Kirkland (Costco) Natural Dish Soap and Laundry Detergent...any good? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-14-2009, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw them today and while it appears to be a good choice what is the truth? There labels don't appear to be completely honest, but if they are a good safe, clean, environmental choice then I will buy them. What do you think?
#2 of 7 Old 08-16-2009, 02:24 AM

Well, I bought the dish soap (not for the dishwasher) and I like it. It works well and smells nice - kind of grapefruity. How true their claims are about being environmentally friendly, I don't know. But in general Costco seems to be "above board" on most things.

I also tried the all-purpose spray cleaner from the same line of products and I like that too. The only thing I found it wasn't so good for was mirrors - it leaves them streaky.
#3 of 7 Old 08-16-2009, 09:52 PM

You might want to smell it before your buy - Greenmansions liked the smell but I didn't; I think ours was lavender. I bought the hand dish soap last year when I ran out of my usual brand and I hated the smell. It gagged me but I didn't want to waste the huge bottle so my husband uses it in the garage and outside.
#4 of 7 Old 08-16-2009, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We got the lavender laundry detergent, and our clothes smell like mildew. (The detergent itself smells great, but the aftermath is not so good...) We have a front-loading HE machine, though, so I don't know if that's just not a good choice for our machine or what. We had used the free & clear before with no problems, so now I'm going to try it again and see if I can get rid of the mildewy smell.
#5 of 7 Old 08-17-2009, 09:39 PM

I've gotten the dishsoap, and it's okay. There are other 'natural' brands I do like better, but it's better than others I've used before too. Smell wise, it's kinda 'meh' - sorta a weird mix, but seems to work fine.
#6 of 7 Old 08-18-2009, 03:30 PM

A good friend uses the laundry detergent, and their family's clothes always look dingy and fade WAY before ours do (we both shop at The Children's Place often and our kids have several matching outfits, so I can compare apples to apples in this case, kwim?) and I know she washes about as often as I do. Not sure about the smell, though.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#7 of 7 Old 08-18-2009, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I've tried both. The dish soap is 100% satisfactory. The laundry soap I'm not yet sure about because I tried it in a few loads but then went back to finishing the two open containers of other brands I already had so as to reduce clutter in the laundry room! I have a feeling it may not rinse out completely because of the way the wet clothes feel, but they are not actually sudsy and I haven't noticed any film on them.

As for fragrance, my Costco only has unscented and citrus. I like the smell of the dish soap. The laundry soap is slightly strong and flowery for my tastes, but the smell fades after a couple of days, and it does help to keep things smelling fresh in my musty : closet. I've learned not to buy lavender-scented natural products because they too often smell like mud.

KayleeZoo, are you sure your friend uses the Kirkland NATURAL (plant-based) detergent? It's been available less than a year, at least here in Pittsburgh, so I wouldn't think that's enough time to make a visible difference. Do you know if your friend washes in hot water while you wash in cold, or line-dries in the sun while you dry another way? Those things can make a big difference in fading.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page