How many loads - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 90 Old 06-01-2009, 03:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Woah, these numbers are much, much higher than I expected. It's just me and toddler ds. I do maybe a load a week, sometimes two if its been a particularly messy/eventful week. Never more than that.
Quote:
I thought this would turn into a pseudo competition of who does the least laundry, but I can't imagine doing even 4 loads a week, nevermind 10 or 15. Seems a bit unnecessary and excessive. I do understand that there will be more laundry for CDing parents, but still, 15 loads a week! How many times are clean clothes re-worn. Does *everything* go in the wash after one wearing, regardless of what it is? I wonder what percentage of these are line-dried.
Trust me, it's necessary! DH and I have no problems wearing clothes for a few days as long as they remain clean and sweet-smelling - they just never do! The baby is constantly smearing food on us, wiping a grubby face on us, wiping a runny nose on us and occasionally soaking through a nappy on us; and her clothes fare no better, for obvious reasons. We probably could cut down on some laundry by being more careful with bibs and aprons, but that wouldn't help with 70% of the problem. Add towels and sheets into the mix (we have big towels, so one towel will take up half a load), tea towels and so on, and the loads go up dramatically. We do line dry (well, clothes-horse dry inside, in the baby's room with the dehumidifier on).

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#62 of 90 Old 06-01-2009, 03:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Average of 6 loads a week for clothes. That includes linens, kitchen towels, and cleaning rags. We don't wash unless it got sweaty and/or looks or smells dirty. (Of course undies get washed daily!!) It helps that my dd's have to put away the clean laundry now, so they are not eager to add to the pile. My dds wear school uniforms during the week.

I don't line dry anymore because of allergies. I found it great when I was using cloth diapers for my kids, because the stains got out really well. I just can't line dry our clothing because of pollen allergies, which we have nearly year-round here.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#63 of 90 Old 06-01-2009, 03:33 AM

I think some of it could be the size of the washing machine too.

when our last machine broke down (it was a 5kg) we upgraded to a larger size and went for a 7.5kg and went from washing every day (or 2 loads if nappies needed washing) to every 2nd.

We also tend to rewear clothes that aren't dirty or smelly. For the kids, it would be rare to be able to have them wear the same clothes 2 days in a row though so that doesn't happen often (and a lot of times they go through 2 sets if they get wet or excessively dirty).

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#64 of 90 Old 06-01-2009, 04:18 AM

:

"Love Is Something Eternal, The Aspect My Change, But Not The Essence"
#65 of 90 Old 06-01-2009, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
15-20, I would say. Maybe closer to 15. But I do at least 1 or 2 loads a day and then several all day long on Saturday and Sunday.

It's just 4 people and the dogs, but I change my boys' clothes probably 3 times a day, between food spills and sandbox/play time... and then jammies so that's 4 outfits a day... plus dh's work clothes, and then his "home" clothes... my clothes get washed the least! Actually *I* get washed the least! LOL

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#66 of 90 Old 06-01-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post
my clothes get washed the least! Actually *I* get washed the least! LOL
LOL! Me too! A lot of times I'll only have one or two things in a load and the rest is my dh's and kids'.

I'd say I average 7 loads a week (one a day), family of four, no more diapers. Sometimes it's only 3-4 loads a week. But sometimes it's more than 7 (especially if we have a rash of bedwetting...like last week .

Everything is line-dried, we don't own a dryer! But we live in the ideal climate for it and can line dry outside year-round. I do have mild seasonal allergies, but I don't think line-drying makes them worse (we don't have refrigerated air, so anything that's outside is inside anyway).

So all you minimal laundry people want to share your tips? I can't figure out how I could minimize our laundry any more than it already is. Dh and I re-wear pants until they look too bad to wear. And I have my kids re-wear pants and shirts as long as they look okay (I spot clean them a lot). And we all sleep in our underwear, so we aren't adding jammies to the pile.

