Traditional Homemaking Summer 2009! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-25-2009, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dad used to sharpen blades of all kinds with a rasp. Use a good strong vice on a table about hip height (make sure the blade is in there firmly) and draw the rasp over the blade in the direction of the sharp edge. Repeat 5 gazillion times. Don't saw back and forth, don't go against the grain. And be careful! It's tough work but it can be done. HTH!

I am making leaps and bounds worth of progress in our bedroom. I am also getting boxes and boxes ready for a yard sale. Which I am still figuring out how to do in an apartment...I am so tempted to freecycle everything but I was planning on using the procedes of the sale for our Christmas. We're going to keep things simple, but still, it'd be nice to be able to buy some luxury items during that time.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2009, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
i'm really noticing that sticking with my routines is freeing up tons of energy and time that i really did not have at my disposable. off to do my evening routine and keep my groove!

i'm new at this (hi!) and was wondering if anyone would care to post their routines? i feel like i'm spinning my wheels all day!
Old 06-25-2009, 08:06 PM

Thanks for all your kind words, ladies! I'm feeling better nausea-wise, so now I'm just trying to convince myself that it's really ok to hang around the house a lot - if DS were really really asking to go anywhere I would take him, but ugh not much motivation here.

Made a biiiiig batch of vegan mac & cheese yesterday, so that was an accomplishment! Now I have food in the fridge already cooked. Now on to dealing with our CSA share....erg.

Tips on saving greens for later? I don't know for sure, but I'm wondering if they caused my tummy upset the other night (although DS & DH were fine, so I'm sure it's also baby related). We have a lb of mixed braising greens that are going to go bad soon, and I cannot stand the thought of eating them. Can you freeze them? Do I need to steam them first or....?

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
Old 06-25-2009, 08:58 PM

yes, I'd steam first then freeze. But I've never done so before, maybe someone with more experience will chime in...I'm glad you're feeling better. And if you want a "reason" to stay home, just tell yourself that you are saving money on transportation, shopping, entertainment, etc.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
Old 06-25-2009, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Old 06-25-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandk0610 View Post
i'm new at this (hi!) and was wondering if anyone would care to post their routines? i feel like i'm spinning my wheels all day!
Ok, I've tried to find a post where I laid my schedule all out, but I've lost it. I'll try to lay out the bare bones. This changes some depending upon what the baby does. Like right now he's getting up at 6.30, before he was getting up at 8, so the routine changes a little.

A day:
6.30am wake up, nurse J, change J, play with J, make much needed coffee. Check email.
7 - feed J a banana, eat my breakfast (granola or reheated egg casserole), clean kitchen, start laundry, get dressed, make bed
8 - clean, tidy, fold, nurse
9 - J naps. drink coffee. email. chores / tasks that can't be done with J awake (sewing, bread baking, etc)
10 - chores / tasks that can't be done with J awake (sewing, bread baking, etc)
11 - J wakes. change, nurse and internet, lunch (leftovers, sandwich or salad) , play with J
12pm - errands, walk, pool, etc
1 - errands, walk, pool, or chores
2 - play w J, or laundry
3 - J nap, chores / tasks that can't be done with J awake (sewing, bread baking, etc)
4 - start dinner
5 - J wakes, nurse, finish dinner
6 - eat. clean up kitchen
7 - visit w/ DH, play w/ J
8 - DH J bath, finish cleaning kitchen, tidy house, 8:30 nurse J to sleep (that's where I am now) and internet,
9 - J in bed. Me time. DH and I have coffee and a sweet treat like cake or cookies
10 - shower, 10.30 bed

Also, I think I'm going to start following M.S.'s chore calendar, to help make sure I get things done. I will post that later, with review of her book.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandk0610 View Post
This is what our days look like, at least for summer.
7-9: Wake, breakfast, shower and get ready for day. I also do some laundry or dishes during this time.
10-12: Activity. Either playgroup or storytime.
1: Lunch
2: Housework
3: If dd naps, it will be during this time. I usually email, sew, or fold laundry.
4: Playtime
5: Start Dinner
6: Housework, usually cleaning the kitchen and sweeping.
7: Playtime and bath if needed.
8: Dd bedtime
9: Housework

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
Old 06-25-2009, 11:45 PM

Why does traditional homemaking speak to you?

I just feel it is a healthier better lifestyle, and one I want to share with my children and family. I also like the aspects of knowing I can create things and make functional items with my own hands. It is a lot of pride and self esteem as well as something I feel adds substance and value to life.

