homemade detergent recipes? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-10-2009, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I tried the recipe tonight. I only made half of the amount and was planning to fill up 2 small seventh generation containers and an empty water bottle. The water bottle had a hole in it so I couldn't use it. I poured the mix into the 2 sm containers and then added some water to top it off. I'm thinking I didn't add enough water since these bottles are pretty small. How much water do you generally add to top them off? Surpisingly, the liquid only filled up 3/4 of the containers so I filled the rest w water. I guess my stuff will be extra concentrated. I do like the way the Fels Naptha smells better than the Ivory. Unfortunately, I didn't have any suitable EO scents to add. Can I still add this a few days later? Anyways, it was fun to try. Can't wait to wash some more laundry tomorrow. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2009, 11:41 AM

I just checked my detergent and the soap is all on the top-kinda coagulated. I read about this on a previous post but I'd have to empty it all out of the bottles and somehow mix it up. I don't have an immersion blender. Is this normal? Will it liquefy if I shake good enough?
Sorry about all the questions again.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:02 PM

Mine didn't set up either. : I just shake it ALOT and pour quiclky. Lucky for me I need to strip the beds and we're going on vacation next weekend so I should use up most of it by then and get to try again. It seems to be cleaning fine though. Mine's looks like half water at the bottom and a very frothy foam on top...maybe that's what it's supposed to look like??

I may go the other way, es1967 and just try mixing the powders...

Mandy, Jesus loving, homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, food growing, homeschooling, hippy mama of 4.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by es1967 View Post
I just checked my detergent and the soap is all on the top-kinda coagulated. I read about this on a previous post but I'd have to empty it all out of the bottles and somehow mix it up. I don't have an immersion blender. Is this normal? Will it liquefy if I shake good enough?
Sorry about all the questions again.

That is what it's supposed to do. I just shake it will all my might. After the first shake it will separate slightly but it just takes a quick shake before each use after the first crazy shaking.
It will have a very heavy layer on the top but will mix together nicely just kind of shake it like you would to shake up a can of paint.

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Well, I tried the recipe tonight. I only made half of the amount and was planning to fill up 2 small seventh generation containers and an empty water bottle. The water bottle had a whole in it so I couldn't use it. I poured the mix into the 2 sm containers and then added some water to top it off. I'm thinking I didn't add enough water since these bottles are pretty small. How much water do you generally add to top them off? Surpisingly, the liquid only filled up 3/4 of the containers so I filled the rest w water. I guess my stuff will be extra concentrated. I do like the way the Fels Naptha smells better than the Ivory. Unfortunately, I didn't have any suitable EO scents to add. Can I still add this a few days later? Anyways, it was fun to try. Can't wait to wash some more laundry tomorrow. :
I'm trying to remember how much the jugs filled up. It has been awhile since I made it - 3 jugs of soap lasts a long time even for a family of 6 +diapers. they are galon milk jugs. I'd say they filled around 3/4full.

You can probably add the EOs later. You will have to shake it pretty well to get it to mix in all the way since the soap is concentrated.
Don't expect the clothes to come out very scented with the 30drops per gallon of soap though. I think next time I will add more, it makes the soap smell lovely but you don't smell it on the dry clothes. Just a fresh clean kind of scent. I use 15drops lavender oil, and 15drops tea tree oil in my mix.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:50 PM

Thanks mommathea for all your help.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:11 AM

I used my liquid version last night. It does seem like the liquid version was very concentrated. I used about 1/3 cup and the water seemed soapy. My only problem was that there were chunks of solidified soap in the washer. I really tried to shake it and it did break up a little. It seemed to clean good and left no scent of ivory which I like. I actually like the smell of the Fels Naptha's (slight) clean scent on my clothes a little better but I know its not as safe w all its ingredients. The funny thing is that I checked my other bottle of liquid I made and its totally solid-weird. I can't even shake it up. Maybe I filled it too high.
Anyways, its been fun and I'm going to keep washing to see how this works out.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:06 AM

My powdered version makes all my clothes very soft? My sheets were so soft I couldn't believe it. What ingredient makes everything come out so soft?
just curious.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
My powdered version makes all my clothes very soft? My sheets were so soft I couldn't believe it. What ingredient makes everything come out so soft?
just curious.
Interesting. I wonder if it's leaving residue on the fabric, and that's what's making it so soft. Because you're using the same ingredients as the liquid version, right?

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Interesting. I wonder if it's leaving residue on the fabric, and that's what's making it so soft. Because you're using the same ingredients as the liquid version, right?
For the powdered I used Fels Naptha soap,borax,washing soda and some oxyclean in my mix.

For the liquid I used Ivory,Borax and washing soda.

