For those who do not use paper towels... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you use to clean your kitchen with? Where do you keep them and what do you do with them when they are dirty?

Also What do you use to clean your toilets?
#2 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 02:33 PM

washcloths and dish towels for all cleaning needs, have 2 dozen busted pf's for awful jobs

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#3 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 05:15 PM

I use Skoy cloths, microfiber cloths and birdseye flat diapers for cleaning. With the microfiber you don't even need any cleanser for glass or surfaces, just use water. I keep the skoys on the back of the kitchen sink, the birdseye folded in a stack on the microwave (where the roll of paper towels USED to be ). The microfiber cloths I keep in a cupboard with my dishtowels.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#4 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 07:08 PM

I use microfiber cloths that I buy from Costco. We keep them in a hall closet until we need them. We usually have a few in one of our kitchen drawers. We have a mesh bag in the laundry room that we toss them in when they are dirty.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#5 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 10:53 PM

Tea towels, dish cloths, flat cloth diapers, cloth hankies, cloth tp or face cloths. It depends on what job it is or what spilled.

I have a toilet brush. I clean it with baking soda and vinegar.
#6 of 39 Old 05-21-2009, 01:23 PM

We have lots of rags (old baby washcloths, cut up towels, etc) that we use for pretty much anything including any dirty wipe ups, wiping down the cast iron frying pans, etc. We have old towles we use for big spills. For cleaning bathrooms, countertops, table top, etc, we use our Norwex microfibre cleaning cloths that disinfect w/out cleaning agents. For the toilet I use their toilet brush system which has natural ingredients. For windows we use the Norwex window cloth w/ a spray bottle of water. (No, I don't sell Norwex, just love it.)
#7 of 39 Old 05-21-2009, 02:07 PM

We just have a miscellaneous collection of cloths - washcloths, dish towels, a few rags, some cloth napkins, even cloth hankies and fluffy hand towels. It works well for us because there's always the right cloth for the job, whether just wiping up a little spill or soaking up a big one, or cleaning or drying dishes or whatever.

We store them in a drawer in the kitchen. I have some extras on a shelf over the washing machine (also in the kitchen).

I clean the inside of the toilet with a toilet brush. I wipe the seat and handle and so on with one of the abovementioned rags.

For mildly dirty cloths (like from wiping down the counter or whatever) I just toss in the laundry pile, no biggie. For cloths that are kind of gross from heavy cleaning I toss right into the washer to wait for the next load, so it doesn't stink anything up in the meantime . I don't use cloth for picking up cat puke; I draw the line there. Toilet paper is used for that.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#8 of 39 Old 05-22-2009, 03:21 AM

We have a huge stack of white rags that we use for everything - the toilet, napkins, wiping the table, DD's messy hands. I just give them a super washing every few days and we are good to go. I have a small basket on our washing machine that I toss dirty ones in. It helps that our washing machine is in our kitchen, otherwise I would probably keep a bucket under the sink for them. I bought them in a big pack from Costco.

: 10/06 : 10/09
#9 of 39 Old 05-22-2009, 09:49 AM

I keep a wicker laundry basket in the kitchen, it's right next to the recycling bin. It doesn't clutter things up too much. We use tea towels from ikea that I get for 59cents each. They're perfect. I keep a stack on the counter, and the main storage is in a wire bin in our hall closet, just around the corner from the kitchen.

Mama to twin boys, Oct-'09 and baby girl, Apri-'12!

#10 of 39 Old 05-22-2009, 11:08 AM

I use Microfiber towels and Towels Called Bar towels. Also I used Dish cloths For washing the dishes. I also have a few large hand towels for things like pulling out hot food and things. I never really liked pot holders or oven mitts. I just throw them in with bath towels if there not to dirty. If they are really dirty I will Save them up and do a seperate load. For Toilets I have a few rags I use in the bathroom. I start by cleaning the bathrub then the sinks then the toilet i wash last with The rag. After that rinse it out very well and throw it in a hot wash with towels. If its really bad I might throw it away because they are the rags to begin with.

