Going chlorine-free in our pool - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-05-2009, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Has anyone else done this? Any recommendations? I saw instructions on the bag of Baking Soda -- apparently you can use BS instead of chlorine! But I'm guessing it's not as easy as just substituting. (I was never good at chemistry...)

I also found a site (haven't done much reading yet though) for Ecosmarte Pools. Any experience with this kind of system? I'd love both positive and negative comments.
#2 of 14 Old 05-06-2009, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, I've never heard of using baking soda. Wouldn't that make the water cloudy? I've heard of people having salt water pools. A lady that I work with has a non-chlorine pool. I can't remember what she uses instead, but she gets it from the pool store.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#3 of 14 Old 05-06-2009, 12:45 PM

We love the city pool that uses a saltwater system! Your skin feels MUCH NICER and your eyes don't burn. (We still wear goggles, though, out of habit since we go to a variety of pools.) I have never heard of baking soda instead of chlorine, though.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#4 of 14 Old 05-06-2009, 03:48 PM

I've never heard of baking soda in a pool, and I don't know that I would try it. We are starting to look into making the switch to salt water next year. From what I understand, the salt can be rather corrosive on your pump, so we are weighing out the pros and cons.

Jen, SAHM to Jamie and Alexandra and with #3 in May
#5 of 14 Old 05-06-2009, 03:50 PM

I've never heard of baking soda, bu even with corrosive salt, it's worth it. Your body just feels amazing afterwards !
#6 of 14 Old 05-06-2009, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

The thing that bugs me about salt systems (other than the corrosion issue...) is that it basically uses a chemical reaction to create chlorine from the salt (sodium chloride). So even though it's more comfy and possibly a great spa treatment as a bonus, you're still swimming in chlorine, and isn't one of the bad things about chlorine that it gets absorbed into your system through your skin? Obviously, it's still preferable to inhaling the fumes too, but I don't want to be absorbing chlorine into my system...
#7 of 14 Old 05-06-2009, 05:31 PM

Get the pool frog system. That is what we have and it works really well. It's a mineral purification system that works w/the pool's filter.

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/alter...s/poolfrog.htm

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

#8 of 14 Old 05-06-2009, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, but it looks like it still uses chlorine.... no?
#9 of 14 Old 05-06-2009, 06:27 PM

I by no means claim to be a pool expert, but I was in the biz for several years.

Baking soda can for sure be used instead of soda ash in a pinch when you need to up your alkalinity, but you could never keep a pool sanitary/"clean" with soda ash, and I'm pretty darn sure you couldn't with baking soda either. It's a Ph balancer - not something that will keep the ickies out.

What exactly did the bag say. I am really curious. Most of what I'm finding on the web turns out to be people who thought the bag said they could use it instead of chlorine, but really it was the soda ash thing.

Like this is what Arm & Hammer apparently says:
Quote:
Here's how it works: ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda helps maintain the pH of the water in your pool in the desired range and provide necessary alkalinity (mineral salts found in water). Recommended pH control by ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda and a disinfecting agent will keep your pool water sparkling clear, and your eyes from burning.
That disinfecting agent would generally be Chlorine or Bromine.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#10 of 14 Old 05-06-2009, 08:14 PM

Salt water systems are actually salt water chlorine generators. The pools aren't chlorine free, you just never put chlorine into them—it is created by electrolysis when the salt water passes over the cell in the chlorine generator.

We converted our pool a couple of years ago and it is so much nicer. The system works really well. The water feels nice, our eyes don't burn and our hair doesn't turn green.
#11 of 14 Old 05-06-2009, 08:17 PM

Chlorine is Cl2. Salt is NaCl. Both deionize in water to Cl and Na and Cl. Either way...chloride ions. Kinda weird. When you eat salt, you aren't tasting salt - you're tasting chloride and sodium together.
#12 of 14 Old 05-08-2009, 12:26 AM

So does this mean that the only advantage of a salt pool vs. a chlorine pool is that it's more comfy? We we're thinking of converting because we thought it would be so much healthier/better for the environment.
#13 of 14 Old 05-08-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake girl View Post
So does this mean that the only advantage of a salt pool vs. a chlorine pool is that it's more comfy? We we're thinking of converting because we thought it would be so much healthier/better for the environment.
It can be a bit cheaper to maintain, and there is less maintenance (adding a bag of salt every once in a while, not weekly chlorine shocks) BUT that's only if the system really REALLY works. I know quite a few people with salt systems (including ones put in in the last couple of years) in which black mold grew, mustard algae and other algaes couldn't be kept away, etc. My BIL ended up picking up liquid chlorine again.

Then again, if the system really works (and I have no idea how to get one that definitely will, since I know of 4 people with them that are completely annoyed with them), I hear it's fantastic. Perhaps the technology is too new to be reliable?!?!?

I've heard ozone pools might be more environmentally friendly...but I'm really not sure. I think I was in a hotel once that had one, but don't have any friends with them.
#14 of 14 Old 05-09-2009, 11:05 PM

This might be a little OT but can I use baking soda instead of the more expensive pH increaser?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page