I havn't used the liquid enough yet. Maybe its the Fels Naptha soap but the clothes feel lighter too-more airy. Maybe I should do I vinegar rinse just to see. The water does not seem soapy at all though.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:27 PM

I guess I am the only one left here.
Mommathea- I used up my powder and started w the liquid and really shook the bottle well. It worked! and poured it fast. I'm amazed how soapy the water feels from just using a little. Very concentrated stuff. Do you find the the water is soapy feeling or am I using too much?
Old 06-27-2009, 01:36 AM

I haven't read the whole thread, but I like my powdered version.

I put 1 cup each of borax, washing soda, baking soda & sun oxy cleaner and one bar grated soap into the food processor and blend until well mixed. I couldn't find any Dr Bronners or a good soap like that, so I used a bar of glycerin soap and it works great.

What's the benefit of making it a liquid detergent? The powdered I've made dissolves almost instantly and is easier to keep (IMO).

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 
Old 06-27-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I guess I am the only one left here.
Mommathea- I used up my powder and started w the liquid and really shook the bottle well. It worked! and poured it fast. I'm amazed how soapy the water feels from just using a little. Very concentrated stuff. Do you find the the water is soapy feeling or am I using too much?
I've never felt the water per say. How much did you use. I have a super HUGE washer - the biggest one I could find that wasn't industrial, and only use 1/4c per Xlarge load.
If you have a normal washer I'd use between an 1/8 and 1/4th cup.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:22 PM

i am sooo excited to have found this thread!!! i finally found all the ingredients. my local grocery store is smaller and didn't carry it, but i tried one in town today and there it was!

after finding this thread i also found the info for dishwashing detergent and have tried it once sucessfully. i'm hoping to try it on some dirtier dishes and see how it does.

anyway, i've got to go grate some ivory and get to using my homemade laundry detergent. so much better for my family health wise and financially (which really does affect heath)!

thanks for everyone who shared recipes, challenges and how to fix them!

:
Old 09-04-2009, 06:43 PM

I'm back to using the dry powder with the Fels Naptha. I grated the soap in the food processer this time and it worked awesome. Its just easier for me to do the dry version. My liquid version turned out really goopy and lumpy and so I feel like I got too much soap w some loads. I didn't have the right containers so I'm sure that didn't help either. I'm still looking for something to get stains and grease out-to pretreat spots.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:09 PM

http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/

This is a good place to get the ingredients you're having trouble finding.

I've been using the dry version in my front loader, and it works out really well.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:26 PM

I love that we're updating.

I switched to powder and don't measure, I just grate a bar of soap and add borax, washing soda, baking soda and sun oxy booster. I love it! It only takes a few minutes to mix, I'm never out of detergant and LOVE the price. My clothes come out super clean and soft (I also rinse with vinegar). Oh! If the clothes are germy/stinky/mildewy, I'll add some tea tree oil.

Anyone know if it works on cloth diapers? I'll be needing that info soon!

My machine is the regular-large size and I use about 1/8 cup/load, if they're really dirty then it will be a heaping scoop. It works on dh's work clothes, our nice clothes and everything in between.

One thing I'm not in love with was ivory soap. I'll try to find a harder soap next time. I've used a glycerine, an all natrual, hand made and random hotel soaps. They've all preformed well, I just find it hard to grat the soft soap.

Mandy, Jesus loving, homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, food growing, homeschooling, hippy mama of 4.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:31 PM

I use the same recipe and use it on my diapers (prefolds/covers) with no issues. You're not supposed to use soap on dipes because it can cause them to repel, but like I said, I haven't had any problems.

I just made up a new batch tonight and used Fels Naptha. I have been using glycerin soap, but I've been noticing a little dinginess here and there, so thought I'd try a stronger soap. I have a front loader and normally use 1Tbs for a regular load, or 2T for an especially heavy/dirty one.

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 
Old 09-06-2009, 12:32 AM

I used this detergent on my cloth diapers as well. With the flats, prefolds, and covers, no problem at all. I did eventually realize that my fuzzi bunz weren't the same though.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:53 AM

We got really bad stink using the liquid version on our diapers. Loveit for the clothing but we've switched for just diapers.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

Old 09-06-2009, 03:28 PM

We had a major spill yesterday. An entire green smoothie on my off white sofa. DS somehow pushed it off the table and the glass slid spreading it everywhere. Luckily the sofa is slipcovered and I did some major stain removal-dish detergent working the best-vs oxyclean and shout. The homemade detergent just wasn't cutting it so I sent DH out for some cheer detergent. I must say my slipcovers are so much brighter and cleaner. I will go back to making my own but may need to start adding in some oxyclean or something.
The homemade stuff really does not work well on any of my stains.

User Tag List