What traditional homemaking skills are you looking to learn or improve on currently?

I want to get better at knitting- I'd like to make some longies for the baby we're expecting. I'd also like to get technically better at sewing. I'm decent, but could use skill development. And I'd like to garden more successfully.

How do you find joy in traditional homemaking? [/B]

I think I answered this in #1!

My shortfall with Homemaking

Right now I'm really struggling with doing much of anything, and we're seriously contemplating getting a maid With me working so much and being SOOOO sick (pregnancy is NOT easy for me) I just can't do it all, and my hubby works and goes to school, so he can't either. It is more valuable for me to use my time sewing then washing windows, kwim?

Right now we're not doing anything. I sit on the couch with a puke bowl most of the time I'm not working TBH. So our garden is browning and the floors are dusty. Hoping within a few weeks I'll be feeling better!

Mama to bftoddler.gifand belly.gif

Old 06-26-2009, 10:12 AM

welcome rebirth!

Man I feel kinda like a stalker, I post in this thread way too much! But DS nurses a lot and the computer is one of the few things I can do while nursing. Don't know why, but he gets too distracted if I'm reading a book or knitting or something like that. But he doesn't mind the internet. And I have mastered the typing one-handed...ahh let's face it I'm an internet addict.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:28 AM

it is tough to manage pregnancy and everything else, sometimes. i'm entering a new phase, my youngest is 3.5 and things are changing in terms of what i can get done. i am very excited about this!

nerdy, don't worry about it! just post! i posted a lot when i was nursing.

here's my morning routine:

* chart cycle
* make the bed
* day/yoga/running clothes
* pick up bedroom
* put away clothes

* drain tray
* make breakfast
* eat + take remedies

* morning pages
* yoga/running

* clean teeth
* hair + face
* dry brushing
* shiny + tidy

* dishes done
* tidy + clean
* plan dinner

* load laundry in

* look at day plan
* practice

here's my evening routine:

* finish dishes
* shine sink
* tidy kitchen
* wipe surfaces
* plan meals
* food preparation
* sweep floor

* put away toys
* tidy livingroom
* tidy studio
* check laundry

* drinking water
* evening remedies

* clean teeth
* clean face
* dry brushing
* tidy bathroom

* nightclothes
* clothes laid out
* tidy bedroom

* plan tomorrow
* quiet time

i'd like to say that i do it all every day, but i don't

oo, we finally got our corkboard painted and mounted on the wall, and now we have an artboard for the major production that happens around here.

thanks for sharpening ideas. i may talk to my landlord about it.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:25 PM

Hi gals! We were on vaca last week, then I had two deadlines this week, so I'm finally getting back to this thread.

I made the most delicious zucchini brownies on Sunday for Father's Day. I had never made brownies from scratch before. They were yummy, but oh so unhealthy. I generally try and change a recipe to make it healthier, but just made them straight this last time. Yummy, but watch out!

Our garden is blooming, despite the fact that I stink at keeping plants alive! We've had tons of zucchini, have lots of tomatoes growing, the rosemary, mint, and basil are doing well too. We'll see how the peppers and cucumbers do.

This week since I had the deadlines, I haven't gotten much done except grocery shopping and dinners, plus daily maintenance. I have a TON of laundry to put away and more to wash. I wish I had more clothesline space outside, but I'll take what I can get.

Next week I want to bake some muffins and breads, and plan some meals around the meat in the freezer. I think I might also make some more zucchini patties to freeze.

We've also statred discussing Christmas. I would love to make something for eahc of the kids this year. If I could learn how, I'd love to sew their PJs we give them every year. Not sure how complicated that owuld be though.

Me+DH (2006)
DS (2005)
DD (2008)
Old 06-26-2009, 11:28 PM

subbing!

:

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 06-27-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emski4379 View Post
*snip*I made the most delicious zucchini brownies on Sunday for Father's Day. I had never made brownies from scratch before. They were yummy, but oh so unhealthy. I generally try and change a recipe to make it healthier, but just made them straight this last time. Yummy, but watch out! *snip*
uhh, did you say zucchini? Last time I checked that was green, and adding it to anything automatically makes it healthy.