ETA: mom0810, one of my sons also has the birthdate 12/2/05!
#67 of 90 Old 06-01-2009, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Basic rule of thumb is one load per person plus sheets plus towels. How often diapers are washed depends on how many cds you have, how many in cd, and how many the diaper pail holds. I only washed diapers every 5-7 days. But I had 4-7 dozen diapers and a pail that held 4 dozen at a time. And usually had only one in dc at a time. Joy has 2 in diapers, has 2 1/2 dozen diapers and the pail only holds 2 dozen at a time. So she washes diapers 2-3 times a week. I used a wet pail and Joy uses a dry pail which also makes a difference. We use about 4-5 bath towels every 2 days from the main bath room and 2 towels a week from the master bath. Change the kitchen towels daily. Sheets get washed more often in the summer than in the winter--one CA king, one queen, one twin and 2 toddler beds. And hang as much on the line as possible. Only the toddler sheets fit on the line; the other sheets go in the dryer. The clothes line isn't high enough nor wide enough for the larger sheets.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#68 of 90 Old 06-01-2009, 11:56 AM

2 adults, 1 preschooler, 1 school aged child, 1 baby, 2 in cloth diapers. 6 a week. 1-2 loads of diapers and about 4 loads of regular laundry.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#69 of 90 Old 06-01-2009, 12:22 PM

We have a family of 4. I'd say I or DH does about 3-4/week. Including dipes.

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#70 of 90 Old 06-01-2009, 12:36 PM

Clothes:

-darks weekly
-whites weekly
-light colors weekly
-diapers 2x weekly
-cat towels 1x monthly
-dishcloths/towels biweekly
-sheets biweekly
-towels biweekly

So, I'd say it's 6-7 loads per week.

Family of 6!

We do reuse towels, etc. btw.

I'm sitting here trying to imagine doing 14 loads a week.

I think I'd go insane.

And, if something is lightly worn, we do rewear it. I might even wear the same thing 2 days in a row. And, definitely with pants. I'm likely to even wear the same shorts a few days in a row. Am I weird? LOL. And, baby wears the same outfits for a few days in a row sometimes too.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#71 of 90 Old 06-01-2009, 09:52 PM

Well I'm at the top of the number, if you look back. Those of you who are "shocked" at the numbers on "a natural family living board" please note if you have 3 yr olds their clothes are little and you can get a bunch in one load. and if you have one of the front loading washers. For those like me with a teenage boy who wears the same size or bigger than his 6'2" dad, a 11 yr old boy who mows lawns for money all summer and a 8 yr old boy who loves his chickens, horse, pigs, ducks, etc. And have an average sized washer. Its really unrealistic to compare from family to family. It depends on ages, sizes, where you live, etc. And no mine arent hung out to dry. My son and I suffered miserably the summer we had no dryer due to allergies. btdt never again.
#72 of 90 Old 06-01-2009, 10:13 PM

Yeah, washer size makes a big difference. We have a relatively small one, as it is all we can fit (odd size room... 2 1/2' by 6' maybe? The wash and dryer are facing each other and there is just enough room to open the dryer door between them).
#73 of 90 Old 06-01-2009, 10:28 PM

Family of three, one toddler part-time in cloth dipes

1 dark load, 1 light load per week, sometimes an extra load of towels/sheets = 2-3 loads per week. I cannot even imagine doing 14 loads of laundry per week!

