Dishwasher users... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 05-22-2009, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do you rinse your dishes etc before putting them in the dishwasher? If so why?
#2 of 35 Old 05-22-2009, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yes I rinse them to get all the food off.
#3 of 35 Old 05-22-2009, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

But why? Isn't that what your dishwasher does? I have never rinsed unless it's something like porridge which when it goes cold tends to work better than any glue I have yet to find.
#4 of 35 Old 05-22-2009, 11:41 PM

i do too.. not sure why. habit? my partner doesn't and they never come out as clean as mine..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#5 of 35 Old 05-23-2009, 12:00 AM

Yes, I do as well. We run the dishwasher once a week. So, if we didn't do this, the food would be so caked on, the dishwasher wouldn't be enough to get it off.

We've tried not rinsing, but the dried food bits just don't come off.

If we ran the dishwasher once a day, then I wouldn't rinse as the food wouldn't have time to permanently dry.

Or maybe if we had a better dishwasher things would work without rinsing.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#6 of 35 Old 05-23-2009, 12:01 AM

we rinse as our dishwasher is a piece o' crap!! some of the newer ones do say specifically NOT to rinse as the oils, etc. off the dishes helps keep everything lubricated. a relative has one and it works like a charm, i believe these are expensive though.
#7 of 35 Old 05-23-2009, 12:45 AM

I rinse my dishes first, for two reasons: we have crappy water pressure, and no garbage disposal.
#8 of 35 Old 05-23-2009, 01:14 AM

We scrape food off the dishes, and rinse only if it's something that we know our dishwasher has a hard time getting off (like avocado for some reason) or that stains other dishes (like ketchup). In general we do not rinse the dishes. We run the dishwasher most nights tho, and put in pots and pans too to fill it up. We don't rinse the pans either and everything comes out very clean.
#9 of 35 Old 05-23-2009, 01:19 AM

I don't rinse. If I wanted to wash dishes by hand, I wouldn't have bought a dishwasher. But no seriously, I just do a quick scrape of any leftover food and right into the dishwasher. It gets ran just about every night, occasionally we skip a day if we eat out or something. My dishwasher isn't top of the line or anything, but everything almost always come out clean.
#10 of 35 Old 05-23-2009, 01:29 AM

I view my dishwasher more as a sanitizer than anything else. I run a sink of water to pre wash all my dishes. It occurs to me that every time I eat at my MIL's house (who loads dirty food covered dishes straight into her very new, very fancy dishwasher) I am politely picking a crusty onion or leftover ketchup goo off my "clean" plate before dinner. I don't trust dishwashers to get the food off, I just don't... so I do a quick handwash before and use the lightest, quickest cycle in the dishwasher to sanitize.
#11 of 35 Old 05-23-2009, 01:38 AM

Yes. The dishwasher will last longer and have less plumping problems if you rinse first even if the manual says that you don't have to. Even if the dishes come out clean, all that left over food has to go somewhere. And that's in the pipes along with the water. We run ours twice a day, sometimes once, sometimes 3x. But then we are a multigenerational family of 4 adults, an 11 yo, and 3 kids under 5 (ok, so the baby doesn't use any dishes . And then there are the other family members that don't live here but show up frequently.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#12 of 35 Old 05-23-2009, 02:04 AM

We definitely do... because our dishwasher is decades old and doesn't do much besides get things really hot.

Dishes are way cleaner if we put them through the dishwasher, but they don't get clean at all if we leave stuff on them. Especially peanut butter.
#13 of 35 Old 05-23-2009, 02:29 AM

We dont rinse, if something needs to be rinsed we wash it by hand. I've read somewhere that your dishwasher needs dirty dishes for the soaps to work properly.
#14 of 35 Old 05-23-2009, 04:07 AM

Yes, or scrape thoroughly. Just habit, I suppose?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#15 of 35 Old 05-23-2009, 03:29 PM

Yes, we do. If I didn't, they'd come out dirty. Part of that is we only run the dishwasher twice a week, part of it is that the machine is fairly old, and part of it is that it's a free-standing machine, so it just doesn't have the bells and whistles of a built in.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#16 of 35 Old 05-23-2009, 04:51 PM

Our dishwasher user guide specifically says to scrape food off of dishes, but not to rinse them. I'll let a plate soak if it's been sitting with dried on pasta sauce on it, or something else that's really caked on, but generally don't have to.
#17 of 35 Old 05-23-2009, 05:49 PM

I rinse things that I think will be difficult to remove.
Part of it is because I didn't have a working dishwasher for most of my life.
I got a new one in February and it is pretty good but it's still habit to rinse those dishes.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#18 of 35 Old 05-23-2009, 07:02 PM

I only rinse certain things--oatmeal, cooked-on egg, smoothies, canned cat food. It's a waste of water and time to rinse the dishes first. Sometimes one or two things come out of the dishwasher dirty so those get scrubbed and put back in for the next load. Oh, and I do pre-soak stainless steel pans.

Cindycaffix.gif, wife to soapbox.gif, mama to DD1 (4/97)lol.gif, DD2 (3/99)bouncy.gif, DS (4/03)biggrinbounce.gif, and DD3 (6/07)energy.gif, 3 cat.gif, and 10 chicken3.gif.

