Hanging Laundry - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-18-2009, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now that spring is upon us I wanted to start a thread to inspire and celebrate hanging laundry out to dry. I work 5 or 6 (and sometimes 7!) days a week and used to think I just did not have the time. Two years ago (after watching "an inconvieniant truth") I made the commitment to hang my laundry as often as I could, which has turned out to be about 95% of the time (seasonally). It has turned out to be my meditation! I love getting a few quiet moments in the sun and feel good about cutting my carbon footprint just a bit more. It is a very peaceful and rewarding way of doing housework. I invite all those who are able and have not yet made the commitment to give it a try in celebration of Earth Day......
:

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2009, 03:49 PM

I'm in. I do not have a dryer, so I hang nearly 100%. There are those times when I use the dryer at the laundromat because I get behind...but usually, it's the line! I love the way the sun clears stains most of all!
Old 04-18-2009, 04:21 PM

I have always hung my laundry out a lot in the summer, but I had a deck and those small fold up hangers. We have demolished (and by "we" I mean mostly "me") the old, rotten deck. So, I ordered an umbrella clothes dryer, and it came yesterday! I am so excited. Of course, we have a foot of snow on the ground right now, so it'll have to wait a few days before I can put it out. I'm really jazzed about using it though because I'll be able to hang even more stuff out. :
Old 04-18-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
I have always hung my laundry out a lot in the summer, but I had a deck and those small fold up hangers. We have demolished (and by "we" I mean mostly "me") the old, rotten deck. So, I ordered an umbrella clothes dryer, and it came yesterday! I am so excited. Of course, we have a foot of snow on the ground right now, so it'll have to wait a few days before I can put it out. I'm really jazzed about using it though because I'll be able to hang even more stuff out. :

Hooray!

I'm so glad that we don't have a foot on the ground anymore. There is a foot in some places but, thankfully, not under my clothesline. The snow disappears more quickly in Colordado (well, in many places ) than it does here.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:54 PM

I LOVE hanging out laundry! I love the way it looks, feels, and smells! Have you ever slept in sheets that have been hung out all day in the sun??? I like that it is "work" I can get done while my little one plays outside. She also loves to run through the clothes and feel them brush her face. I am not sure why more people don't hang out clothes! Keep it hanging!
Old 04-19-2009, 10:08 PM

I also love my clothesline. I can do a week's worth of laundry in about an hour and a half if I use the clothesline on a sunny, windy day. And it gets me outside!

I try to hang indoors as much as possible in the winter, but since our old dryer died and we got a new one, the new one is just.so.fast. that it is more of a temptation when it's too cold to dry outdoors.

Sometimes, I take dishes outdoors in the summertime and do that washing out there, too. When it's nice out, I don't even want to live in the house.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:28 AM

I have been hanging my laundry all of my life. When I was a kid, we did it because we were poor and "country" and all that entails.

When I moved out, I continued because it just makes ecological sense--and it made my laundry smell like home.

Dh had a hard time with the rough sheets and towels and the "funny smell" when we first met, but 14 years in, he's learned to accept it

Truthfully, I'm not always happy with the morning rush to get the laundry on the line before I need to be somewhere...but I am always happy to bury my face in it as I take it down.

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
Old 05-08-2009, 11:20 PM

Just bought my first clothes line!:

Hey
Old 05-09-2009, 08:27 AM

I love hanging the laundry outside. I'm always amazed by how quickly it dries. I never thought I could get 3 loads dry in one day, but I can...even if I statr laundry late. I love the sun!
Old 05-10-2009, 10:28 AM

I want a clothes line....
Old 05-10-2009, 09:09 PM

I have an indoor drying rack that I sometimes take outside when it's nice here. I wish I had more room to dry - I can do a load a day in the summertime and a load every other day in the winter. Sometimes we get behind and I have to use the dryer, but for the most part, I love "line" drying. I recently recieved some kids clothes from a friend who's kid had outgrown them. They smelled funny to me, Thats when I realized that was the smell of dryer sheets! :-)
Old 05-11-2009, 01:17 PM

I hate it when lo comes from Granny's house with clothes that she's washed. The strong smell of soap and fabric softener burns my nose. I always change him and am grateful that I've made a switch to healther cleaning habits!
Old 05-11-2009, 03:20 PM

i too am super anxious to start hanging our clothes out again. my hubby is gonna make me the mother of all clotheslines as soon as he gets his welder back. this thing will have 6 or 7 rows to hang stuff.: he made a joke about putting neon lights on top and it could probably be seen from space.

i hope its soon though cause weve already hit 100 this year.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:04 PM

I do it!

