Deep-cleaning vinyl kitchen floor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-04-2009, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I'm a reasonably good house keeper. My regular vacuum/mop routine works for me and I stay on top of it most of the time. However, after several years of living and cooking over my kitchen floor, it just needs more than a regular old mopping. I generally mop with either Simple Green or a vinegar/water solution, so what I'm looking for here is more than that. There is grime actually down in all the little crevices. (I would love to get a nicer kitchen floor, one picked out by me, but that is not an option right now.)

How can I deep-clean these floors and get all that caked in grime out of the linoleum crevices? I admit they got bad like this once before, and I didn't do a very "green" thing--I just bleached the #$%! out of them and scrubbed on my hands and knees. That actually didn't work well for two reasons--one is that I used lots of bleach and felt guilty, and the second is that although the grime seemed to be gone, it also left my floors looking painfully, hideously dull. Like something was wrong with them dull.

Help!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#2 of 8 Old 05-04-2009, 02:55 AM

What about a steam mop?

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#3 of 8 Old 05-04-2009, 04:46 AM

Is it truly linoleum? It's not a type of vinyl floor? Forgive me, but a lot of times people will refer to their flooring as "linoleum" even when it's vinyl or some other material. This is important because linoleum is made with linseed oil, wood and jute flours, rosins, stuff like that and what you use to clean can potentially mess it up. Like bleach for example, that's kind of a not so good one for linoleum and may be why you're back to square one on the dirt issue.

The steam mop is a great suggestion. Here's a link to the marmoleum website on care and feeding of your linoleum floor forbolinoleum. Even if you have old linoleum, it's made from essentially the same stuff, so their cleaning recommendations are good. I would follow the site's instructions. (I have marmoleum in my home and it's wonderful and the great thing is it's non-toxic, unlike vinyl flooring which can off-gas for long time.)

If your floor is actually vinyl, you should also be careful what you use on it because, unlike linoleum, the color and/or pattern does not go clear thru and if you damage the surface, you cannot repair it like linoleum. The steam mop is a good suggestion here also.

hth

Anna wife to Phil & sahm to Iris (5/08) "Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth." - Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945), radio address, October 26, 1939
#4 of 8 Old 05-04-2009, 08:53 AM

The best results I ever got were from a steam-mop type thing the carpet cleaner used. I had done the same thing you did for cleaning, and I think that I may have damaged the finish - there are some floor restorers that may help with the dullness, and these might also fill in some of those wretched divets in vinyl, but I don't know how green/healthy they are.
#5 of 8 Old 05-04-2009, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

I have no idea about the difference, re: vinyl/linoleum. It's whatever came with the house and it isn't fancy--I'm guessing it's actually vinyl but what I grew up calling linoleum.

Do I have to rent the steam thing from a home center?

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#6 of 8 Old 05-04-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiLeigh View Post
Do I have to rent the steam thing from a home center?
You can usually rent at the grocery store.

Or you can buy one.My brother bought me one and I love having it.It works on carpet and hard floors.

#7 of 8 Old 05-04-2009, 05:13 PM

we have vinyl in our kitchen and the best thing that has worked for me is to get on my hands and knees with a mr. clean magic eraser. it gets into all those little crevices very very well with very little effort on my part. i do this about once a month and then just clean the rest of the time with my swiffer wet jet. the magic eraser shouldn't dull your floors either. it can be a pain in the butt, but thankfully my kitchen is on the small side.

i've never tried a steam mop before, so i will just stick to what i'm doing because i know it works.

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#8 of 8 Old 05-05-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm9799 View Post
we have vinyl in our kitchen and the best thing that has worked for me is to get on my hands and knees with a mr. clean magic eraser. it gets into all those little crevices very very well with very little effort on my part. i do this about once a month and then just clean the rest of the time with my swiffer wet jet. the magic eraser shouldn't dull your floors either. it can be a pain in the butt, but thankfully my kitchen is on the small side.

i've never tried a steam mop before, so i will just stick to what i'm doing because i know it works.
that's exactly what I used to do when we lived in our apartment with this stuff and it worked wonders. Now there are mops with the magic eraser sponge on the end which may be worth a try. http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Clean-Magic.../dp/B000VZOKN2

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page