#19 of 35 Old 05-23-2009, 08:39 PM

I rinse thoroughly as it is easier to pre-clean the dish a little than it is to wrestle the catch screen out of the bottom of the dishwasher to clean it off. But we have a countertop dishwasher (thank you craigslist) so it's different from the undercounter or roll-around kind.

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
#20 of 35 Old 05-24-2009, 08:55 PM

I scrape the food off and then put it in the dishwasher. It's made to handle very dirty dishes and pans and I often set it to "soak" or "power scrub".

Single Mom with a BF  stillheart.gif  Mommy to 2 girlsphotosmile2.gif blahblah.gif & 2 boys jog.gifsuperhero.gif nocirc.gif

wash.gif banghead.gif Using the Law of Attraction candle.gif om.gif Loving my Family  cat.gif 

#21 of 35 Old 05-24-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taramoon13 View Post
we rinse as our dishwasher is a piece o' crap!!
here, too; my dw is 2 y.o. and was new in a new house; I guess the contractor spent his money elsewhere

I can't wait to replace it with a unit that actually ... oh, I don't know ... works like it's supposed to.

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#22 of 35 Old 05-25-2009, 01:09 PM

We scrape food off and only pre-rinse under certain conditions (egg yolk and avocado for sure!). Our dishwasher is 8 years old and works well when we use Ecover detergent or a very specific type of Electrosol, which they may not make anymore. Our current batch of Electrosol SUCKS! However, we add a cup of white vinegar to each load and viola...clean dishes. (Detergent should work by itself, though, so no more of this stuff. I have a box of Ecover waiting. )

Our dishwasher has a "quick rinse" feature and we make use of that if we're not going to be running it within a day or so. It uses less water and is more efficient (layout of dishes) than us rinsing in the sink before loading the dishwasher.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#23 of 35 Old 05-25-2009, 02:20 PM

I rinse. The dishwasher takes a few days to get full enough to turn on and the food would dry too much for the dishwasher to wash off itself. And I don't see the point of putting food through my dishwasher. I scrape off any leftovers, rinse quickly under water (just a rinse, I don't use soap or a dishcloth), and then put it in the dishwasher. Why put obvious food through the pipes? And why leave ketchup drying onto a plate for hours/days? My dishes come out clean. They might come out just as clean if I didn't rinse but I rinse anyway. It makes me feel better.

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#24 of 35 Old 05-25-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
We definitely do... because our dishwasher is decades old and doesn't do much besides get things really hot.

Dishes are way cleaner if we put them through the dishwasher, but they don't get clean at all if we leave stuff on them. Especially peanut butter.
Yup! I rent a place with a 19 yo dishwasher. HAVE to rinse. Although PB left on a knife is OK, comes off fine.

lady.gif
#25 of 35 Old 05-25-2009, 10:35 PM

we have a fairly new dishwasher, but I still rinse/scrape the majority of the food off.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#26 of 35 Old 05-25-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillymum View Post
But why? Isn't that what your dishwasher does? I have never rinsed unless it's something like porridge which when it goes cold tends to work better than any glue I have yet to find.
Well our dishwasher (newish) at work sucks, so if everything isn't 100% clean going in, they won't be cleaned coming out. We are told to use the dishwasher to "sanitize" the dishes.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#27 of 35 Old 06-04-2009, 05:50 PM

our dishwasher isn't the greatest. I make sure there aren't any chucks, but DH goes much further and really really rinses first.

Mother to one wonderful 5 year old son and another on the way, caretaker of dogs, cats, chickens and worms. EDD 12/11/2011

#28 of 35 Old 06-07-2009, 05:48 PM

Yep, we rinse too. I've never had a dishwasher that gets caked on food off. if I don't rinse good enough I notice stuck on food. I have a fairly new dishwasher and a good brand too. :
#29 of 35 Old 06-08-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbabes View Post
I only rinse certain things--oatmeal, cooked-on egg, smoothies, canned cat food. It's a waste of water and time to rinse the dishes first. Sometimes one or two things come out of the dishwasher dirty so those get scrubbed and put back in for the next load. Oh, and I do pre-soak stainless steel pans.
Wow, do we live in the same house? JK

I don't rinse everything, just some things like this that I know from experience won't stay off. And, those things generally are things I have to SOAK. Knock on wood the dishwasher here is 16+years old.

I don't know if it was the hormones, but when my mom would come over she'd spend over an hour doing the dishes. That is BEFORE she put it in the dishwasher.

So, I was kind of like...what's the point? She already washed them already.

In fact, one time she did her prewashing and forgot to run the dishwasher and then put them all again. She'd prewashed them enough she couldn't tell they weren't clean yet. Sigh.

Our hot water is set to 120 degrees, so it's not going to get "that hot". We have it set that way for child safety and economics!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#30 of 35 Old 06-08-2009, 12:18 PM

Well according to consumers reports about 10 years ago you do not need to rinse of dishes. That thats what the dishwasher should do.

I never rinse anything. I do not have the time or energy to bother. Plus it is run quite a bit so stuff does not have time to stick. If something does not get clean the first run through then it stays until it does get clean.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page