pads. I like the wet/dry bags from planetwise--I'm going to use those at home. I haven't checked to see if they have a small bag for work.
#17 of 22 Old 04-12-2009, 07:46 PM

I have a nice little wet bag from an etsy mama. When I'm in a single stall bathroom (where the sink is in the private space with the toilet), I swap my pads, rinse them in cold water, wring them out, and pop em in the wet bag. Then I rinse the sink really well to make sure that I didn't leave any red trace. If it is a bathroom with the sinks in a public area, I don't rinse it, just fold it up using the wings to hold it and pop it in the wet bag. Unfortunately this makes the pads stain more, so I like dark patterned pads for that, since the stains don't show. I use them all though. Pads get stained, its a fact of life.

If I'm at home, I just pop them into my jar full of water (which I sewed a bag for so you can't tell whats in it, for those of delicate sensibilities), then dump the water once a day. I also put the pads from while I was out in the jar when I get home. then I dump the jar and pads in the washing machine, and wash on cold with hydrogen peroxide, along with any other non-whites that need washing. (because not all my pads are white). I've discovered the staining on pads really comes from when the blood is allowed to dry on the pad, primarily. The bloody water doesn't cause stains in the washing machine.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#18 of 22 Old 04-14-2009, 03:54 PM

I WOH FT and just use a two sided wet bag - one side for clean, one side for dry. I don't rinse or anything until I get home at the end of the day and then I rinse and toss them into a bucket.

I have a heavy AF so I do a rinse/spin cycle on warm first with just my cloth pads/wet bag then add in towels, socks, etc. and wash everything on a regular hot cycle with detergent and vinegar as fabric softener. If I don't rinse first, I tend to get my whites out of the washer with a tan tint to them. DH didn't appreciate the first time that happened to his socks.

WOHM: Married 2002. partners.gif Dog parents 2005. dog2.gif DS arrived 3/3/10. Newbie expected late June 2013. slingboy.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gif

#19 of 22 Old 04-17-2009, 01:20 AM

Washing is really similar to cloth diapers where you rinse in cold water first to keep the stains from setting. Perhaps that's why it works out well for many people to just wash the cloth pads with the diapers: cold rinse, hot wash, etc.

If you are taking them to work you'll definitely want a wetbag. They make them with zippers, two pockets, snaps, drawstrings, etc.
#20 of 22 Old 05-02-2009, 02:45 AM

I use sea sponge tampons when I am out and about. Like the diva cup they just get rinsed out in the sink and reinserted. I don't necessarily recommend them for the squeamish but after four kids, I am definitely not that.

Stephany
#21 of 22 Old 05-08-2009, 03:52 PM

I have a Gladrags zippered pouch that came with a nylon bag inside to put used pads in. I found that staining occurs when you don't treat them with something soon enough -8 hours, you're OK, 12 hours, I get stains (still experimenting with in between times. I work full time and commute. There is no way I could rinse a pad in the bathroom at work, so I take a little 2 oz. squeeze bottle with some Bac Out in it. I squirt a little on the spots when I change my pad in the stall.

When I get home, I put my pads in water in a porcelain jar with a lid. I change the water every night. I wash my pads with regular clothes in cold water.

Bac Out is fantastic, but pricey. I tried to dilute it with water 50/50, but it doesn't work as well on stains or odor when diluted.
#22 of 22 Old 06-10-2009, 08:44 PM

I work full time and use cloth at work. I carry a wetbag with me that fits in my purse and just fold and snap my pads together, throw them in the wetbag, rinse them with cold water when I get home and then wash them later with towels!

I've found that cloth pads don't smell nearly as bad as their plastic counterparts as well!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page