Kim: Wife To Colby. Mommy To DS1 Christopher and DS2 Bradly. :
#11 of 39 Old 05-27-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshundqueen View Post
washcloths and dish towels for all cleaning needs, have 2 dozen busted pf's for awful jobs

Liz
: - it works really well for us
#12 of 39 Old 05-27-2009, 09:08 PM

I have several dozen dish towels that I keep in a kitchen drawer and use for all kitchen messes. When they are dirty I throw them on the floor if I'm in a rush and then once or twice a day pick up and collect in a towel only hamper - I usually wash on hot rather than the cold cycle I use for clothes.

I also have sponges/beat up rags kept under the sink for cleaning bathroom as well as nice baby wipes for use instead of toilet paper.

I do keep a roll of paper towels in the back closet to be used for the rare nasty job like dog puke.
#13 of 39 Old 05-28-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post
We just have a miscellaneous collection of cloths - washcloths, dish towels, a few rags, some cloth napkins, even cloth hankies and fluffy hand towels. It works well for us because there's always the right cloth for the job, whether just wiping up a little spill or soaking up a big one, or cleaning or drying dishes or whatever.

We store them in a drawer in the kitchen. I have some extras on a shelf over the washing machine (also in the kitchen).

I clean the inside of the toilet with a toilet brush. I wipe the seat and handle and so on with one of the abovementioned rags.

For mildly dirty cloths (like from wiping down the counter or whatever) I just toss in the laundry pile, no biggie. For cloths that are kind of gross from heavy cleaning I toss right into the washer to wait for the next load, so it doesn't stink anything up in the meantime . I don't use cloth for picking up cat puke; I draw the line there. Toilet paper is used for that.

:
same goes for cat puke...yuck
#14 of 39 Old 05-28-2009, 09:07 AM

what are pf's?
#15 of 39 Old 05-28-2009, 10:01 AM

I have about 30 microfiber dishcloths, and about the same in dish towels. They're constantly getting used! I also use older dish towels.

For rags I have a stash of ratty old dish cloths/old t-shirts cut up. It works really well to use the rags for the yucky jobs.
#16 of 39 Old 05-28-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianthistle View Post
what are pf's?
PF stands for prefold, a type of cloth diaper that is a multi-layered rectangle of cotton. Very absorbent and durable with many uses!

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#17 of 39 Old 05-28-2009, 03:28 PM

Sponge and a toilet bowl brush.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#18 of 39 Old 05-29-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleyp View Post
I have several dozen dish towels that I keep in a kitchen drawer and use for all kitchen messes. When they are dirty I throw them on the floor if I'm in a rush and then once or twice a day pick up and collect in a towel only hamper - I usually wash on hot rather than the cold cycle I use for clothes.

I also have sponges/beat up rags kept under the sink for cleaning bathroom as well as nice baby wipes for use instead of toilet paper.

I do keep a roll of paper towels in the back closet to be used for the rare nasty job like dog puke.
I too have a pile of dirty cloths in the kitchen floor. Hate it, but that's how it is.
#19 of 39 Old 06-23-2009, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
For cleaning the kitchen sink, counters, etc. I use the previous dishcloth; then I get out a clean dishcloth to wash dishes with. These are the cotton waffle-weave cloths. Clean ones are in a kitchen drawer. Dirty ones hang on a hook in the basement stairwell until dry, then go into the laundry bag hanging on that hook, and I pull them out of there on my way downstairs with a load of laundry.

Our kitchen towels are mostly the cotton "flour sack" type. They typically rotate from clean (in same drawer as dishcloths) to dish towel (on a hook high above the dish drainer so guests don't use it as a hand towel) to hand towel to wiping up a spill to dirty (as above).

For cleaning the stovetop, EnviroDaddy uses a sponge with attached scouring pad. We get Natural Value brand which is made with recycled plastic.

