Reusable sandwich bags - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2009, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter
cdc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!

I am planning to make some reusable sandwich bags, but want to know a bit about different experiences you guys have had....

What have you used, and what were your likes/dislikes? (not brands, just basic construction)

If you tried them, and do not use them regularly, what problems did you have?

I have seen some FS that are lined with nylon or PUL...and plain cotton ones.

Anyone have any long term experience they would share with me??

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2009, 04:32 PM

I read this on Friday but since I don't have long term experience I didn't answer. However, since no one else has answered yet, I thought I'd chime in with my short term experience.

I am not crafty so didn't make my own but the company we bought them from did testing on both the cotton and nylon that it uses. The cotton was lead and phthalate free. The company's FAQ says this about the nylon lining: "The tests revealed that the nylon is free of heavy metals (including lead), phthalates, PBBs, and PBDEs."

We've had them for a few months now and love them. They are super easy to clean, even when pb&j gets stuck on the inside. They are machine washable and then we just set them out on the counter to dry. If they aren't super-messy, I usually just rinse it out.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:19 AM

First of all, kudos to you for being both crafty [I]and[I] green!

The main complaint I have about reusable sandwich bags is that they usually have cloth on one side and PUL on the other, so when you wash them you have to wait for the cloth to dry before using them again. I don't know about you, but I'm the type of person that "forgets" about washing the sandwich bag until the last minute and then I have to use a plastic baggie because I have to wait for the darn thing to dry! I bought some all-plastic types of bags that have solved the problem. Not sure if that kind of thing would be easy to make though.

Mama to Paisley (3/07) & Violet (12/10) and wife to my Piggy-love. 
Old 08-12-2009, 11:28 AM

I do the same thing so I have two sandwich bags for each kid and three snack bags per child.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:53 PM

I make sandwich wraps and snack bags. My wraps are a 13 inch square of PUL, (cotton on the outside and laminated with polyurethane) and then lined with hemp jersey. Even though the PUL is food safe, I don't really want my food sitting on it. So I lined the wrap with the hemp. You put your sandwich on the wrap, fold the two sides over it, then fold up the top and bottom. THe wrap is secured with velcro. I have heard of people using ribbon to tie the wrap closed as well. Not only does your sandwich stay fresh, but when you unwrap it, you have a nice little placemat to eat from. My snack bags are made of the same fabrics. They are styled like the old fashioned sandwich bags that have a fold over top. I have used mine for over a year now and have sold many with no complaints. If they just have crumbs, I just shake them out and throw them back in the basket I keep them in. If they are dirty, I throw them in the sink while I'm washing dishes. I have a little clothes line above my sink and hang them to dry with the cutest little clothespins I found. If they are really dirty, I throw them into the washer with a load of towels. I also dry them with towels in the dryer. I've had no problems. I would not dry them without the bulk of other clothes in with them. Also do not microwave in them. The PUL could melt.

We love our wraps.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
Old 08-15-2009, 01:06 AM

I use snack taxis and I love them. Are they pul? I didn't think so. I really like them and mine have held up very well.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:52 AM

hmm, are there any other ziploc bag alternatives? I have no idea what pul is or where to buy it and I am not a good sewer anyway - we do have two sewing machines - one is an old black portable singer that was my grandmas and it probably qualifies as antique - but it will sew a straight line - and the other one someone gave me - I don't know how to use it but my teenage dd has used it a few times.
Anyway - the ones on the link to buy seem a bit expensive to me and a pain to have to wash them all of the time - I would need quite a few since I would not get around to washing them daily.
So, what else is ok to put sandwiches and snacks in for school lunches to replace the ziploc bag?
I want to go greener, but it has to be simple and cheap too.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I really like our Snack Taxis (used to be called Happy Sacks.) We also have a few Wrap-n-mats. I just rinse in the sink most of the time and pop in the washer when needed.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:00 PM

I put sandwiches (and other foods) in a small containers that go in the dishwasher everyday.

Carma
Old 08-19-2009, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmomof3 View Post
hmm, are there any other ziploc bag alternatives? I have no idea what pul is or where to buy it and I am not a good sewer anyway - we do have two sewing machines - one is an old black portable singer that was my grandmas and it probably qualifies as antique - but it will sew a straight line - and the other one someone gave me - I don't know how to use it but my teenage dd has used it a few times.
Anyway - the ones on the link to buy seem a bit expensive to me and a pain to have to wash them all of the time - I would need quite a few since I would not get around to washing them daily.
So, what else is ok to put sandwiches and snacks in for school lunches to replace the ziploc bag?
I want to go greener, but it has to be simple and cheap too.
Do a search on www.etsy.com in the handmade section for reusable sandwich bags. You can find ziploc bag alternatives for $3-$5/each. Some are lined with nylon on the inside. Some are lined with flannel. Some use a fabric on the inside similar to cloth diapers. There's a real variety on Etsy.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.

User Tag List