Traditional Homemaking Summer 2009! - Page 14 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#391 of 397 Old 09-06-2009, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
artparent: i think you probably need lid & ring jars for pickles, unless you are making freezer pickles, maybe. never done that though.
you can get 12 widemouth mason jars for 13$ or so..which is okay since you can use them for many years to come. i tried using some old jars and the just smashed. it was so irritating having to clean up shattered glass whislt pickling!

im in the middle of making honey sweetened bread & butter pickles right now. the house smells divine! i also set up my kind sized bed this morning! im so : not to have to sleep in a twin bed with my squirmey nursling ever again!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#392 of 397 Old 09-07-2009, 01:29 PM

shucks, well, my sewing skills are still very basic, i hope to really learn to do things properly..but my knitting skills are getting there, these two socks match so far and i really love the cabling.

those pickles sound yummy. i'll get new lids for the old jars around here. i was attracted to these jars because they are all glass, and i've heard good things about some types of all glass and bad things about others..

of course, i'm looking for silver-coloured lids + bands, because i'm crazy that way

#393 of 397 Old 09-07-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
shucks, well, my sewing skills are still very basic, i hope to really learn to do things properly..but my knitting skills are getting there, these two socks match so far and i really love the cabling.

those pickles sound yummy. i'll get new lids for the old jars around here. i was attracted to these jars because they are all glass, and i've heard good things about some types of all glass and bad things about others..

of course, i'm looking for silver-coloured lids + bands, because i'm crazy that way

i just bought some new jars with lovely silver lids..they even have a pretty swirly design on the top! they are Bernardin wide mouth mason jars and look just gorgeous all filled with beets and honey sweetened bread & butter pickles. i stayed up till midnight canning, but it was so worth it!
im uploading some photos to my flickr page..http://www.flickr.com/photos/2705796...7622164022767/

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#394 of 397 Old 09-07-2009, 02:39 PM

i'll look for them - did you buy them locally?
can't wait to see.

i've got a huge bookshelf, built into our livingroom in london, and while it is lovely to have that much shelving, most of our books are in canada and most are likely to stay there! so i am planning to use the top shelves as my pantry because you know i will like to sit on my couch and gaze at them. it is also the coldest room in the house, and the darkest rows of gorgeous colourful food would be just the thing. if i ever get back to london, and ever learn to can!!

hey fern, pics are great! yum, pickles!!

#395 of 397 Old 09-09-2009, 02:26 PM

Can we start a new one for fall? lol I feel so behind

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#396 of 397 Old 09-09-2009, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
Can we start a new one for fall? lol I feel so behind
Sure I'll do that now! :

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#397 of 397 Old 09-09-2009, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

New thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...php?p=14355798

And I remembered the Southern Hemisphere mamas this time!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page