Quote:
We've also statred discussing Christmas. I would love to make something for eahc of the kids this year. If I could learn how, I'd love to sew their PJs we give them every year. Not sure how complicated that owuld be though.
jammies should be pretty easy, have you ever used the Petchey 10 minute trousers tutorial? See it here: http://madebypetchy.blogspot.com/2008/06/tutorial-10-minute-trousers.html It very basic, VERY easy. You could easily make them out of fleece or what have-you, plus a Tshirt (prob. cheaper to purchase than sew) that you applique or paint, and that's a cheap, fun set of jammies, and very easy to do.

tonight I made mushroom and eggplant risotto, since I didn't have tahini to make my baba ganouj (:doh. It was sooo yummy scrummy. Lot's of veggies, and we didn't miss the meat at all. We've been in veg overload eversince we moved out, it's been so nice to eat fresh veg and not listen to anyone complain, or worse, have someone get up from the table and make themselves mac'n'cheese. : Risotto is such a nice comfort food, and you can throw practically anything into it and have it taste nice. The only problem is I need DH at some, since it requires constant stirring for the last stage, and DS inevitably needs me by that time...

Oh, almost forgot, DS took three naps today, and is totally freaking me out with his clingyness and sleeping. I am in fear of teeth...my boobs have been through enough already!!

Old 06-27-2009, 01:13 AM

The zucchini was the only healthy thing in the brownies! Way too much sugar and chocolate, but yum-o.

I'll have to look into that tutorial. Doesn't sound too hard.

DD is way clingier than DS was, and he was clingy. She gets sooooo upset if I leave the room for literally 2 seconds. She always wants to be right on me. At least now, she's happy to be crawling around in the same room as me. We need to baby proof though so it's safe for her to pull up on stuff.

If it is teething, you could try a frozen bagel.

Me+DH (2006)
DS (2005)
DD (2008)
Old 06-27-2009, 09:38 AM

Hello ladies. May I join you? I love this thread. I am all about traditional homemaking skills. I am a sahm to 4 young and amazing kids. I try to fill our days with as much of a simple, traditional lifestyle as I can.

Why does traditional homemaking speak to you?

I have always been drawn to traditional homemaking, even as a young child. I think perhaps it speaks to me so strongly bc I did not have this at all growing up. My parents were divorced and my mom was much more focused on things other than homemaking. I have always felt a strong need to bring this into my life. Even as a child I was sewing, baking & hanging clothes on the line.

What traditional homemaking skills are you looking to learn or improve on currently?

I have always wanted to learn to knit, and with my youngest now 3 years old I have finally begun learning - and I'm loving it!! I have made a poncho, some felted bags & couple sweaters so far.

How do you find joy in traditional homemaking?

I love doing this for my family. I feel so good having a clean house for them, a nice yard with flowers & a vegetable garden, homecooked meals w/healthy food. It really makes me feel like I am giving my family the best that I can.

Now a question for all of you (forgive me if it has already been addressed), do you know many people IRL who practice traditional homemaking skills and how do those who do not respond to your lifestyle? I'm not sure I know anyone personally who does. Most people around where I live are very focused on material things, ultrascheduling their lives, etc. In fact, one of my very trendy friends actually laughed when I told her I was learning to knit & jokingly called me an old lady. We also live very simply and debt free (other than a small mortgage). Most of the people we know have fancy houses, accompanied by lots of debt & financial stress. Sometimes, OK lots of times, I feel intimidated by their impressive houses. But then I just have to look at the important things in our lives and know we have all we need.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
Old 06-27-2009, 09:56 AM

i know almost none in london - i might ask the homeschoolers i know here, they might. i know a few in vancouver, canada, but not very many!! i know lots who knit and bake bread, but they don't usually take it as far as i do! as it is i am an anomaly in that i'm home with my children (though freelancing occasionally) and homelearning. my grandmothers were a lot more traditional, and my mother kept quite a bit of it but left things behind as she got older. she used to sew a lot of our clothes, i'd really like to learn from her now.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:43 AM

Most of the moms I know around here are not into TH. In fact, when I told my neighbor I knew how to sew she said "Well, good for you" in a cute but sort of sarcastic way. They probably think we're poor or I'm homely, neither of which is the case.

In fact, most don't know the extent to my TH. They don't know I don't use paper towels. DH had 2 coworkers over for lunch the other day and I made them sandwiches and fruit and handed them a cloth napkin to wipe their hands and they looked at me like I had 2 heads. I said, "go ahead, we use them every day!". They didn't use them, I caught them out of the corner of my eye, wiping their hands on their pants I guess they were afraid to get them dirty! I do keep extra restaurant paper napkins in a drawer for nasty jobs like bugs (!) though.

