Embarrassed by the (new) old, filthy house - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-26-2009, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just moved into military quarters in TX. To make a long story short, it is disgustingly filthy, and they don't care. They sent someone over to "clean" it when we complained, and all they did was swish around the dirt.

They painted over the dirt on the base boards, but it shows through. They caulked over the mold in the bathrooms, but it shows through. They painted over the dirt on the stair rails and doors; when I tried to wipe off the dirt today, I wiped off an entire coat of paint as well. The grease that is glued on the burners isn't coming off, I already tried. The floor is industrial-looking linoleum, that has decades of dirt ground into it.

I have already cleaned the windows and window wells with a toothbrush. There was so much dirt in there that I am barely exaggerating when I say I could have planted grass instead.

They sprayed for bugs, but the house is so utterly unsealed that I fine 1/2 dozen ants and/or spiders inside every day. I HATE ants. We are sticklers about rinsing plates off before they go in the dishwasher, not leaving a scrap of food out, etc.

We're doing the best that we can, and it does look better now. But I guess I'm still embarrassed by it. And it's not even my fault! Not many people live on base, so they're in new apartment complexes where dirt hasn't accumulated since WWII.

I know I shouldn't care what other people think, and that I should be secure in my knowledge that it is as clean as it can be, given the circumstances, but still...

I guess this is more of a rant that anything!

Only 6 months...then we move again, thank God!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-26-2009, 05:01 PM

My deepest sympathies. We are military and this is exactly why we do not live on post. The older housing is *disgusting*. Friends have had rats eat through the sewer pipes in the apartment above them, other friend has the sewer pipes in thier basement break due to the foundation shifting, not to mention horrid paint jobs (I mean, stark white paint SLAPPED on in the most lazy fashion), dirt engrimed floors. The housing management does not care.

No need to be embarrassed. The military/govt should be ashamed of the housing they provide to soliders and their families. Everyone who is military has eperiences with military housing, no one is going to judge you for it.
#3 of 9 Old 07-26-2009, 11:04 PM

That's horrible! I don't have anything but sympathy, but wanted to say that I'm in NTX in a clean new house and I fight ants and spiders all summer long. I think they're the original Texans. Get yourself some of those plastic ant traps for inside, and go outside and sprinkle Terro or Moro or whatever on the mounds by your house and that'll fix 'em. I don't have any tips for the spiders (ugh!!), just hopes that they're eating mosquitoes, the other Texas native.
#4 of 9 Old 07-27-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annekevdbroek View Post
No need to be embarrassed. The military/govt should be ashamed of the housing they provide to soliders and their families. Everyone who is military has eperiences with military housing, no one is going to judge you for it.
This. I'm sorry you have to deal with such a crappy housing office. But it's their fault, not yours, no need to be embarrassed. Hopefully the time will pass quickly and you'll be leaving that place behind before you know it.
#5 of 9 Old 07-27-2009, 09:14 AM

Use spray on oven cleaner on the burners. It works great!
#6 of 9 Old 07-27-2009, 10:39 AM

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry! The LEAST our military families deserve is a clean home, that's just shameful

Our floors are industrial tiles from the '40s, so I can sympathize with that part. There are these new mopheads out with Mr. Clean magic erasers on them. I suggest scrubbing the floors really well with one of those and then re-sealing/waxing them. I haven't resealed mine yet, but the magic eraser mop got the floors cleaner than anything else I've tried.
#7 of 9 Old 07-27-2009, 02:24 PM

That's awful. I got a little shiver down my spine just reading about the mold. Thankfully it's only for 6 months.
#8 of 9 Old 07-27-2009, 05:50 PM

I'm so sorry you have such a crappy housing office. At least it's only for 6 months. We have a really nice house on base so not every housing office is like that- hopefully the next will be a lot better!

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#9 of 9 Old 07-30-2009, 06:26 PM

My sister and her husband are retired Navy. She always would tell me how horrible the housing was- everywhere they went.. but on the upside, they fixed up every house they ever were living in.. landscaping, repainting, woodwork.. the whole deal, so there HAVE to be some nice houses out there somewhere!

She said there was usually an office where the families could go to get supplies to fix up the places? Not sure what it was called? but basically she said the supplies were free just that she had to put in a lot of her own labor?

Not sure if that was just Navy, or if most branches have that?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page