I clean toilets with a handful of baking soda, squirt of Bi-O-Kleen Bac-Out, and a toilet brush.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#20 of 39 Old 06-24-2009, 05:03 PM
mlh

Just like other's we just use rags and wash them when they are dirty. We store them in a drawer in the kitchen. I love my hemp knit rags for cleaning off counters and tables, but have some heavier ones for bigger messes. I also recently knitted some half hemp, half cotton wash rags that work wonderfully! For toilets we use rags and one of those toilet bowl cleaner brush wand thingys. No need for paper towels, but I do have a stash in a cabinet for oil clean ups (olive oil, etc.). For some reason I have a hard time using cloth to clean up oil spills.

: Hip Mountain Mama Natural and unique products from a small family business:Blog
Mama to Magnolia and Sienna Raynebow
#21 of 39 Old 06-24-2009, 08:40 PM

Here's what we use since we don't use any disposable items such as paper towels and napkins.

-cloth napkins
-old cloth napkins for oil messes/draining food, etc.
-cloth and knit/crochet dish rags
-old/retired dish rags and shower wash rags are used for pet messes, cleaning toilets, floors, etc. (pet mess rags are washed with family cloth, or on their own if they've been sick)
-cloth towels for drying in the kitchen (we even cut down and serge retired bath towels for this purpose)

Nothing goes to waste....a rag has to be really really far gone to be disposed of.

I keep a simple line of twine hung in my wash room to hang wet dish rags and such so that they don't mildew while they wait for wash day and also to keep from attracting bugs.

Rags/towels that are used for icky things like cleaning the bathroom, etc. are kept separate from things like our shower washrags and kitchen cloth. We just keep a pile in our wash room cupboard.

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :
#22 of 39 Old 07-02-2009, 11:23 PM

In the kitchen I use tea towels, cloth napkins and Unpaper Towels. I make wetbags for hanging on the stove or drawer handle.

In the bathroom we have family cloth (Un-tp) and also have a wet bag that is used until they go to the laundry room into the former diaper pail. And two ply woven hankies for nose duty.

I use a bowl brush for the toilet.

MB, mama to three, soulmate to one, pioneering cloth to many since 2002!
#23 of 39 Old 07-02-2009, 11:32 PM

ok instead of paper towels i have a huge stack of kitchen wash rags. they are cheap colored rags from wal mart. i have white ones for the bathroom. i use them for everything. counters, tables, cat puke etc. they are in stacks on the shelf above my sink. i have like 20 clean at a time. the bathroom ones are on the shelf next to the towels. i use a dry pail like for the dipes. it is the exact same garbage can as the dipes one but a different color. 30 gal. i put all rags and towels in there. then i wash a cold rinse, hot wash with detergent, and a cold rinse with vinegar. come out great. clean, dont stink, no stains, even with using them on cat puke, and DD accidents. the hot water wash kills the bacteria.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#24 of 39 Old 07-06-2009, 03:24 PM

i would love to cut out paper towels!

but are you more concerned with reducing waste or saving money?

isn't washing with hot water or more cycles or more often just as expensive as buying paper towels? or are you just wanting to go greener?

this is my concern for cloth diapers as well

thanks

I'm Kelly, Mom to Merryn 7/28/08 and twins Luke & Thad born 9/26/2011
Can It Get Any Better Than This? Well, I guess it just did!joy.gif

#25 of 39 Old 07-12-2009, 11:59 PM

I bought the Skoy cloth from Zoom Baby Gear above after reading this thread. I just received it last week. I'm using it in the kitchen. It doesn't scrub at all, but it's great to wipe the surfaces, better than sponges or dish cloths for that. I have always used cloths for cleaning, but this is good with very wet stuff. I go through 2 rolls of paper towel a year.

Mom to 4 Boys
#26 of 39 Old 07-20-2009, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merryns.mom View Post

isn't washing with hot water or more cycles or more often just as expensive as buying paper towels? or are you just wanting to go greener?

thanks
It's complicated just like anything else and it's great to think about the drawbacks as well. Every "green" option has its pros and cons. Recycling uses loads of energy but I still feel like it is better then throwing those resources in the landfill.
I think it is really essential to think about all the factors involved but I don't think that it should stop you from giving it a try.
Making paper takes a crazy amount of water (something like a gallon per sheet, not including the water used to grow the tree), so for every paper towel you use, you have already consumed a lot of water.
From my understanding, it's not really the water that you see being used in a day that is drying up the reservoirs, but it's all the water consumed in producing the things that you use and eat.

