my swiffer wet jet broke what do I do?!?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-27-2009, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have been using my swiffer wet jet for about 3 years now. i stoped buying the soap and pads soon after i started using it, just refilled the bottle with water/vinegar/sal suds and used microfiber clothes to mop. but it broke over the weekend, the battery compartment was all rusty and ruined my reusable batteries. now what? i loved that mop, i washed the floor so much more often because of it. we have a dust mop i use on the wood floors as well as a rag top mop that i can throw into the washing machine, but it requires a bucket of water/vinegar/saop, am i being lazy i don't want to fill a bucket to wash the kitchen floor every 2-3 days (we have a 2.5yo and an 9mo so the floor in the kitchen gets dirty quick). should i just suck it up and buy another swiffer wet jet? i am concerned the battery compartment willl just ryst again, has that happened to anyone? also i was thinking of using the dust mop with a spray bottle of the same cleaning solution to wash the floors as needed and then doing a good wash once a week. any ideas?

what do you use to wash your floor; wood/tile?
how often do you wash?
#2 of 10 Old 04-28-2009, 09:19 AM

I have a Swiffer Wet Jet but don't use the disposable pads or Swiffer cleansers with it either. I stick a Microfiber pad on the end and squirt my mix (very similar to yours) manually, around the floor. I don't use the self-squirting component at all. I then just mop it all up. I tend to wash the floors once or twice a week.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#3 of 10 Old 05-04-2009, 11:51 AM

i have a solution!! This has happened to us twice now, as both times, we called the company, explained that we are very disappointed with the mop... i think you have to say it's less than a year old, but they will send you a coupon for a new one-- that should not happen-- i stopped storing mine with the bottle in to avoind the whole rusting thing, as i also hacked mine, and refilt he bottle, it may be more prone to leaking like that, IMO...
thanks for the suggestions about microfiber cloths-- how do they stay on? do they just cling to the velcro?? dang, i just bought a new box as i hadn't found a ggreen altrnative... well, after that's gone, i know what i'll do!! I also love my wetjet, and i have good things to say about the customer service dept!!

[SIZE="1"]Holly, slightly crunchy mama to my happy, energetic, sensitive Aiden (8/04) and My peanut girly girl, independent and proud Lillian (3/07)... Wife to my Jonathan, and a cancer SURVIVOR... now and forever!
#4 of 10 Old 02-05-2012, 05:18 PM

I have had 3 Swifers. It really makes my life easy.  I really enjoy cleaning with it until it stops working.  As I said, this ismy 3rd Swifter.  It was purchased at Target.  They were kind enough to accept the first two I had to return for the same problem.  The nozzle for the detergent  stops working.  Please help me.  I feel bad taking it back to Target again.  My name is Ellene Pelovitz. Email is epelovitz@cbmove.com. Hope to hear from someone from Swifter.  Thank you.

#5 of 10 Old 02-06-2012, 09:47 AM

I have an O-Cedar ProMist mop that is similar to a Swiffer but without a battery and has a refillable bottle and washable pads. I like it.

http://www.ocedar.com/main.taf?p=12,1

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#6 of 10 Old 02-07-2012, 09:29 PM

I love, love, love my Libman Freedom mop! No batteries involved. I bought a couple extra pads from a seller on Etsy.

Kali (pka Michelle) ~ crunchy wife to Cory (09/06) ~ Mama to H (03/90) & I (06/92)--bothnocirc.gifbf.jpg BF for 35 consecutive months ~ angel1.gif x 4

#7 of 10 Old 02-09-2012, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I have an Enjo mop and I LOVE it. I used to have a Swiffer mop and it just couldn't compare. This does a better job and there is no fussing with containers or batteries and no worries about chemicals as the microfibre cleans deep into the pores and crevices on my floors with just water. I bought it over three years ago and both the mop and the fibre look and work as well as they did new and I wash my floors 2-4 times a week. We have wooden floors and a little bit of ceramic tile. It took a few washings to get all of the residue from years of washing with Swiffer off the floor but now the floors gleam and shine more than we did when we moved in and that is with three kids and a dog!

#8 of 10 Old 02-09-2012, 08:48 PM

I have a Rubbermaid Reveal mop. It has washable pad and a refillable bottle. The spray mechanism doesn't require betteries. You can buy extra pads and bottles if needed. 

#9 of 10 Old 05-17-2012, 06:00 AM

I've been using my broken swiffer wet jet for like a year now. I just use a spray bottle with my preferred cleaner and spray it manually as I go. It's really easy. Plus thanks to the velcro on the bottom I use whatever other reusable towels/pads I want. Takes about the same amount of effort and time & will work until you feel like buying a new one.

#10 of 10 Old 05-17-2012, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I use a squirt bottle to spray the floor using a plain microfiber pad mop

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page