I started when it cost $$$ to dry stuff in college. Now it is just a habit.

Suzan's clothesline tip: buy a heavier duty clothesline on Amazon, etc. The ones they sell at HD/Target suck in comparison.

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:35 PM

I live in Israel and we hang outside all year round unless its raining in the winter! I let my baby crawl around on the front walk while I hang, she loves to get outside. I actually miss my dryer days, its so much easier, quicker and the clothes come out so much softer :.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:41 PM

I started hanging mine last year when the dryer was broken. I actually dislike the scratchy feel of the clothes, and esp underwear, sheets, and towels. My routine is to get them mostly dry on the line, then I pop them in the dryer to finish. It only takes a few minutes in the dryer that way, and they come out softer.

Our weather allows to line dry all year. It's so hot already -- in the 90s!

I haven't been line drying recently because of seasonal allergies. First cedar, then oak. Plus, both cedar and oak leave a yellow residue on everything. Now that the allergy season is behind us i'll start line drying again.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:50 PM

We splurged on an HE washer when we moved in to this new house, and the deal I made with myself was that I could get the new HE washer only if I didn't replace or keep the dryer. So I didn't. And so far being dryer-free feels like a good decision. I hope I still feel good about it come winter. :
Old 05-21-2009, 01:55 PM

Oh I really like to hang out my laundry. Dh built me a line last year and I need to get alot better and hanging my laundry. Lately its been so rainy and stormy so that was my excuse. Now is sunny and 80 degrees. Looks like I need to hang it out today!! Dh loves it when i hang it out. Most people think its scratchy but he likes the smell and feel so thats good. And anything that is "green" is good in his book. Im so happy I have a DH that is on board with everything!

Kim: Wife To Colby. Mommy To DS1 Christopher and DS2 Bradly. :
Old 05-21-2009, 10:05 PM

i just started hanging my laundry... oh my gosh...
i think it is so beautiful to see the clean clothes blowing in the breeze
and hanging them is like my very own meditation. something about it is peaceful.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:08 PM

Coming late to this thread! I love hanging laundry out - it is a meditative experience! For those that are time crunched in the morning, try hanging out in the dark before bed. I did that all the time last summer, hang out late with the moon and the dark stillness. Everything is dry by midmorning and more can go up!!

JoAnn Married almost 12 years to DH Chris.  DS1 01/05 DS2 09/09 DS3 05/12.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insahmniak View Post
We splurged on an HE washer when we moved in to this new house, and the deal I made with myself was that I could get the new HE washer only if I didn't replace or keep the dryer. So I didn't. And so far being dryer-free feels like a good decision. I hope I still feel good about it come winter. :
We did something similar when we moved to a new house last year. Got a great HE washer and a $50 used cheapo dryer. We do use the dryer in the winter, we hang on an indoor rack as much as we can but just can't wait 2 days for jeans to dry, KWIM?

We have a beautiful long clothesline and some of my fondest memories of our first summer here are of standing on our new deck, in our new yard, in the warm sun, just idyllic, listening to the birds, watching the kids play on the swingset, and hanging the laundry.

This summer... so far I think I've hung laundry a grand total of 3 times. Not for lack of desire!!! This has been the absolute WETTEST summer on record. We had THREE STRAIGHT WEEKS of rain and dampness. A few days of cloudy with sunny breaks. A day or two of actual SUMMER. Then right back to RAIN RAIN RAIN. I've only used the barbecue once, even.

It's getting ridiculous!

Anyway, I LOVE hanging laundry, but I am another of those who does NOT like the way clothes feel, especially towels. So rough and scratchy... And everything is so STIFF. I might just have to try that trick of throwing them in the dryer for a few minutes just to soften it all up...

I've found that sometimes the wooden clothespins leave an unpleasant odor on the clothes... anyone else find this?

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
Old 07-21-2009, 06:04 PM

[QUOTE=darlintxmomma;13745939]i my hubby is gonna make me the mother of all clotheslines as soon as he gets his welder back. this thing will have 6 or 7 rows to hang stuff.: QUOTE]

I'm sure whatever your hubby makes is going to be great. But, if he hasn't had time yet, I have to say I'm really impressed with my umbrella clothesline. I can get 6+ loads of laundry on it. There is a pic about it at this blog post: http://euphoriamaternity.wordpress.c...thesline-ever/

Blogger/Quilter + Homeschooling Mama to Aria (9) and Liam (7)
StitchedinColor.com

Old 07-21-2009, 06:39 PM

Last fall I bought heavy duty coated cable clothesline from Lehman's. It doesn't streatch. I'll leave it up all year long. In the winter I dry in the basement. We have a woodstove down there and it speeds stuff up.