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

#74 of 90 Old 06-02-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz View Post
Well I'm at the top of the number, if you look back. Those of you who are "shocked" at the numbers on "a natural family living board" please note if you have 3 yr olds their clothes are little and you can get a bunch in one load. and if you have one of the front loading washers. For those like me with a teenage boy who wears the same size or bigger than his 6'2" dad, a 11 yr old boy who mows lawns for money all summer and a 8 yr old boy who loves his chickens, horse, pigs, ducks, etc. And have an average sized washer. Its really unrealistic to compare from family to family. It depends on ages, sizes, where you live, etc. And no mine arent hung out to dry. My son and I suffered miserably the summer we had no dryer due to allergies. btdt never again.
:

i too have older kids (which i included in my previous post) and as i stated before, i wash mine and dh's clothing separate from the kids as our clothing is expensive and i don't feel the need to replace stuff because it's not being washed on the correct setting, or because the kids muddy clothing ruins something of ours. i do have a nice sized front load set, but i still separate quite a bit.......and if i didn't, i would still equal the "smaller loads" numbers on here as my loads are much smaller. it's not excessive or wasteful when your washer only uses as much water as needed and only runs as long as the setting requires, and the dryer only runs until the heat sensor shows it's dry. we have energy star units that are very efficient and probably use less water and electricity for all my loads than an older set uses for fewer loads.

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#75 of 90 Old 06-02-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
Trust me, it's necessary! DH and I have no problems wearing clothes for a few days as long as they remain clean and sweet-smelling - they just never do! The baby is constantly smearing food on us, wiping a grubby face on us, wiping a runny nose on us and occasionally soaking through a nappy on us; and her clothes fare no better, for obvious reasons. We probably could cut down on some laundry by being more careful with bibs and aprons, but that wouldn't help with 70% of the problem. Add towels and sheets into the mix (we have big towels, so one towel will take up half a load), tea towels and so on, and the loads go up dramatically. We do line dry (well, clothes-horse dry inside, in the baby's room with the dehumidifier on).

This. My oldest son is autistic and cognitive delayed and is 6.5 yrs old. He is potty trained now but he still has lots and lots of accidents. He can wet his pants 2x an afternoon (nevermind the fact that even when he does make it to the potty he has problems wiping/ect -- so if I don't catch him in time -- I may just need to give him a shower and new pair of clothes!) My youngest is still a toddler and gets dirty easily (and is still in diapers) and we use cloth a lot here -- cloth wipes/kitchen wipes/towels/diapers which just adds more loads -- exponentially -- the more kids you have (especially young kids), IMO.
#76 of 90 Old 06-02-2009, 10:26 AM

We are a family of three with a small top loading washer. I do an average of 3 loads a week. We use no paper products so that includes toilet wipes, napkins, kitchen and cleaning rags, etc..... When dd was still in cloth, that was 2 more small loads a week.

One load per week is all of the cloth plus all "dirty" whites like undies, t-shirts, and socks. I run the toilet cloth though an extra small hot rinse with soap before adding the rest of the whites. One load a week is for all other clothing. And the last load is actually the once a month 2-load job of all the bath towels and sheets and another once a month 2-load job of rugs, blankets, and misc. stuff.

I cannot imagine how I would ever keep up on laundry with the number of loads some people are reporting here! We 100% line dry and in the winter I have stuff on the inside lines all of the time with only the loads I do. It can take 48 hours for towels to dry!

I would not say we are very "clean" people but we all have a set of "play clothes" that we will wear all week no matter how dirty they get. Any time dd is going out to play she puts them on. Dh and I use them for yard work, cleaning, and anything else potentially dirty. Everything else we all wear can be worn over and over with just the stuff that touches skin (undies, socks, and t-shirts) being washed after each wearing. I have also been known to "spot wash" a lot of my clothing when dd was in the smeary phases of her childhood
#77 of 90 Old 06-02-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TearyCloud View Post
Woah, these numbers are much, much higher than I expected. It's just me and toddler ds. I do maybe a load a week, sometimes two if its been a particularly messy/eventful week. Never more than that.
Do you mind me asking how often you wash sheets, towels and bathmats? You must have at least seven shirts, seven bras, seven undies, one pair of adult bottoms, seven child tops, seven child bottoms, two towels, a bathmat and two sheets. Plus kitchen laundry. That's got to be more than one load? It must be if you were spending $45 a month on drying things. No dryer uses $11 of electricity for one load, does it?
#78 of 90 Old 06-02-2009, 01:40 PM

