Please suggest non toxic flooring for playroom - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-21-2009, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!!

I have been driving myself crazy looking for a floor covering for a playroom that is non-toxic and does not offgas. It's for my 9 month old daughter who has just begun to crawl. I want a floor surface that is soft and cushiony so that as she crawls and later walks, she will be protected.

I am not looking to cover the entire surface area of the room. (I already have a nice wood floor in the room) I am, though, looking to cover a large area of the room. Those cushy foam type floors that are used in daycare centers and on playgrounds would be perfect, but I don't trust them. I'd even go with a large natural rug and natural rug pad, but I haven't found one that is supersoft and free of chemicals.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

Katherine
#2 of 6 Old 08-21-2009, 07:36 PM

What about cork flooring? I know you can get it in tiles, sheets, and planks (I think). Maybe you can make a cork "area rug"?

Cristina, Mama to Michael 03-16-06, Nathan 01-16-11, and an angel 01-20-09,
Go with your gut, follow your heart.
#3 of 6 Old 08-22-2009, 02:40 AM

There are 100% wool rugs out there that are soft and cushy. There are rugs made from 100% recycled materials that are soft and cushy.

We have floating cork floors (click-n-lock planks) throughout our main level now and LOVE it!

You didn't mention a budget, but you could basically create a second floor on top of your hardwood with a floating cork floor. It is definitely more cushioning than hardwood and it would leave your hardwood perfectly intact for when you wish to expose it again later.

All that said, I would leave the floor as is. Your baby will be okay...

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#4 of 6 Old 08-29-2009, 04:16 PM

We have an organic wool rug from Earthweave and love it. One of the side benefits of the organic wool rug is that it still contains lanolin. So now that my dd is learning to use the toilet, the little accidents on the rug have been so easy to clean up! The pee beads up on the wool and leaves no smell since the lanolin is self-cleaning. It's also nice and soft.
#5 of 6 Old 08-30-2009, 08:22 AM

I second the earthweave recommendation. You can get it either wall to wall or cut to a specific size and bound for an area rug. Make sure to be careful with your slecion of a rug pad - this is something that will offgas just as much if not more than a chemical-laden rug. Look for a natural rubber/latex version - I think earthweave has one, but there are others, too.

Also - I just recently got a capel rug for our nursery - they have a small selection of organic rugs that are so soft and beautiful - here's a link: http://www.capelrugs.com/category.aspx?id=1000236916 I like ours a lot! The earthweave is great, but you can't get a lot of color or pattern from them, so if you're looking for more color, this would be a good bet.

We got ours for over half off the internet price I found by taking advantage of a local store's deal of 'we'll take off 15% from any internet price', so it became very affordable!

The colors of those online look much more boring than they are in real life. We've got the 'cedar' version, which looks brown online, but is really a pretty green color mostly.
#6 of 6 Old 09-02-2009, 12:19 AM

earthweave for area rugs and cork flooring for all over would be my first picks! we love our cork living room....very nice to play on.

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page