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
Old 07-22-2009, 09:46 AM

I have long been a line dryer. When I moved to the apartment I got a drying rack from Ikea, Clothes dried quickly in the kitchen next to the heater. Worked great. I am so happy to be hanging outside now. Just a simple rope tied from tree to shed. And I get my daily dose of Vit D from the sunshine as well! I am happy to not pay electricity for something so simple as line drying!
Smiles,
Inge
Old 07-24-2009, 04:41 AM

Another line dryer here! I love the productive feeling of managing all of the washing, hanging, taking down, fluffing (in the dryer - 5 minutes) and then folding and putting away. I do 3-4 loads some days and I truly love to see the billowing fabric on the line.

I actually find the arranging to be an artistic sort of meditation, I love to arrange colors, sizes of items, group all our socks, etc etc to make it all look appealing. Afterall I have to look at it and walk beneath it while it dries!

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
Old 07-24-2009, 10:37 AM

We have a long and severe seasonal allergy season in Central Texas. I quit hanging in Jan last year when cedar was high, and couldn't start again until after the oak trees quit pollinating in April. Having all that pollen all over our clothes and sheets would make us sneezy, itchy, snotty miserable people.

I always put them in the dryer to finish/fluff them up a bit and take the stiffness out. Do you think a quick run in the dryer shakes the pollen off? Anyone with experience in this area?
Old 07-25-2009, 06:02 AM

i just installed mine : then a thundershower and had to take it all down fast i LOVE the clothes rising in a breeze too i bought dollypegs, which don't flip + break, and make me feel nostalgic

we have a good rack from ikea we use inside the house. the dryer is pretty much for when i'm really disorganised and there's an unexpected business trip.
also i love my radiators for drying clothing fast in the winter

Old 08-01-2009, 07:26 PM

We went 7 years without a clothes dryer and even though we now have one, I still hang out clothes quite a bit. I have a giant umbrella outside that stays up all year plus lines in the basement. I haven't run the dryer much lately but I will use it for convenience when I am pressed for time. I also am a fan of hanging up a load in the evening. I try and switch the loads before work too. I can do 3 loads a day if the weather cooperates. I don't fluff except sometimes for towels, diapers and jeans.

My main problem is running out of clothespins. Those things disappear like crazy! I usually just leave them clipped to the line all the time. I should make a little bag like my g'ma had. My other problem is that the lines are some kind of vinyl that is now getting sticky after being out in the weather for years. I need to replace all the cords and would prefer to use cotton or hemp lines this time. Anyone done that?

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
Old 08-02-2009, 04:43 PM

I am so excited. I live in a stupid HOA community in FL and I was not sure that I could have a clothesline. Well I just found out today that there is a state law that prohibits the HOAs from saying we can not have solar panels or clotheslines. The only thing they can possibly do is ask that we place it in a certain area, mask it, or take it down when not in use. Heck, that is good enough for me. Tomorrow I am going to buy a new clothesline! :

I also do not like crusty items. I find drying them until they are about 95% dry helps a little. Another pet peave is lint stuck on black clothing, I always toss dark stuff in the dryer for 5-10 minutes. It still saves power but I don't have to look linty.

flower.gif Amanda flower.gif

Conservative, Christian, and Crunchy!

Wife of T, Mom of Z18, E15, M14, and D10.

Praying for a Reversal Blessing! 

Old 08-06-2009, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I love line-drying too, but I have a full-time job outside the home and live in a climate with plenty of rain and cold weather, so I hang the laundry in the basement. It doesn't have that fresh-air smell, but at least our basement is not the damp smelly type. When I lived in dorms and apartments, I had clotheslines across my room, or in one place there was a 6'x6' covered back porch that nobody was using so that was my laundry drying area. I like being able to hang laundry at night and in any weather. Like many of you, I enjoy the process of hanging; there's something very soothing about it.

When I take down the dry laundry, I fold and sort it at the same time--I take down the shirts and fold them and put them in the basket, then the skirts, etc. I find that a lot more efficient and less wrinkle-creating than dropping the laundry in a heap in the basket and then folding and sorting upstairs. In fact, now when I'm at someone's house and see him/her folding laundry on the bed or table, it strikes me as a weird thing to do.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

User Tag List