I know I answered pages ago but .... we have a bigger (I think) front loader washer but I still do at least a dozen loads most weeks. I'm actually shocked that others with similar sized families get by doing much less. I guess my kids are just messy, or something. I have sheets and other bedding, (including a favorite blankie that gets dragged around) 2-3 loads of diapers, 2-3 loads of towels (we are trying to get better about re-using, but still, we have 6 people!) DH's dress clothes for work (which I wash separately, I'd say 3 loads a week), PLUS my kids clothes which are often several outfits a day because they play outside in dirt, mud, water, etc., THen, maybe, maybe, I might throw in a couple things for myself so I at least have clean undies

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#79 of 90 Old 06-02-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicateflower View Post
Do you mind me asking how often you wash sheets, towels and bathmats? You must have at least seven shirts, seven bras, seven undies, one pair of adult bottoms, seven child tops, seven child bottoms, two towels, a bathmat and two sheets. Plus kitchen laundry. That's got to be more than one load? It must be if you were spending $45 a month on drying things. No dryer uses $11 of electricity for one load, does it?
I have a *huge* washer. I do all my sheets once a month (although I actually change them once a week). And I usually do towels once a month (but I change them whenever they feel icky).

I do have a lot of clothing (two walk in closets for just me; I have two jobs with very different dress codes). I have about 5 bras and 15-20 pairs of undies. I have five young nephews who live pretty close to me and I get all their hand me downs. DS has more clothes than any two kids need. Including jammas, he goes through about 12-14 outfits a week, I'd guess. But his clothes are pretty small and I can fit a bunch of my stuff in, too.

I work two jobs and I'm a full-time student and single parent. I've managed to distill everything in my life to a bare minimum.
#80 of 90 Old 06-02-2009, 11:13 PM

TearyCloud-seriously you let your towels seta month before washing them? no offense but yucky. mine would be moldy and mildewy.

we also have energy star washer although it isnt the HE one. As far as I know energy star dryers dont exist? correct?

I have to keep my loads to moderate level or all that nasty animal manure smell will still be there and the stains too.

We also have sheets that are two queens and one single. That is two loads right there, we only have one set per bed. Towels...three or four loads a week. jeans four loads. colors four loads. whites about three. pinks and reds one. well maybe im only at 18.
#81 of 90 Old 06-02-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz View Post
TearyCloud-seriously you let your towels seta month before washing them? no offense but yucky. mine would be moldy and mildewy.

we also have energy star washer although it isnt the HE one. As far as I know energy star dryers dont exist? correct?

I have to keep my loads to moderate level or all that nasty animal manure smell will still be there and the stains too.

We also have sheets that are two queens and one single. That is two loads right there, we only have one set per bed. Towels...three or four loads a week. jeans four loads. colors four loads. whites about three. pinks and reds one. well maybe im only at 18.
Yeah, I just don't really have time for an extra load. 35 hours of work, 15-ish hours of school, 20-ish hours of homework. I probably *would* do it more frequently, but there's no room for it. I don't notice any ick with the towels, and I'm extremely neurotic about that. Definitely no mold or stinkiness (I've asked others). They are completely dry when I toss them in the bin.

Agreeing with a pp that this question is extremely subjective. For instance, manure? Yeah, you won't find that around here, which I'm sure would take up a hell of a lot more laundry.
#82 of 90 Old 06-03-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
I have a *huge* washer. I do all my sheets once a month (although I actually change them once a week). And I usually do towels once a month (but I change them whenever they feel icky).

I do have a lot of clothing (two walk in closets for just me; I have two jobs with very different dress codes). I have about 5 bras and 15-20 pairs of undies. I have five young nephews who live pretty close to me and I get all their hand me downs. DS has more clothes than any two kids need. Including jammas, he goes through about 12-14 outfits a week, I'd guess. But his clothes are pretty small and I can fit a bunch of my stuff in, too.