But alot of the dads I know, who also work out of the home, are into homey stuff though. They like to do projects like building or yardwork. The wives don't get involved with that though. When they see me doing stuff, like pulling weeds, or hear about a sewing mishap or something, they seem super impressed and usually say something like "see honey, she does it" and the wives sort of roll their eyes. : what can I say?

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
Old 06-27-2009, 11:08 AM

marimara, that's an interesting point. i do know a lot of dads who feel pretty incompetent next to their able fathers/fathers-in-law, they tend to be really skilled in communications but not in hands-on things..but hands-on does still seem to be something that men are encouraged to do, whereas there seems to be this idea that learning traditional homemaking skills associated with women's work is somehow sexist, or classist...i'm not sure. more and more i can see the aristocracy had a lot of bad ideas get someone else to do the work, even birth and breastfeeding! however i deeply value that there is some possibility for women to become engineers, electricians, builders, etc, i also would love to live in a world where i can learn from other people how to do things myself. i definitely need to get my own parents to teach me more they built a house around us!

Old 06-27-2009, 11:10 AM

Lots of people I know here are into many aspects of TH. There are quite a few crunchy fols around, and the 2 seem to go hand-in-hand.

We often get strange looks about the cloth napkins too, especially from DH friends, or when out of towners come to visit.

Me+DH (2006)
DS (2005)
DD (2008)
Old 06-27-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimara View Post
Most of the moms I know around here are not into TH. In fact, when I told my neighbor I knew how to sew she said "Well, good for you" in a cute but sort of sarcastic way. They probably think we're poor or I'm homely, neither of which is the case.

In fact, most don't know the extent to my TH. They don't know I don't use paper towels. DH had 2 coworkers over for lunch the other day and I made them sandwiches and fruit and handed them a cloth napkin to wipe their hands and they looked at me like I had 2 heads. I said, "go ahead, we use them every day!". They didn't use them, I caught them out of the corner of my eye, wiping their hands on their pants I guess they were afraid to get them dirty! I do keep extra restaurant paper napkins in a drawer for nasty jobs like bugs (!) though.

But alot of the dads I know, who also work out of the home, are into homey stuff though. They like to do projects like building or yardwork. The wives don't get involved with that though. When they see me doing stuff, like pulling weeds, or hear about a sewing mishap or something, they seem super impressed and usually say something like "see honey, she does it" and the wives sort of roll their eyes. : what can I say?
: ! that is hilarious! I grew up with some TH things, (like cloth napkins and towels, simple homemade food) but my mother did them merely becuase we had no money. As soon as she was able, she stopped. She never went quite as far as line drying and bread baking, because that was too much effort.

Max are you my neighbor? I live in the capital of ticky tacky houses. I drove through an old neighborhood the other day, with the original ticky tacky houses...seriously there was a red one, a blue one, a green one and a yellow one, but they were all just the same...with the same cars parked outside, the same furniture on the patios, same joggers wearing knee braces and iPods...:

I don't really know any TH'ers my age. I do know some women through my church that are very traditional, but I think I am on the fringes with my radical bread baking and cloth napkining...

Old 06-27-2009, 05:27 PM

I'm the only one I know that is my age that is TH, my mom does to an extent. There are a few older ladies in the church that live in the country, put up all their own meat from either chickens, or deer and such. But beyond that......

Yesterday I made a new clothes pin bag from a blown out pair of dh's jeans.
Took 1 leg and cut off the lengh I wanted keeping hem in mind.
turned wrong side out and sew'd a line across the bottom.
Then I cut along the two sides 5inches,
folded one side down to where the 5inch slit stopped, hem'd the short end
Then on the back side took an old wire hanger - (children's side) and sewed it into the back seem.
Then twised the hook of the hanger to the back.

Does that make sense? I want to take the back pocket off the jeans and stitch it to the front of the bag for decoration.
I used it last night when I took the clothes off the line. I loved it.

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Next week I want to bake some muffins and breads, and plan some meals around the meat in the freezer. I think I might also make some more zucchini patties to freeze.
I have this great muffin recipe for Apple, Carrot, Zucchini Muffins which I usually make with half whole wheat flour and only half of the sugar called for. I usually add some wheat bran and germ and other veggies. The last time I made them (I actually made loaves instead of muffins) I added beets & chard (after chopping them in my food processor). There are also nuts and raisins int the recipe. My daughter loves them and I feel good about her eating them for breakfast knowing she's getting so many veggies. I'll type up the recipe and post it if anyone is interested.

