I was shocked because we use baking soda and suger in cooking -- so can it really be toxic? My girls are 9 and 4, so I think I could explain not to touch/eat it and they wouldn't. But I don't see how I could liberally apply it along all our baseboards and still be sure our cats wouldn't lick it. I mean, are cats drawn to sugar? Maybe they wouldn't eat it, but how could I know for sure?
Does anyone know WHY baking soda is considered dangerous/toxic to children/animals? I'd never heard of that before!
I think toxicity from it comes from ingesting too much sodium?? For example you can use pounds of it in pools - so you have to ingest a LOT of it to be toxic.
It tastes HORRIBLE so I really don't see any kids gobbling up handfulls of the stuff.
I don't think cats are drawn to sugar, dogs might be, but I don't think cats are.
Jenn mama to MonkeySquishy& River(8wks)Wife to Mike See you at the Bridge, Abigael and McKenna
I'm betting it's a misprint because WASHING soda kills cockroaches, not BAKING soda. Washing soda, Borax, is a natural mined mineral but it's an eye irritant and poisonous in large amts if ingested. Mixing Borax and sugar will get rid of cockroaches. I really don't think Baking soda will do much of anything other than get rid of smells.
It's not a misprint, baking soda kills roaches and ants. Sugar is used to attract them to it because otherwise both will avoid it. For ants you must use the powdered sugar or they will seperate the two and just take the sugar. Baking soda causes the roaches to dehydrate much like the Borax, it causes gas in the ants who cannot expell the gas so they explode. Also if you use baking soda to clean your counter tops it will help keep these pest away ;) Don't know of dangers to children or pets (you can brush a dogs teeth with it) but of course you probably shouldn't put it out in the open where either could get it. It is safe to put near foods and dishes and works well in cabinets.