You also have to factor in where you water comes from. My water comes from a river that is less then a quarter mile from my house. It is micro-filtrated and then comes directly to my faucet. Our grey water leaches back into the river. I might feel differently about the extra laundry if I was living in the dessert.

We use dishcloths and wash cloths for everything that we used to use paper towels for. It adds about an extra load of laundry per week (or maybe every 2 weeks) and uses 2-3 gallons of water plus detergent and electricity.

We don't have control over the places where paper companies get their water or electricity, but we do at our own homes. I see that as a big advantage.

I'm not really sure how the energy/consumption really comes out. To me it seems like we are way ahead of the paper towels but it is complicated! Consumption aside, I think it is good to get away from the trash mentality and try reusing what you have. It has given me such a better idea of how much we still use even when we are trying to get to zero trash.

Also, it's fun to hand someone a piece of cloth when they ask for a paper towel and they look at you like you have 4 eyes
#27 of 39 Old 07-20-2009, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We use a combo of wash cloths, dish cloths and old rags. I sewed loops on all of the kitchen towels so that they are distinguishable from the "good" washcloths and they can hang on a hook in the kitchen. They go in a bucket under the sink when they are dirty and waiting to be washed.

I use a standard toilet brush when I do clean my toilet, which is not often
#28 of 39 Old 07-22-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merryns.mom View Post

thanks
I agree with everything Toolip said. And wanted to add that it is some pretty fancy marketing the disposable corporations use to convince us that it takes more water to maintain an item then it does to make an item. Those studies which prove disposables are as green as cloth were all done by folks with a vested interest in selling disposable products.
Not to mention the chemicals you expose your family to with disposable products.
Not to mention that cloth just plain works so much better then disposable products.
Not to mention that cloth is so much softer and nicer to be around.

That said we do have disposable toilet paper in my house, (and I do occasionally use it to clean up cat poop!) for everything else I have a great supply of rags. For oily jobs I pick one at the end of its life and pitch it if needed. Otherwise rags are rags and they all wash up clean with minimal effort and water.

Smiles,
Inge
#29 of 39 Old 03-05-2010, 10:33 PM

Don't you guys think it would be as costly to run a washer to wash all the clothes as buying kitchen towels and toilet paper?
#30 of 39 Old 03-06-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2tng View Post
I agree with everything Toolip said. And wanted to add that it is some pretty fancy marketing the disposable corporations use to convince us that it takes more water to maintain an item then it does to make an item. Those studies which prove disposables are as green as cloth were all done by folks with a vested interest in selling disposable products.
Not to mention the chemicals you expose your family to with disposable products.
Not to mention that cloth just plain works so much better then disposable products.
Not to mention that cloth is so much softer and nicer to be around.

That said we do have disposable toilet paper in my house, (and I do occasionally use it to clean up cat poop!) for everything else I have a great supply of rags. For oily jobs I pick one at the end of its life and pitch it if needed. Otherwise rags are rags and they all wash up clean with minimal effort and water.

Smiles,
Inge
ITA! Remember that the companies that make disposable whatever (diapers, menstrual pads, tissues, ...) will need a lot of water and electricity in the process (especially for the night shift LOL), plus plastic products for wrapping plus extra-absorbent whatever (I'm not a chemist) in the case of diapers and menstrual pads.

I just switched to familiy cloth (FC) for myself and often for my younger children, and I replaced the paper towels in the kitchen with former towels, cut up in rectangles. (Dish rags, dish cloths and cleaning cloths were in use anyway before that.) Last summer, I switched to a diva cup for myself (before that I used tampons) which actually saves me laundry as I have a lot fewer stains than before. I still use washable menstrual pads for the light flow towards the end of my period (and have been doing so for the past 12 years.)

Counting in that my "paper towels" would otherwise have ended in the trash (or maybe in the garage for oily jobs) I don't feel that I'm wasting water or anything here. Even the FC isn't an extra load of laundry, it just "fills the gaps" when I wash towels.

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page