Quote:
I made these for my daughter for Christmas it is a pretty simple pattern and has a wide range of sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*max*~ View Post
Now a question for all of you (forgive me if it has already been addressed), do you know many people IRL who practice traditional homemaking skills and how do those who do not respond to your lifestyle?
I'm fortunate in that my mom bakes bread, sews, knits (a little, she now asks me questions!), etc. (all while getting her phd!) so I have a great model. I also have several friends who do many things traditionally...it's nice to have people to talk to IRL.

I just discovered a great thing about TH. When you are sick with a summer cold in your 28th week of pregnancy and can pull a jar of homemade chicken vegetable soup out of the fridge rather than eating a can of supermarket stuff. While I'm not enjoying the being sick part, the soup was really good!

Momma to my sweet kiddos DD (2.19.07) and DS (9.27.09) and wife to the most amazing man (7.24.04)
: :
Old 06-28-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemrose View Post
I have this great muffin recipe for Apple, Carrot, Zucchini Muffins which I usually make with half whole wheat flour and only half of the sugar called for. I usually add some wheat bran and germ and other veggies. The last time I made them (I actually made loaves instead of muffins) I added beets & chard (after chopping them in my food processor). There are also nuts and raisins int the recipe. My daughter loves them and I feel good about her eating them for breakfast knowing she's getting so many veggies. I'll type up the recipe and post it if anyone is interested.
Please do share!

I'd like to share two really neat things that happend this week. There were two things that I have been wanting for our new place. 1 - plants for our balcony, and 2 - a bedside table with a drawer in it. On Tuesday I took a walk to the store and was given eight geraniums that were starved for water but otherwise healthy. Today I walked outside and saw a white table sitting next to the dumster, I walked over, it was a nightstand with a drawer, in mint condition. Talk about providence! It was nice to recieve two little things that weren't essentials but will make life a little pleasanter.

Also, I went to a party today for a friend's childs 6 month birthday :, and ugh...it was your typical bbq fair, sugar in everything (including the burgers I found out) and the only veggies were in a coleslaw. I grew up eating that stuff, but lately I've been craving veg so much, and after a while of not eating that way, it really loses it's appeal. I wish I'd been asked to bring something, I offered but was turned down.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:57 AM

isn't it wonderful when you wish for something and it comes true? clothespin bag sounds good. i have old-fashioned dolly clothespins, and i am dying to have a line to clip them to

i've been reading lots of sewing blogs, thanks for inspiration. i started knitting squares for a throw, but i wasn't very happy with how haphazard it was becoming...so i took four squares and made two little bags for my two little girls, just sewed one square loosely up to an inch off the second square, with the bottom corners sewn on a rounded angle, and we managed to find a couple of cute flower-shaped buttons that were rejected by a certain choosey three-year-old, so now they have cute little purses! i like how they are cream-coloured, but a different pattern of knitting on each side. i'm making an i-cord for one, and a flat strap for the other.

my tall girl was playing in a pair of trousers with a hole in them, its been there for months, and i got her to give them to me with my needle + thread and sewed it right up. wow! i never mend things, how great!

i love my shirt-dress and my partner always has too many shirts, so i'm plotting to make off with one of them and see if i can cut it up so that some of the width of it becomes the length.

does anyone have experience with sewing knits - t-shirts? mine always shrink to be too short, i prefer hip-length garments. i was thinking about cruising the thrift shops to find a coordinating t-shirt and chop to add on to the old t, to lengthen it. however, though i love hand-made things, i prefer not to look liked i'm wearing something cobbled together...i'd love it to look good! any advice?

Old 06-28-2009, 01:57 PM

I'm feeling a tiny bit better, and I'm starting some overnight postpartum care for a client this week- so the plan for today is to cook some things that are healthy and easy to eat while I'm working. I'm thinking about a muffin recipe, and something with sweet potatoes as well.

I think I am also going to order a dehyrator, to start making my own dried fruits, jerkeys and fruit leathers.

As for my husband- he is very into traditional male trades.... he has pretty good carpentry skills and does so much to our home. He is removing wallpaper and then painting as I type. :inlove: He has also been weeding our lawn and organically allowing the grass to grow, he has built a bar for our pool area with 90% recycled/repurposed materials, and he has just done so many things to our home. So nice to have a man like that!

