Traditional Homemaking Summer 2009! - Page 14 - Mothering Forums
First ... 4  12  13  14
The Mindful Home > Traditional Homemaking Summer 2009!
MamaFern's Avatar MamaFern 08:07 PM 09-06-2009
artparent: i think you probably need lid & ring jars for pickles, unless you are making freezer pickles, maybe. never done that though.
you can get 12 widemouth mason jars for 13$ or so..which is okay since you can use them for many years to come. i tried using some old jars and the just smashed. it was so irritating having to clean up shattered glass whislt pickling!

im in the middle of making honey sweetened bread & butter pickles right now. the house smells divine! i also set up my kind sized bed this morning! im so : not to have to sleep in a twin bed with my squirmey nursling ever again!

artparent's Avatar artparent 02:29 PM 09-07-2009
shucks, well, my sewing skills are still very basic, i hope to really learn to do things properly..but my knitting skills are getting there, these two socks match so far and i really love the cabling.

those pickles sound yummy. i'll get new lids for the old jars around here. i was attracted to these jars because they are all glass, and i've heard good things about some types of all glass and bad things about others..

of course, i'm looking for silver-coloured lids + bands, because i'm crazy that way

MamaFern's Avatar MamaFern 03:30 PM 09-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
shucks, well, my sewing skills are still very basic, i hope to really learn to do things properly..but my knitting skills are getting there, these two socks match so far and i really love the cabling.

those pickles sound yummy. i'll get new lids for the old jars around here. i was attracted to these jars because they are all glass, and i've heard good things about some types of all glass and bad things about others..

of course, i'm looking for silver-coloured lids + bands, because i'm crazy that way

i just bought some new jars with lovely silver lids..they even have a pretty swirly design on the top! they are Bernardin wide mouth mason jars and look just gorgeous all filled with beets and honey sweetened bread & butter pickles. i stayed up till midnight canning, but it was so worth it!
im uploading some photos to my flickr page..http://www.flickr.com/photos/2705796...7622164022767/
artparent's Avatar artparent 03:39 PM 09-07-2009
i'll look for them - did you buy them locally?
can't wait to see.

i've got a huge bookshelf, built into our livingroom in london, and while it is lovely to have that much shelving, most of our books are in canada and most are likely to stay there! so i am planning to use the top shelves as my pantry because you know i will like to sit on my couch and gaze at them. it is also the coldest room in the house, and the darkest rows of gorgeous colourful food would be just the thing. if i ever get back to london, and ever learn to can!!

hey fern, pics are great! yum, pickles!!

AFWife's Avatar AFWife 03:26 PM 09-09-2009
Can we start a new one for fall? lol I feel so behind
holyhelianthus's Avatar holyhelianthus 03:28 PM 09-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
Can we start a new one for fall? lol I feel so behind
Sure I'll do that now! :
holyhelianthus's Avatar holyhelianthus 03:39 PM 09-09-2009
New thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...php?p=14355798

And I remembered the Southern Hemisphere mamas this time!
First ... 4  12  13  14

Up