Line Drying - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-05-2009, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tell me how you have your clothes line set up. We have a line going from the house to the garage. (we live in the city, have a small yard) With a pulley on each end. The rope has a knot in it so we can't pull the rope completely around. Any fixes for that?? And the rope sags a lot when the clothes are on it. So much that I am worried my clean clothes will soon be touching dog poop in the yard

Mama to & +:::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-05-2009, 01:53 PM

We have a really small yard too. Last year I splurged and bought an umbrella-style hanger that we dug a hole and cemented into the ground. I was completely sick of the saggy line, like you have. If I hung too much on it, the longer items really would be practically touching the ground. I can now get 3 full loads on the new hanger, and it paid for itself easily just last summer in gas bills that we saved from not running the dryer.
#3 of 6 Old 05-05-2009, 06:14 PM

We had one at our old house, just a long line stretched between two trees. I hate to say it, but although I *love* the idea of line drying, it just didn't work for me! The towels and washrags were crunchy, the clothes we stiff or wet around the edges, or the wind blew the clothes off the line, etc... I am going to give it another shot though!

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#4 of 6 Old 05-06-2009, 09:49 AM

The line is one long piece of wire joined together at the "knot" (Is it really just a knot?) You should be able to tighten the line so it doesn't sag. Also you can buy these clips http://www.bicwarehouse.com/clothesl...ader-888c.html that keep the line from sagging. When you are hanging the laundry make sure the knot is all the way at an end then you will have the whole length to hang on.

Some line drying tips -
http://www.bargaineering.com/article...aundry-lm.html
#5 of 6 Old 05-06-2009, 10:06 AM

I LOVE line drying and do it whenever possible. During seasons when I can hang out laundry, I try to do at least one load every day. We have a long line with southern exposure, stretched from the back door to a tree at the edge of the yard. It's hung high enough that I need to use a step ladder to reach it, but it prevents heavy blankets & stuff from ground drag.

When my towels and jeans come off the line crunchy, I just throw them in the dryer on the "air" (no heat) setting with two dryer balls, for 10 minutes or so. Crunch problem solved.

I've only had stuff actually blow off the line when we've had really strong winds - like the wind advisory or storm type. I like when it's breezy b/c the stuff dries faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisApril View Post
The line is one long piece of wire joined together at the "knot" (Is it really just a knot?) You should be able to tighten the line so it doesn't sag. Also you can buy these clips http://www.bicwarehouse.com/clothesl...ader-888c.html that keep the line from sagging. When you are hanging the laundry make sure the knot is all the way at an end then you will have the whole length to hang on.
: I have three of those clotheline spreaders and they work like a dream. I thought everyone used them, my mom always had them for our line when I was a kid.

We have the knot too, I just start hanging next to it and by the time it reaches the pulley at the opposite end the clothesline is full. Then I just pull it back in the opposite direction.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#6 of 6 Old 05-06-2009, 12:41 PM

We have a retractable clothesline from Home Depot...nothing fancy, but it does the job. It is attached to our wood fence and the hook for the line hangs on a metal hook screwed into the wood framing of our stucco shed (more like an outdoor closet that matches the building). I have to have the line below the fence line since we live in an HOA, but it works fine. I mostly use it for linens and the sheets and comforters, etc are above the ground. The retractable line doesn't sag if you pull it out fresh each time, which we pretty much have to do since it goes across our entire backyard (tiny).

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page