Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   The Mindful Home (http://www.mothering.com/forum/311-mindful-home/)
-   -   How many loads (http://www.mothering.com/forum/311-mindful-home/1088296-how-many-loads.html)

Sarah_Lee 05-22-2009 09:30 AM

How many loads of laundry would you say your family has in a weeks time? and what size is your family.
For me it's about 14 loads a week, we are cloth diapering when at home and we are a family of 6.

2xy 05-22-2009 09:34 AM

Four people in the family; no babies/toddlers so the clothes themselves are bigger and take up more room.

I guesstimate about ten loads.

velochic 05-22-2009 09:44 AM

We are 3 adults (my mother lives with us) and a 7yo dd - dd has school uniforms and the rest of us just wear mostly casual clothes even at work (dh is a professor and I work at a library). I do two loads of darks, one load of lights and one load of whites each week. We reuse our bath towels a few times and I change the hand and dish towels a couple times a week. We wear our pants more than once. Every couple of weeks, I have an extra load of sheets. Dd still co-sleeps, so that's just two beds - ours and my mothers. We probably do 18 loads of laundry per month which averages to a bit over 4 per week.

Kim Allen 05-22-2009 10:48 AM

Family of three, DH,2 yr DS, and I. We go through about 2 loads a day so 14 loads a week. It seems like a lot to me but that how much we use. Dh takes two showers a day and changes clothes twice a day. Ds is constantly going through clothes.also I didnt include but I wash diapers about every other day so theres another few loads.

Alyantavid 05-22-2009 10:54 AM

2 adults, 2 kids.

6-7. That's doing laundry twice a week and including the towel loads.

chel 05-22-2009 11:03 AM

5-6 loads a week for family of 3

Dh's work stuff is 2 loads/week
sheets are 1 load/w
casual stuff (including towels, cloth napkins, etc)2-3 loads/w

LionessMom 05-22-2009 11:03 AM

lets see. we are a fam of 6. 2 adults 4 kids. i in cloth diapers. i do a load of dipes every other day so 4 loads a week. i do me and DH (and DD)hamper every 3 days. so 3 loads a week. DSD and DFD hamper 2 x a week. then DS does 2 loads on mon and tues. then we have the towels and rage. bath towels are 1 load a week. rags etc (which get nasty and need a hot wash with extra borax so they go by themselves) are 2 loads a week. we really burn through them. so that adds up to me doing 12 loads a week and DS does 2 loads a week. wow thats alot. that is 14 loads a week. those are full loads too. i think we need to cut down on what we use. that is a lot of water and soap. water is included in our rent but it feels wasteful. esp considering that dipes and rags get hot water and an extra rinse or 2.

just read the other responses. i guess i am not too far out of the norm. that's good. it just sounds like a lot. i am still going to try to cut down. at least i am washing rags and dipes instead of throwing away sposies and paper towels.

Delicateflower 05-22-2009 11:15 AM

four people, one in cloth. About 7 loads a week.

It's a kind of staggered cycle. About every five days I'll wash a dark, white and red/pink load (including sheets), then on the weekend I do towels. Diapers are about every fourth day. Cloth napkins and kitchen cloths go in with whatever I'm washing (except diapers)

Adamsmama 05-22-2009 11:19 AM

Family of 5 (2 potty trained and one in diapers) I do probably appr. 14 loads a week. We go through a lot of kids clothes because my oldest is SN and has lots of accidents. We use cloth diapers on the toddler. I do 3 loads of kids clothes, a couple loads of diapers, probably 3 loads of my/dh clothes, 2 loads of towels, 2 loads of sheets, one miscellanous.

amandaleigh37 05-22-2009 11:39 AM

Family of 3. We have about 1 load per day if I stay on top of it.

When we're diapering, that adds another 3-4 loads per week.

(I'll also admit I tend to make my loads very full. When my mom is here & helps with laundry, she will split ONE of my loads into like THREE! Then we argue about it! haha)

dawningmama 05-22-2009 11:55 AM

Family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids---out of diapers) and we do 8-10 loads a week. Generally, this goes down to 5-7 in the summer----the clothes a smaller and we do a lot more handwashing.

Drummer's Wife 05-22-2009 11:56 AM

14 sounds about right for us, too. We are a family of 6 and also cloth diaper. At the very minimum I have to do at least one load a day.

Krystal323 05-22-2009 12:09 PM

oh i haven't the slightest idea! but i know if we don't do laundry in several days there is such a huge pile that we cannot close the laundry room door!

i'd guess 14 loads at a minimum. i have a diva daughter that changes way too often, and my son's clothes are nearly as big as mine now

lovesdaffodils 05-22-2009 12:20 PM

Family of 3, no diapers but we do use cloth rags for everything. I average a load a day, unless someone is sick or DS has a nighttime accident. So maybe 8 a week, I guess.

