Adding vinegar and baking soda to HE washers? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-04-2009, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DP and I just moved into a new place, and it came with a front loading HE washer. Honestly I hate the thing, and can't wait to be able to get rid of it and buy a cheap top-loader, but alas, I'm stuck with it for now.

My question is, how do I add vinegar for my rinse, and baking soda/oxyclean/bluing to my wash? I'm guessing I can put the vinegar in the "fabric softener" spot in the detergent drawer, but usually for baking soda/bluing/oxyclean I add it in at the very beginning of the wash. The bluing is my biggest problem, since it has to be diluted with about a liter of water before being dumped in the wash. Anyone have any ideas? I've been taking the clothes out of the wash after the rines, soaking them in a big bucket with the bluing, and then putting them back in for a final rinse. It's a huge pain, especially since there is no utility sink in the laundry room. At least I only have a few loads of whites
#2 of 3 Old 06-04-2009, 10:00 PM

Yes to the vinegar in the softener slot.

I use borax but wash on cold, so it doesn't dissolve. I mix the borax in with hot water and dump it in the washer (awkward, but it works). Then put clothes in and run the cycle.

You could also put whatever dilute product you want in the bleach slot, as long as the volume of it isn't a lot.

Carson, living life with my 3 boys: DH, DS Dec '09 blahblah.gif  and newbie DS Sept'12baby.gif

always two in my heartbeat.gif 

#3 of 3 Old 06-07-2009, 09:15 AM

You could dilute your bluing in a pitcher or bucket and then slowly pour it through one of the dispenser cups. The soap cup would probably be easiest but the bleach and softener cups will work too. Once they fill past the fill line, they'll drain into the washer. (Ask me how many times my vinegar ends up in the washer at the beginning of the load.)

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page