Teflon free waffle irons - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-29-2009, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The title says it all We eat waffles almost every day, so I've made hundreds of waffles on my Hamilton Beach, which now requires a dose of spray to stop it from sticking, which seems to imply we've eaten the teflon coating. Does anyone here use an alternative to teflon, and how easy is it to use? I initially almost bought a cast iron but didn't b/c I thought I'd be scraping waffles off it 90% of the time. Experiences/recommendations?

Spam me, waffle lovers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 06-29-2009, 01:11 PM

IDK, I keep looking at the cast iron waffle iron, but haven't broken down and bought one yet. I can't imagine theres any other choices out there though, tbh... nothing else is even remotely non-stick so I don't see them working without LOTS of butter/oil.
#3 of 10 Old 06-29-2009, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Cast iron is quite nonstick after it's been used a long time and cared for right. The metal smooths out well and it builds up seasoning. Until it does, if you need to soak in water before cleaning, no soap, you can and they come clean much easier.
#4 of 10 Old 06-29-2009, 01:36 PM

The cast iron waffle irons rock!

They make the best waffles on earth. Seriously.
(Once you work out the burner setting/time that's ideal on your stove.... make extra batter for your inaugural batch. )

Buy two, though, so that it doesn't take forever to make breakfast.

We've never had a problem with stickage--- just use butter and a heat-safe pastry brush or oil spray between waffles, and a fork to lift them. Afterward, use a scrubee and hot water to clean (no soap). When it's dry, rub it down with a bit of oil before you store it.

Hth,
alsoSarah

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
#5 of 10 Old 06-29-2009, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mamas! I was just reading reviews on Amazon and one reviewer mentioned seasoning and how b/c of the smoke you need a good hood/vent, which we don't have (cheap builder house, NO vent to the outside, believe it or not, just the dinky filter). Am I right in thinking the smoke buildup is only from the seasoning process? I guess I could season it in the oven. I've seasoned my skillet on the stove after using soap, but it was a Lodge so already preseasoned, not much smoke or anything resulted.

Ugh, the battle with chemicals goes on. Not to derail my own thread, but it's such a mighty PIA. Like today I'm supposed to go to Kohls to get some glass bowls so we can stop using our toxic plastic. I almost wish they would just ban all toxic materials to force me to do these things b/c honestly, researching/shopping/buying all this stuff just makes me want to eat Teflon. Just a little. LOL!
#6 of 10 Old 06-29-2009, 02:34 PM

A lot of the more inexpensive cast iron waffle makers I've seen are made in China. Is this safe? Would you/have you bought and used cast iron from China? If not, do you have a source for one made in Europe, or at least NA?
#7 of 10 Old 06-29-2009, 02:47 PM

I would season in the oven, not the stovetop. it shouldn't smoke if you use a lower temp, and bake for longer. Follow the directions on this website: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Infor...stIronPans.htm Also, with thr crappy hood on your range, open a window in the kitchen or nearby, and turn on a fan in the room. This will help th e hood vent work better. HTH, btdt.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#8 of 10 Old 06-29-2009, 02:54 PM

Hmmm... I've never had any smoke issues at all, I'm not sure why the reviewer would have.

My waffle iron was made by Rome. I'm not sure where it was made, presumably not Rome. I picked it up at a sporting goods/camping type store for $15. You can often find really old (read: already very well-seasoned) ones at antique stores, too.

alsoSarah

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
#9 of 10 Old 06-30-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post
Thanks, mamas! I was just reading reviews on Amazon and one reviewer mentioned seasoning and how b/c of the smoke you need a good hood/vent, which we don't have (cheap builder house, NO vent to the outside, believe it or not, just the dinky filter). Am I right in thinking the smoke buildup is only from the seasoning process? I guess I could season it in the oven. I've seasoned my skillet on the stove after using soap, but it was a Lodge so already preseasoned, not much smoke or anything resulted.
You can also season on a BBQ - takes care of any smoke problem right there.

And we don't have a hood vent at all - but a window mounted twin blade fan has helped TONS with the build up of smells/smoke in the kitchen. Best $40 I've spent in a while.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#10 of 10 Old 08-05-2009, 05:37 PM

here is a neat link to some really great no teflon waffle-irons

http://www.toastercentral.com/waffles.htm

good luck

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page