SAHDS 05-22-2009 12:30 PM

Family of 4, I SAH (only get dressed when I'm leaving the house) and DH wears a uniform to work. We re-wear clothes that are still clean (shorts, jeans mostly), re-use towels (a week of towels plus all sheets is one load) for a few days and the kids and I have very small clothes. So, I maybe do 6 loads/week.

wendyland 05-22-2009 01:10 PM

I think we have about 6 loads a week. There are 5 of us.

kirstenb 05-22-2009 01:41 PM

I do about 8 loads a week for the three of us. Three of those are cloth diaper loads. DH's uniforms need to be washed separately because they are filthy. The rest are towels and DS's and my clothes. I do at least one load a day.

mtm 05-22-2009 01:44 PM

Family of 5, 2-3 cloth diapers, 1 sheets and towels, 4 darks, 2 lights so 9-10 loads a week.

ChetMC 05-22-2009 02:28 PM

We do one load of cloth diapers a week, and two or three other loads, depending on the week. We have two adults and three small kids.

However, we've always had a front loader, most recently, a very large capacity one. The loads of wash that I run are easily twice the size of what my MIL runs in her top loader.

As well, our kids are not especially prone to getting dirty, DH has doesn't have a dirty job, I'm also a SAHM and don't get dressed unless I'm leaving the house, and I wash some sheets and towels with the diapers to top the load up and make it a full one.

Sharlla 05-22-2009 02:33 PM

jrabbit 05-22-2009 04:13 PM

hmmm. I try to do one load a day, but it seems to always pile up, making me do 3-4 on one day, but I think I maybe do 10 a week? maybe 12? but I don't think it's more than that, at least not every week.

2 adults, 2 daughters who change clothes way too often, 1 baby in cloth diapers & e.c. (2 loads a week for her), lots of pets. We only use rags, not paper towels, napkins, etc ...

I encourage wearing of clothes more than once. We change sheets & towels weekly. We do live in Texas, though, with a really short winter, so we wear think clothes. We also have waaaay too many clothes ... maybe that's part of it, too.

Purple Sage 05-22-2009 08:46 PM

I'd say it's about a load a day, so 7 per week. We're a family of 6 with 1 in cloth diapers.

cristeen 05-22-2009 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post
Glad to know I'm not the only one. Although your family is larger than ours.

We do 2 loads of clothing and 1 load of non-clothing (sheets, towels, family cloth, etc.) per week during the winter. During the warmer months it's pretty much 1 load of clothing and 1 load of non-clothing/week.

mystiquesmom 05-22-2009 11:36 PM

I do about 9-10 loads a week with a sheets/towels load once every 2 weeks. We are a family of 4, one is CD and the other is in the middle of potty learning right now.

greenmansions 05-23-2009 01:22 AM

I probably do about 7 loads a week. Some things I do every other week, other things I do more than once a week.

We are a family of 4, with both kids out of diapers but still with weekly accidents. My/kids' clothes get run twice a week, DH's about every week and a half. We use no paper towels or napkins in the kitchen, just cloth. I wash those things along with bath and hand towels at least once a week, but I tend to slack off on sheets so they get done less often. I hate to think about how much less often...

newbymom05 05-23-2009 01:24 AM

Family of 4, 2 adults, one toddler, one preschooler, prolly 7-10 a week. Def 1 a day, and we don't CD, we do reuse towels, use cloth rather than paper in the kitchen, and change sheets weekly, sometimes biweekly. All DH's work/dress shirts go to the cleaners to be pressed.

It's funny b/c I started Flylady pre-kids and thought her one-a-day laundry load was insane. How could people have that much laundry??? I wondered. Were they washing only 2-3 things at a time? Now I know.

sewchris2642 05-23-2009 01:43 AM

We do 10-11 a week with 2 in cloth diapers full time. We are a multi generational family of 8 (4 adults and 4 children). Our washing machine has 3 water levels and is huge.

clraelle 05-23-2009 02:35 AM

We do 5 loads of laundry a week for our family of 6, and a load every 2 to 3 days for the babies dipies.

sunnysandiegan 05-23-2009 03:18 AM

Hmmm... I generally do a load a day, but have at least one day, sometimes 2-3 days, each week where there simply isn't anything to wash. So, I guess our family of 3 produces 4-6 loads of laundry per week. No diapers, no dirty jobs. About half is clothing and the other half is household (towels, rags, sheets, rugs). We have an average top loader washer and I don't cram it full.

nathansmum 05-23-2009 03:47 AM

2 adults, 2 children.

3-4 loads.

I wash every 2nd day (I have a large machine now, but with my old machine I would have had to wash every day). When I was doing cloth diapers I'd do an extra 3 loads a week (had enough to wash every 2nd day).