Mama to bftoddler.gifand belly.gif

Old 06-28-2009, 10:15 PM

My DH enjoys the TH stuff I do, but he is not very handy himself. Which is a shame since FIL used to be a carpenter. I wish he had learned more from him. He tries his best outside, and does little things here and there, but he does not enjoy them.

I've been feeling super tired the last few days. No one has been sleeping well, which makes for a very tired mama. So we've mostly been eating sliced up fruits/veggies and leftovers.

Me+DH (2006)
DS (2005)
DD (2008)
Old 06-29-2009, 12:26 AM

hi all,

i've been meaning to post to this thread since it began, and i just kept falling further and further behind!! so i'm going to introduce myself now - i hope i can still join!

so my name is robina, i've been with my DH for 9 years, and i have a nineteen month old DD wren. we live in brooklyn, nyc -- which is where i was raised (DH was raised in maine as a farm boy!). i'm a phd student writing my dissertation so for all intents and purposes i'm a WAHM although i'm out of the house 6-8 hours a week for a fellowship. my husband is also a phd student and a full coparent: he teaches outside of the house but one of us is home 100% of the time and both of us are home about 75% of the time. it's a lovely little life and i'll be bummed when we have to move on to the next stage!

why does traditional homemaking speak to you?
for many reasons, both environmental and emotional. like a lot of us (so i'm learning) i did not grow up this way at all. the eighties were not a time of traditional homemaking! and yet i also grew up partially in lahore, pakistan where many of these skills are still encouraged -- so i have an interesting perspective. i also grew up in the same house as a large extended family so many of my values stem from that.

i had been moving in this direction for a long time, perhaps mostly fueled by my longstanding loves of cooking/baking and gardening, but since wren's birth (at home!) i repeatedly have been asking what i want her to remember most from her childhood and that has just pushed me farther down this path. i am also an academic, and a writer, so i'm a researcher by heart...i think my research, in a funny way, has pushed me down this path as well.

as it is, i cook almost everything from scratch. i LOVE to cook and bake (although i do not bake my own bread regularly since we have a local bakery i love supporting). we have a firm commitment to local and organic products. however, this is the first year where we are upping the ante and i am freezing/canning/preserving in preparation for the winter, when we do not anticipate buying any out-of-season produce. i really want to eat more according to the seasons. we will "cheat" on things like dried fruit but other than that i want to see how long i can last without buying fruit from abroad & california. it will be an interesting winter for sure! i already bought 10 qts of strawberries this season! they are mostly all frozen at this point.

i also learned how to knit this winter. i am learning how to sew this summer. i garden, we compost. i make my own herbal remedies. i'm trying to think of what else...i'm sure there is more, but i'm already writing a tome!

How do you find joy in traditional homemaking?
i find a lot of joy in the things (for example, preparing herbal remedies) that are linked to a long, often oppressed, female history. this has a lot to do with my academic work as well. i find "reclaiming" such skills very empowering. also, because i spend so much time "in my mind," hands-on activities are sorely needed...just for my sanity!

okay, i need to do the grocery list now (which i have been putting off for the last hour, although i did plan all our dinners!) but i will look forward to participating more in this thread!

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

Old 06-29-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post

does anyone have experience with sewing knits - t-shirts? mine always shrink to be too short, i prefer hip-length garments. i was thinking about cruising the thrift shops to find a coordinating t-shirt and chop to add on to the old t, to lengthen it. however, though i love hand-made things, i prefer not to look liked i'm wearing something cobbled together...i'd love it to look good! any advice?

When sewing knits (or any other stretchy material) make sure you use a ball point needle--it makes a huge difference! There is actually a book about repurposing T-shirts. It might be worth a look (I've only heard of it, so I'm not sure what is in it). Also, craftster has a forum for reconstructed clothing, you might get some ideas/tutorials there!

Momma to my sweet kiddos DD (2.19.07) and DS (9.27.09) and wife to the most amazing man (7.24.04)
: :
Old 06-29-2009, 02:01 PM

thanks!

Old 06-29-2009, 10:07 PM

Well I've absolutely nothing this past two days except run run run, and DH was off so we visited his parents all day yesterday, then we finished clearing out the storage unit today...yeck. We were getting near the end of the boxes, and bam, now our living area is full of junk again. Well tomorrow I will get back onthe TH horse. Hope you all had a nice weekend!

User Tag List