Alternative to OxiClean? and how safe is Oxiclean anyway? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 05-20-2009, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A friend whom I have been trying to sway over to the green-side just asked me what she could use in place of Oxiclean because she wasn't comfortable using the chemicals on her kids clothes anymore--yeah!

I really didn't know what was in it, so I researched it, and it looks like its: baking soda, salt, carbon dioxide, hydrogen peroxide, and potassium hydroxide (lye). The only scary one is the lye.
http://www.atmos.umd.edu/~russ/MSDS/..._hydroxide.htm

So, how bad do you think that is? And is there a good alternative? We personally don't use any stain removers or whitening agents other than some baking soda in the white wash. Somehow, our clothes look fine. But I know many other families have loads of messy stains that they need help with. What can I suggest to her?

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#2 of 23 Old 05-20-2009, 11:16 AM

Potassium hydroxide is not a nasty chemical. It's KOH, so in water it dissociates to potassium and hydroxide, both of which are harmless besides their effect on pH. Concentrated, it's very basic, so it would burn your corneas if you put it on them, but in the wash it's totally harmless.

I use oxiclean as my environmentally sound choice when I need bleach.
#3 of 23 Old 05-20-2009, 11:20 AM

Oxiclean is fine, I wouldn't be worried about her using it.

Lye ... all soap has lye in it, although OxiClean isn't really a soap, but an oxegen bleach.
#4 of 23 Old 05-20-2009, 09:35 PM

Borax if the water is hard. My son reacts to Oxiclean on his skin - especially when he was in diapers.
#5 of 23 Old 05-20-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergirlie View Post
Lye ... all soap has lye in it, although OxiClean isn't really a soap, but an oxegen bleach.
In soap it's all been reacted with the oil and the excess is washed away. So while lye is an ingredient, there isn't any lye in soap.
#6 of 23 Old 05-21-2009, 01:01 AM

The sun is amazing! It can fade bright colors if they are out there too long, but if you have a stain on white clothing, or something light, hang it damp or wet, in the sun.
#7 of 23 Old 05-21-2009, 12:40 PM

I used to use the Oxyclean spray, but they changed their formula recently & I didn't like the new scent. I figured the hydrogen peroxide is probably the active ingredient, so I've switched to that. It works about as well as the spray always did. It's cheap, too, so I just buy several bottles from the grocery store/pharmacy/target/bj's and keep them in my laundry area. I pour the contents into a large spray bottle so I can spot-treat.
#8 of 23 Old 05-22-2009, 01:17 PM

I use this -

http://www.oxyboost.com/products/oxy_boost.html

Feel free to educate me if I am wrong but I switched to this after learning it was the active ingredient in Oxyclean but without the fillers and scent, making it a concentrated version of Oxyclean.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#9 of 23 Old 05-22-2009, 01:20 PM

I used to use oxyclean. Two caveats...if you let it dry in clothes they will just shred. And my hands developed a skin problem after using it extensively.
#10 of 23 Old 05-22-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post
I use this -

Feel free to educate me if I am wrong but I switched to this after learning it was the active ingredient in Oxyclean but without the fillers and scent, making it a concentrated version of Oxyclean.
Does it work well for you? It looks interesting and I'd love to know how effective it is?

I am always on the hunt for something to use on grass stains and really (!) ground in dirt. In the past soaking in Borax for a day or two has helped.
#11 of 23 Old 05-22-2009, 02:22 PM

I love Oxyclean and have no real concerns using it. I use Borax as well, and honestly, I worry more about having Boras in the house. My understanding is that it's pretty poisonous.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#12 of 23 Old 06-27-2009, 04:19 PM

straight plain oxiclean is 40% sodium percarbonate and the rest is surfactants and scent and other inert ingredients. sodium percarbonate is an adduct of sodium carbonate aka washing soda and hydrogen peroxide. when dissolved in water you get the two. neither are particularly toxic at the amounts we're talking about for laundry.

it's IMO a great choice. borax is ok too though it can be toxic in large doses. iirc, borax has the same LD50 as table salt heh.

I'm very interested in oxyboost because it seems that oxyclan is a waste of money if all you want is the sodium percarbonate. thanks for that link PP!
#13 of 23 Old 06-27-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymommy View Post
So, how bad do you think that is? And is there a good alternative? We personally don't use any stain removers or whitening agents other than some baking soda in the white wash. Somehow, our clothes look fine. But I know many other families have loads of messy stains that they need help with. What can I suggest to her?
I dont think its bad. Infact I think its a good choice to use, particularly instead of using bleach.
#14 of 23 Old 06-27-2009, 11:44 PM

I was under the impression that you could pay a lot for oxyclean, OR you could just use Borax. Which is basically oxyclean, without the Billy Mays commercials.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#15 of 23 Old 06-28-2009, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is so funny, cuz I was just getting on here to ask this very same question!!
I use the oxi-clean free and clear so I'm hoping it really is just the basic ingredients. Anyone know? I read somewhere that oxi-clean has chlorine in it and I was mortified and then I saw a commercial for it that said it was chlorine free. I really hope that is true.
I'm super crunchy and use all natural/organic everything, except oxi-clean cuz I really like my whites and lights to not be dingy as well as everything to be stain free. I was thinking about switching to peroxide cuz it's probably cheaper, but haven't yet.

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#16 of 23 Old 06-28-2009, 10:31 AM

Oxyclean tests on animals, in case you care about that.
#17 of 23 Old 06-28-2009, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Awww bummer!
Well the bottom of the bucket is near. My bottle of Peroxide will now be getting the oxi-clean buckets spot on the laundry shelf.
Here's a link on peroxide uses if anyone's interested...
http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/index.html

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#18 of 23 Old 04-08-2012, 09:28 AM

I do care about animal testing - so what to use that is not tested on animals besides oxyclean?   Am also interested in a spot cleaner for carpets - I think Resolve is tested on animals.

#19 of 23 Old 04-11-2012, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)

My coop stocks a brand called OxoBrite made by Earth Friendly products, and it claims that it is not tested on animals.  

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#20 of 23 Old 04-12-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post

I use this -

I use this too.  I do not want all the fillers that are in Oxyclean.  It is pricey but I think it is totally worth it if you can afford it. I usually order multiple containers a coupletimesayear, when I can find it on sale, to save a bit.  I have used Biokleen oxygen bleach and another bulk one they have at my coop, as well as liquid hydrogen peroxide and Borax.  IMO Oxyboost is the best of all of them.  I do think you need to follow their directions for the best perfomance.  I don't think it does much if you just put it in with your detergent for a regula cycle.  I prefer to start a load at night with the Oxyboost, let it agitate, then let it soak overnight.  In the morning I add a little detergent and finish the cycle.  This is a once in awhile when I notice things looking dingy kind of thing - like I said before, I don't use it every time.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

#21 of 23 Old 04-12-2012, 02:05 PM

never mind

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#22 of 23 Old 04-17-2012, 09:23 PM

We use biokleen oxygen bleach plus. it also has grapefruit seed extract in it. It's not tested on animals. I use it for carpets, too. Chlorine free and color safe.

wash.gif

gl

hth

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

#23 of 23 Old 02-16-2014, 03:30 PM

Hi Julie, 

I came across your post when reading about the safety of Oxy Clean and saw your comment about Borax.  We are soapers and have people ask questions about it all the time, often they are confusing it with Boric Acid which is hydrogen borate and quite caustic and dangerous.  Borax, or sodium borate, is a salt and generally safe.  Hope that helps in your decision to use Borax in the future!

Josh ******

Terra Body

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page