I work two jobs and I'm a full-time student and single parent. I've managed to distill everything in my life to a bare minimum.
How do you fit two weeks worth of clothes for two people in one load? I know kids clothes are small, but 28 outfits, plus your 14 outfits must fill even the largest washer?
#83 of 90 Old 06-03-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah_Lee View Post
How many loads of laundry would you say your family has in a weeks time? and what size is your family.
For me it's about 14 loads a week, we are cloth diapering when at home and we are a family of 6.
4 loads... baby, me, dh, whites

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#84 of 90 Old 06-03-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:

lol you sound like me...

My washer must be huge b/c I change DD's outfit at least twice a day, plus jammies...and DH has two jobs so two outfits a day...

I think it has to be washer size that's making a dif on this thread.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#85 of 90 Old 06-03-2009, 03:15 AM

Wow, some of you do a lot of laundry! There's 5 of us, babe is partially cloth diapered, ds2 is mostly potty trained but has an occasional accident. I do about 2 loads a week. I should probably be doing 3-4, but with having to pay $4 a load, I just try to keep up with the worst of it & catch up with it all every so often.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#86 of 90 Old 06-03-2009, 06:18 AM

Definitely sounds like a machine size thing to me.

From some of the examples - a PP said her DH's work clothes for a week fills 3 loads over a week - that lot would fit in my machine with room to spare.

Someone else said their sheets off two double beds and one single was two loads - that would also fill one load for me.

So I don't think we can really compare numbers and be shocked over the large numbers of loads necessarily when machine size seems to make a huge difference to weekly numbers.

But then when I do my 3-4 loads a week I do fill the machine to the top and nothing is separated (except woollens in winter) - are some of those with high load numbers only partly filled machines perhaps?

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#87 of 90 Old 06-03-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
How do you fit two weeks worth of clothes for two people in one load? I know kids clothes are small, but 28 outfits, plus your 14 outfits must fill even the largest washer?
I said I do one-2 loads a week; Do the math.
#88 of 90 Old 06-03-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:

We have a super small washer and do no more than one load of clothing a week. Keeping in mind that none of the adults in the house have jobs that involve a lot of dirt, most of what we wear does not need to be washed daily. "7 outifts" for one adult for us means 7 pairs of undies, 2 pairs of smartwool socks (barefoot in summer), 7 undershirts, 1-2 bras, and a pair of jeans. And the jeans are a stretch. I only have 3 pairs and I am guessing each pair gets a monthly ride in the washer. Even dd only has about 2 pairs go in per week. We buy dark colored pants All sweaters, sweatshirts, dh's work shirts, and other overshirts are also seldom washed since they are worn over t-shirts anyway. I spot wash anything that got something dripped on it. clothes line space is at a premium in my house during the winter so conserving laundry is important.

On the towels, we often save ours for a once a month washing. As long as they are completely dry when they go in the hamper, there is no reason mold or mildew should grow. I have treated our towels this way for 12 years and we are still on our original wedding set to this day.
#89 of 90 Old 06-03-2009, 02:34 PM

2 adults 2 toddlers
8 loads per week including 1 in cloth diapers.

1 load of DH's work clothes, 1 load of jeans/darks, 1 load of colors, 1 load of whites, 2 loads of diapers and two loads of sheets/blankets. Maybe I'm weird, but since the kids and their pajamas are usually clean when they go to bed, I only wash bedding once a week.

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#90 of 90 Old 06-03-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
But then when I do my 3-4 loads a week I do fill the machine to the top and nothing is separated (except woollens in winter) - are some of those with high load numbers only partly filled machines perhaps?
I was wondering that too. I do mine the same way you do for most loads. If I didn't bring quite enough clothes to fill the machine, I usually don'r bother to go home to get more, though.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page