Older home, whee do I start? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-07-2009, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just moved into a new home last weekend and I am doing my best to green the place. Our old home had wood floors, CFL lights, energy efficient appliances, well insulated, electric thermostat. I feel so over whelmed, where do I start. I have already changed over all of the light bulbs and we are looking for a newer energy efficient oven/stove.

This house was built in 1975 and has had many updates but it was an older gentelman that lived here and there was not a lot of green going on. Considering his son lives next store and owns a chemical cleaning company.

Any tips or advice?
:

Yoga loving momma to DD, Eden Raine 8/04 , DS Brett Edwin 2/08, DS Brantley Albert 12/12 and wife for more than a decade to Jason 
~Living to preserve Gods green earth~

#2 of 6 Old 05-07-2009, 09:31 AM

The small stuff is a great place to start- I'd probably install a clothesline and rain barrel outside and do the thermometer inside.

Now that it is getting warm and sunny, take a look at how much sun you get. Then make sure that the sunniest windows have shades you can draw during the day to keep some heat out.

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#3 of 6 Old 05-07-2009, 09:39 AM

Here are some ideas I had depending on budget:

- tankless water heater / high efficiency furnace(or boiler depending on system) : you can also get up to a $1500 tax credit for getting these items installed in your home. A tankless water heater install runs around $1800-2K, so you'll be getting most of your money back pretty quickly. {My hubby is the GM of a heating company and they do a lot with green and energy efficient technology.}

- electric thermostat - also cheap fix

- windows. Not cheap but so necessary. Check for grants in your area for hime improvements.

- Inuslation, also check for grants.

- Is there hardwood under the carpets (if there are carpets)? Sanders are available to rent at hardware stores for a decent price and there are tons of low-VOC finishes available now.

- If you hae duct work, you should get the ducts cleaned before the cold weather coomes back. It will clean out a lot (a TON!) of residue in your ducts and make your furnace more efficient.

- What about the shower heads & faucets? Are they the water saver kind? (I forget what they're called, the ones that aerate the water to lessen how much water you actually use.)

Thats all I can think of right now! Oh what about the insulated curtains to keep out super hot summer sun on some windows / would work in winter also to keep out drafts.

Jackie, wife to the Hubster, homeschooling mom to 4 girls: Lala (9) , Lissie (7) and Lauren (3) and our newest arrival Addie Jane born 10-1-10!
#4 of 6 Old 05-07-2009, 11:28 AM

If the goal is reduced cost of ownership, start with an energy audit. (assuming you are the owner) Many older homes have MANY opportunities to reduce energy usage - especially heating costs. The right insulation, in the right place, will do a world of good.

With older appliances, be sure to test the fridge with a kill-a-watt. Some older fridges have huge energy usage and payback could be super fast for an Energy Star fridge
#5 of 6 Old 05-09-2009, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all of the help.

Hubby is setting up the clothesline this weekend.

I really NEED my compost bin built. I had such a great one at our other house.

The ducts and furnace are only 5 years old

windows are new and efficient.

We just purchased a new stove and refridgerator, enerrgy star

we are off to a good start, we just had all of this already at our rental so I feel I am starting from scratch. But at least now we own this home.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Yoga loving momma to DD, Eden Raine 8/04 , DS Brett Edwin 2/08, DS Brantley Albert 12/12 and wife for more than a decade to Jason 
~Living to preserve Gods green earth~

#6 of 6 Old 05-10-2009, 01:23 AM

:

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page