Stove For Canning - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-16-2009, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a different kind of stove that uses a lot of radiant heat. It can be difficult to keep something boiling for a very long period of time. I used to have a spare electric range so my canning was done there. Now its gone. I do not have the space to go out and buy a whole stove for just canning. I have not looked at camp stoves or counter top portable cook tops yet - but does anyone have any experience with those? Would something like that be possible for canning?
#2 of 6 Old 04-17-2009, 12:24 AM

My friend and I did a bunch of cannning together last autumn. Her kitchen is not huge and she just has a 4 burner electric stove. In the name of efficiency and not dying from ehat overload, we had two hot water canners on her deck outdoors on a propane camp stove while we used the stove top with two (giant) pots full of stewing tomatoes and boiling water for skinning the tomatoes.

In short, a camp stove large enough to support a heavy canner is fine.

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!
#3 of 6 Old 04-17-2009, 12:30 AM

Our gas grill has an auxiliary burner. I don't know how efficient those are--about as efficient as a camp stove, I imagine. Are turkey fryers stable? It's basically a giant burner.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#4 of 6 Old 04-18-2009, 04:36 PM

I did 95% of my canning last year on a little portable propane stove outside and it worked WONDERFULLY! It's a two-burner deal by Camp Chef - the explorer or something. It was a little pricy ($100), but definetly well worth it, IMO.
#5 of 6 Old 04-19-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelyndale View Post
Our gas grill has an auxiliary burner. I don't know how efficient those are--about as efficient as a camp stove, I imagine. Are turkey fryers stable? It's basically a giant burner.

I have used a propane burner like a turkey fryer. It was stable enough for me to use with my BIG water bath canner, but I most certainly wouldn't want kids in the area since it is right at ground level.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#6 of 6 Old 04-20-2009, 11:32 AM

I love canning on a camp stove. It is my preferred way to can. Ideally, a three burner is perfect because then you can have two canners going at once. It is usually hot and muggy during canning season, so better to do it outdoors if at all possible.

The best, most productive canning season I've ever had was the year that DSS's mom and I teamed up. We had a camping pavillion set up, a big folding plastic table in there as our prep area, the garden hose with spray attachment, several bus tubs, the propane stove with canners, and of course, cutting boards/knives/food mill/jars/etc. And some beer. We were able to make marinara outdoors one day and can it the next. We put up enough marinara, salsa, pickles, beets, and applesauce for both our families for the entire year. And the cleanup was faster and easier than if we had been in a kitchen.

Good times.

Anyway, I would consider a camp stove a good canning investment.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page