For those who do not use paper towels... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 03-06-2010, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sora View Post
Don't you guys think it would be as costly to run a washer to wash all the clothes as buying kitchen towels and toilet paper?
nope, not at all! And it's not just about cost savings either. It really doesn't add that much extra laundry. Often it just goes in with a load of towels. Even if they take a whole load it is still a savings for us.

Say a load of laundry cost us $5 (which it doesn't, not even close). If we filled up that load with all our kitchen rags, we have enough that would last us 3 weeks, easily. That would be around $1.70/ week. We used to go through about a roll per week. I don't usually find paper towels for less than $2/ roll so we are coming out way ahead. Does that make sense?
#32 of 39 Old 03-06-2010, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have been paper towel free for a couple of years and it is wonderful! You never ever run out! We also generally don't buy kleenex- but I did get 2 boxes this winter when we all had runny noses (not enough hankies). Mine aren't fancy- just kitchen rags. When we are done with diapers it will be microfiber clothes and pfs. The dirty ones I just throw in wash machine with whatever load is washing (we are a farm family- so there is always laundry going) or I have a bucket in my pantry. I don't think it adds any to our laundry- although I do bleach them all probably every 2 months- so that is an extra load.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#33 of 39 Old 03-06-2010, 02:35 PM

I use a brush for the toilet and 'bar mops' for the rest of my cleaning needs. They are just dish towels. When they get dirty, I throw them in the wash. It seems like I go through more per day than the other mamas on here (at least 3....6 or 7 if I'm really cleaning). I probably have at least 70 or so. When they get really really worn out, I toss them.

I also have some old white t-shirts I cut up to clean glass (the don't leave lint)/

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#34 of 39 Old 03-06-2010, 03:43 PM

nak

We're switching to cloth for paper towels. We have a motley assortment of tea towels, old wash rags, cloth napkins, & 3/$1 dishrags & dishtowels from the grocery store. For kleenex we use baby washcloths. Hubby still uses paper towels sometimes, so we go through maybe a roll a month.

I wash them in hot with towels & cloth diapers (we're 50/50 cloth/sposies) with Borax & soapnuts and rinse with vinegar.

For the toilet, I use a brush & 7th generation toilet cleaner.

Recently switched to a Diva Cup. LOVE it! Making some cloth mama pads is somewhere on my list of things to do... maybe this year!

My Mom was here for two weeks when the baby was born. She kept asking for napkins. I kept handing her a rag and saying "We use cloth for napkins" She bought herself paper napkins from the store. The day before she left I overheard her saying to herself, "Oh! They use CLOTH for napkins!!"

I think reusing cloth is cheaper than buying paper towels & better for the enviroment. Even with washing them. To make a paper towel you hafta cut down a tree. Cotton/hemp/bamboo are more renewable.

Learning & growing & changing everyday!
#35 of 39 Old 03-06-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sora View Post
Don't you guys think it would be as costly to run a washer to wash all the clothes as buying kitchen towels and toilet paper?
Not at all. We can go through a 24 pack of TP in under a month - and that's mostly me peeing. When I use cloth (pee only), a 24 pack can last us closer to 4 mos. Paper towels we used to go through about a roll a week. Now it's a roll every 6 mos. And yet if I take all my kitchen and bathroom cloth together in a pile, it doesn't equal 1 load of laundry. So I add the bath towels and the hand towels from the bathroom, sheets, diapers or whatever else I'm washing (on hot - so not with clothes). All of my cloth together (dish rags, family cloth, napkins, hankies, etc.) don't even equal 1/3 of a load.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#36 of 39 Old 03-06-2010, 05:16 PM

We use cut-up old t-shirts, some diapers that have ceased to be butt-worthy, and kitchen washcloths. We have a hamper bag that hangs over the door to our washer/dryer closet (which happens to be just off the kitchen) that we throw them in when they've been used.

We currently have two rolls of paper towels that a friend brought over when she hosted a party at our house (long story). We're using them mostly as butt-wipes for DS. Compared to an old rag, they just don't hold up for household tasks. Scrubbing carpet, particularly, you need something a little more durable for.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#37 of 39 Old 03-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Banned

i use cloth rags (wash cloths) and 'tea towels' for the kitchen and cloth rag and a scrub brush for the bathroom.

the wash days are organized along with the cleaning days. so, for example, monday is the wash day for the bathroom, and so the towels, floor towel, and cleaning rags are laundered that day in the hot wash that i do to wash the baby's trainers (they get a hot wash--all of them--once a week). that's a full load and i do it right after i wash the bathroom. that sanitizes the rag. when we get family cloth online, i will also do those in this load.

kitchen scrub day is friday. throughout the week, i use a dish rag, and then for spills, i have a rag that we wash out after each use and let dry. if it's a big mess, then i rinse the rag and let it dry and then put it in a laundry basket to be cleaned on friday when i do the bedding and kitchen rags.

i might divide the family cloth into the two washes--one on monday and one on friday. middle of the week is dusting/sweeping, and all cold-wash laundry.
#38 of 39 Old 03-06-2010, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
For spills that include both liquid/food and broken glass I use old clothes that need to be tossed (too stained, torn, thread bare, etc). That was the only thing I was hanging onto paper towels for. (We have at least 4 broken items a week. I guess my kids are sloppy eaters. or perhaps we do get a little wild at meal times!)

I drain tofu on my regular kitchen towels. I'll put latkes and other oily things on the regular kitchen towels also.

I don't use the same cloths for kitchen cleaning that I use in bathrooms or floors. But they do get washed together.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#39 of 39 Old 03-07-2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post
I don't use the same cloths for kitchen cleaning that I use in bathrooms or floors. But they do get washed together.
You know that sort of thing is really my bane. We have certain wash days. We are restricted by our water and solar, so it happens when it happens. Diapers and FC are kept separate, but everything else gets jumbled together more often than I would like it to. Not really an issue in the summer. But boy, in the winter...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page